**Official Iowa vs. Minnesota Football Thread - FRIDAY 6:00pm - FS1**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I texted my friend after the Minnesota interception. I was emphatic that no team has ever won a game when returning an interception to their opponents 10 yard line and having to settle for a punt so the game was over.

I had no idea that Minnesota would follow that up later with a 10 minute drive that ended in a field goal that was blocked and looked more like one of my breakfast balls than a division 1 football play.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
their WRs last year were pretty awesome
They literally only lost Tyler Johnson on offense. Bateman and Autman-Bell are still on the team. I know they’re down a couple lineman but they’re awful.

Of course Phil is a fucking wizard. Their 10 minute drive was the definition of bend but don’t break. Ate up an 2/3 of a quarter and resulted in 0 points.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Now that we are halfway through the regular season, I think we can at least have a little idea about this team....

- They're good. The run game is the best it has been since 2015. The Defense is getting saltier every game.
- Petras is not good. I certainly don't think he is the answer for the next 3 years
- Tory Taylor is absolutely fucking ridiculous
- Team is improving every game. They are 2 plays away from being 4-0 and in control of the Big Ten West
- If this team had a regular off-season, spring ball, camp and 3 or 4 games to work the cobwebs out, they would have been really good potentially

The rest of this short season hinges 1000% on Petras becoming not shitty. 50% completion rate, staring down receivers, poopy pants in the pocket and horrendous INT's is not going to cut it even against a down Penn State, Nebrantska and especially not Wisconsin.

I wouldn't be shocked if they ran the table. I also wouldn't be shocked if they are 4-4.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Whatever Kirk said to PJ after the game, I guarantee you it ended in <SNORT!>.

thrawn

Reaction score
They literally only lost Tyler Johnson on offense. Bateman and Autman-Bell are still on the team. I know they’re down a couple lineman but they’re awful.

Of course Phil is a fucking wizard. Their 10 minute drive was the definition of bend but don’t break. Ate up an 2/3 of a quarter and resulted in 0 points.
they were weirdly fine with that drive taking forever and you know Phil loved it.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I will continue to pound home that they were the luckiest fucking team on earth last year in addition to having a crazy easy schedule. They legit could/should have lost their first 4 games of the year.

They beat up on a mediocre Illinois and bad Nebrantska and Northwestern team. Rutgers and Maryland were both horrible and were 2 of their crossover games they won. I watched the entire Penn State game and Penn State fucked up so may times in scoring position it was ridiculous. Wisconsin beat them down.

The win against Auburn was good in the bowl game. Can't take anything away from them on that.

People are shocked this year they are bad, but imagine if they would have come off a more realistic 7 or 8 win season instead of 11 wins and the Fleck hype machine.

thrawn

Reaction score
If the freshmen QBs also suck they need to look at grad transfer QBs next year. Yes, it’s four games, but Petras isn’t even showing flashes of being good and would do well at Sacramento State. Don’t fuck around too long pretending he is the answer.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

They lost Rodney Smith too. But Tanner Morgan has certainly regressed from last season.

they only returned 5 starters on D and lost 5 of the 6 top tacklers from 2019

douglasbader

Reaction score
We also shouldn't be all that surprised Iowa beat up on this team. They can't stop the run and their offense is built on taking big shots down the field. They thrived on it last year. Even starting this year they were hitting big shots against a Michigan team that refuses to play zone.

Phil's defense is just built to do exactly what it did to them tonight.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
Some folks claim Sanford ruins qbs. As a Packers fan, I choose to believe it.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
Players can improve, but there's nothing about Petras that inspires confidence.
The most troubling thing was how he reacted after the INT. The only reaction he should have had was to shake his head knowingly accept that he made a decision most 8th grade QB's would know not to do.

Instead he was acting shocked and trying to talk it out as if he was right but something screwy happened.

He has no touch, wildly inaccurate, doesn't process the field, locks onto receivers, pre-determines where he is throwing even if it isn't there and looks lost.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
MN has an awful defense and Petras still looked terrible

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Now that we are halfway through the regular season, I think we can at least have a little idea about this team....

- They're good. The run game is the best it has been since 2015. The Defense is getting saltier every game.
- Petras is not good. I certainly don't think he is the answer for the next 3 years
- Tory Taylor is absolutely fucking ridiculous
- Team is improving every game. They are 2 plays away from being 4-0 and in control of the Big Ten West
- If this team had a regular off-season, spring ball, camp and 3 or 4 games to work the cobwebs out, they would have been really good potentially

The rest of this short season hinges 1000% on Petras becoming not shitty. 50% completion rate, staring down receivers, poopy pants in the pocket and horrendous INT's is not going to cut it even against a down Penn State, Nebrantska and especially not Wisconsin.

I wouldn't be shocked if they ran the table. I also wouldn't be shocked if they are 4-4.
That is descriptive of a lot of Iowa teams.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Name a bad Iowa QB that Kirk pulled without dragging his feet

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
The most troubling thing was how he reacted after the INT. The only reaction he should have had was to shake his head knowingly accept that he made a decision most 8th grade QB's would know not to do.

Instead he was acting shocked and trying to talk it out as if he was right but something screwy happened.

He has no touch, wildly inaccurate, doesn't process the field, locks onto receivers, pre-determines where he is throwing even if it isn't there and looks lost.
I thought Petras looked like he was pissed he made that threw and knew it was bad. But I am not the body language pro like you.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That is descriptive of a lot of Iowa teams.
Well, except for 2012 it sort of remains true for all of Kirk's teams since 2008. Iowa has raised the floor in the last 7 years, but they are shockingly consistent.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Fleck should have left. Horrible decisión. He could have gotten an ELITE job.

As it is, he's about to be Glen Mason. If he's lucky.