**Official Iowa vs. Minnesota Football Thread - FRIDAY 6:00pm - FS1**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I actually think James Vandenturd would have been great with this team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Biggest bummer is the coaches talking about him looking like a B10 QB in last year’s bowl practices and then everything suggesting he’s a natural leader. I honestly thought QB was in good shape coming into this season :icon_cry:
Same, and I don't think that was fake. QB is one of those positions though that you don't know how good someone truly is until you put them in and the bullets start flying. Some guys that might look mediocre in practice suddenly have good instinct in the game and vice versa.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here is the thing going forward, unless Petras suddenly wakes up and is awesome the rest of the season, the QB's you have demand a truly open competition.

The Wal-Mart Hawkeye Heaven crowd is going to be banging the drum hard for Deuce Hogan. Padilla is going to be gone shortly after spring practice if he feels he is in 3rd. The kid coming in can be your 3rd guy.

At least one of the current QB's won't be on the roster in April. It will be either Petras or Padilla that is gone. Shit, maybe both if Hogan is the QB after spring ball.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
We’ve had quarterbacks that have looked this consistently shitty after four games: Jake Christensen and Jake Rudock. Hopefully it doesn’t take Kirk as long to accept it this time.
Don’t compare rudock to Christiansen. One made an NFL roster.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We beat Minnesota by 28 and Doug is already talking about multiple transfers at the QB position. Enjoy the fucking victory for a night.
You're a lil' salty at me lately. Sorry.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The “coaches know best based on practice” narrative drives me insane. There is a huge difference when you’re wearing the red jersey in practice. Much easier to stand in and throw a dart knowing you won’t likely get hit.

Unless Padilla is awful in practice, he deserves a chance to play.

Based on Kirk’s history, they’ll lose 2-3 games based on Petras’ deficiencies before a change is made. Perhaps the COVID season will at least help Iowa sort out the QB issue.

Last edited:

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
The “coaches know best based on practice” narrative drives me insane. There is a huge difference when you’re wearing the red jersey in practice. Much easier to stand in and throw a dart knowing you won’t likely get hit.

Unless Padilla is awful in practice, he deserves a chance to play.

Based on Kirk’s history, they’ll lose 2-3 games based on Petras’ deficiencies before a chage is made. Perhaps the COVID season will at least help Iowa sort out the QB issue.
They’ve already lost 2.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Biggest bummer is the coaches talking about him looking like a B10 QB in last year’s bowl practices and then everything suggesting he’s a natural leader. I honestly thought QB was in good shape coming into this season :icon_cry:
Forgot one other thing...his arm being strong like Stanley, but his touch being much better. That really had me excited.

His touch has been a tie between dogshit and nonexistent.

Magic Cyclops

Will Be Here Saturday Night
Reaction score
Enthusiasm for the near term future of Iowa football is tempered by the QB situation. And it really sucks because this would be a really good team with just decent qb play.

I hope Kirk has learned from past decisions, but my level of optimism is low.
Kind of sums up my feelings of Iowa's win and Biden's win.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
We've been over this, but wasn't Vandenberg's senior season the worst of any Iowa QBs post 2001, from a numbers standpoint?

thrawn

Reaction score
We've been over this, but wasn't Vandenberg's senior season the worst of any Iowa QBs post 2001, from a numbers standpoint?
He had one touchdown through like eight games. It was kind of amazin.

Reactions: BBK
Reaction score
Ironically, Kirk played 3 QBs in each of his first two seasons. Different situation, though; he wasn't really invested in anyone.

This year I keep thinking of Kirk saying that, if he was sure about anything in 1987, it was that Chuck Hartlieb was the #3 quarterback. Under Coach Kirk, would the All-Big 10 QB who was 9-1 as a starter plus a win in relief have languished all year because he wasn't tall enough and couldn't throw a spiral? Would he not have yanked a struggling Poholsky down 14-6 in the 4th at Arizona? Does that team go 7-5 under McGwire, Poholsky or both? (That's not to say that a Padilla is a Hartlieb, of course.)

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
It's nice to have a day after the game when I'm not pissed. The defense is getting things figured out. The O-line was dominant last night. Petras looks like a two-star inserted into a game his freshman year after the first and second string QB's get hurt.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I thought it was Craig that was in the game late but it was Yahya Black who might be the largest human to ever put on the Iowa uniform.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
They had a delay of game running 2-minute drill at Northwestern. One of the most amazing things I’ve seen at a football game in person.
I don't remember that, but it seems to fit in with some of the clock management we've seen at times in the past.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Yeah but that was also GDGD first year wasn’t it? And who were the receivers? All things I could look myself but I’m relying on you.

castichawk24

Is Well Liked Here
Reaction score
I don't remember that, but it seems to fit in with some of the clock management we've seen at times in the past.
Not sure I've mentioned this before... But he once punted to end a half instead of throwing a hail Mary.

Only other time I saw that was the Dolphins decided to do it when Joe Philbin was the coach.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Yeah but that was also GDGD first year wasn’t it? And who were the receivers? All things I could look myself but I’m relying on you.
That was the KMM, CJF, Keenan Davis group. Add in Mark W and Bullock at RB. Not exactly stretch the field type skill position players.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Went to Mr. Kennedy's page, here is his first Tweet. What a douche. Also a DWI attorney.