**Official Iowa vs. Minnesota Football Thread - FRIDAY 6:00pm - FS1**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I thought Petras looked like he was pissed he made that threw and knew it was bad. But I am not the body language pro like you.
I think you are right, but I'm not convinced he knew why it was bad. It was fucked from the snap, and that was all because of him.

thrawn

Reaction score
I hate to lean on “it”, but Petras just doesn’t have ”it”. There aren’t flashes, he just isn’t going to be the guy.

Mostly everything else was awesome.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
We’ve had quarterbacks that have looked this consistently shitty after four games: Jake Christensen and Jake Rudock. Hopefully it doesn’t take Kirk as long to accept it this time.

Reaction score
I will continue to pound home that they were the luckiest fucking team on earth last year in addition to having a crazy easy schedule. They legit could/should have lost their first 4 games of the year.

They beat up on a mediocre Illinois and bad Nebrantska and Northwestern team. Rutgers and Maryland were both horrible and were 2 of their crossover games they won. I watched the entire Penn State game and Penn State fucked up so may times in scoring position it was ridiculous. Wisconsin beat them down.

The win against Auburn was good in the bowl game. Can't take anything away from them on that.

People are shocked this year they are bad, but imagine if they would have come off a more realistic 7 or 8 win season instead of 11 wins and the Fleck hype machine.
I was listening to local radio and they had the Gophers radio guy on. The question was asked about what the fan base thinks of Fleck. He said they were happy with last season and willing to have a down season this year, but concerned with the level of recruiting.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
We’ve had quarterbacks that have looked this consistently shitty after four games: Jake Christensen and Jake Rudock. Hopefully it doesn’t take Kirk as long to accept it this time.
2012 jimmy v

douglasbader

Reaction score
I hate to lean on “it”, but Petras just doesn’t have ”it”. There aren’t flashes, he just isn’t going to be the guy.

Even though Big Nate had plenty of games he shit his pants and terrible throws, he from the very start had at least a few ounces of "it".

His first start was on the road in Ames in a shoot out and with 2 minutes left he led his team on a drive where he made huge throw after huge throw. Then he went into overtime and made a fantastic throw to win the game in a walk off. He had many other games where he did this as well. His last drive against Nebrantska in 2018 and 2019 were fucking awesome.

I see nothing of that in Petras. It isn't like he hasn't had the opportunity. In the first 2 games of his starting career he had back to back opportunities to run a 2 minute drill and win the game. You never had even a hope he would do anything.

thrawn

Reaction score
Even though Big Nate had plenty of games he shit his pants and terrible throws, he from the very start had at least a few ounces of "it".

His first start was on the road in Ames in a shoot out and with 2 minutes left he led his team on a drive where he made huge throw after huge throw. Then he went into overtime and made a fantastic throw to win the game in a walk off.
other than missing deep balls he was awesome that game. They had 5? 85+ yard drives. He was inconsistent and never ironed it out, but he showed more than Petras has. It just isn’t there.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I thought it was very encouraging that they brought in Padilla as early as they did in the 4th quarter. That was not Ferentz like at all. They were up 28-0, but nearly every time in that same situation on the road in a conference game they would opt to leave the starter in, especially a young starter that needs reps.

That tells me they know at least on some level. They are as worried about Petras as everyone is.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Maybe give him one more chance against Penn State and if he still sucks give Padilla a try against Nebrantska.

douglasbader

Reaction score
other than missing deep balls he was awesome that game. They had 5? 85+ yard drives. He was inconsistent and never ironed it out, but he showed more than Petras has. It just isn’t there.
Yep. 5 TD passes. 5 drives of 85+ yards. Led them down the field and into overtime for a win.

Wadley rightly gets the fame from that win, but Stanley was the MVP.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Enthusiasm for the near term future of Iowa football is tempered by the QB situation. And it really sucks because this would be a really good team with just decent qb play.

I hope Kirk has learned from past decisions, but my level of optimism is low.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score

He has a once in a lifetime opportunity to play as many as 10 games without using up any eligibility. He’s probably going to be the guy unless someone else comes in and takes it. Hopefully he can learn a lot from ten games of “practice” tape and a full spring/summer of prep for his 4th year sophomore season.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t think any of kirks failure to switch QBs made a material difference in any particular season.

meaning, he will make a change if it wins us games

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I thought it was very encouraging that they brought in Padilla as early as they did in the 4th quarter. That was not Ferentz like at all. They were up 28-0, but nearly every time in that same situation on the road in a conference game they would opt to leave the starter in, especially a young starter that needs reps.

That tells me they know at least on some level. They are as worried about Petras as everyone is.
Except Padilla just handed it off every time. I think that was the case at least.

Reaction score
There use to be a huge cytwins like troll named TwinCities on the espn message boards around 2004-2009ish. I can’t imagine he is taking tonight very well on gopherhole

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t think any of kirks failure to switch QBs made a material difference in any particular season.

Lol. You're so fucking wrong.

It absolutely meant the difference between 9 or 10 wins and 7 wins in 2014.

It also meant the difference between 9 wins and 10 wins in 2008.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Disagree with the 2014 season that CJ was the answer over Rudock and most people knew it and they didn't make the switch. They pretty much acknowledged that mistake at the end of the year too.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Neither of our next 3 opponents (Penn State, Nebrantska, and Illinois) have a win yet.
That is swell. 5-2 would feel much better than 1-2 did this morning although two of those games worry me.

If only Petras could be Nathan Chandler, a big guy with some touch who thrived on a strong run game and play action....if only.

thrawn

Reaction score

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Mellowing out here after a very satisfying win over the Gophers once again. Sipping on Templeton, listening to Tedeschi Truks. See you boyz on the other side tomorrow.
Crank up “it hurt so bad” by Susan.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If the freshmen QBs also suck they need to look at grad transfer QBs next year. Yes, it’s four games, but Petras isn’t even showing flashes of being good and would do well at Sacramento State. Don’t fuck around too long pretending he is the answer.
This is the biggest issue. If he was a safety or linebacker you could understand missing a read or being out of position. That can be corrected with film study.

QB is just a different animal. He hasn’t made a throw yet that makes me think ‘ahhhh that’s why they like him.’ Once you lose it mentally at that position you’re done. They called some pretty easy routes for him and he still missed them.

Having said that, Jake C did have that one good game against NW in 2007, maybe Petras has a couple of those in him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
two 89+ yard drives in a 4Q they started down 10.

He was so good. I remember watching that game in Toronto at some giant sports bar and going nuts with some other Big Ten fans in between films at TIFF. One of the best weeks of my life.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Ricky wasn’t particularly good in 2008

you are just guessing on 2014
He was the obvious option against Michigan State. They win if he plays in the 2nd half.

2014 isn't a guess. Rudock was terrible and the team clearly rallied around CJ. They win at a minimum the Maryland and Nebrantska game with CJ and I think they beat Wisconsin and don't shit the bed in the bowl game either.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
My only confidence in Petras is that it seems like the Iowa coaches are as shocked as we are. I don't think it was that close in practice from everything communicated. The past competitions the coaches knew was a competition but this one seemed similar to the Stanley takeover where everyone knew who the next guy was. He's got off easy the last two weeks but will need to perform vs. Penn St or it's time to make a change by halftime of that game if it's going how it has.

douglasbader

Reaction score
One nice throw tonight was the deep slant to Tracy. That was a beaut. Not sure anything else really stuck out.
I hate to pick on him too much, but even that throw as perfect as it was seemed to be pre-determined. He was throwing that no matter if he was open or not, and thankfully his arm let him get it into a small window.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He was the obvious option against Michigan State. They win if he plays in the 2nd half.

2014 isn't a guess. Rudock was terrible and the team clearly rallied around CJ. They win at a minimum the Maryland and Nebrantska game with CJ and I think they beat Wisconsin and don't shit the bed in the bowl game either.
Rudock was the main reason we went from 4-8 to 8-4

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I hate to pick on him too much, but even that throw as perfect as it was seemed to be pre-determined. He was throwing that no matter if he was open or not, and thankfully his arm let him get it into a small window.
It was absolutely pre determined/the first read. I was just happy to see him hit it.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I was thinking it was Pitt. If Jake doesn’t lose that game, Kirk maybe doesn’t switch.

thrawn

Reaction score
This is the biggest issue. If he was a safety or linebacker you could understand missing a read or being out of position. That can be corrected with film study.

QB is just a different animal. He hasn’t made a throw yet that makes me think ‘ahhhh that’s why they like him.’ Once you lose it mentally at that position you’re done. They called some pretty easy routes for him and he still missed them.

Having said that, Jake C did have that one good game against NW in 2007, maybe Petras has a couple of those in him.
If you did a longest/hardest throw tournament of all the Iowa QBs he is probably top 3 or 2 with Fat Nate and CJ. So there’s that.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It also sucks that he's a statue. This is kind of a no shit thing to say about a quarterback, but for him to be good, he has to make good decisions and make accurate throws. His arm has to shine.

If he was mobile you could maybe roll him out and eliminate half of the field. Make one read then tuck it and get a few yards.