**Official Iowa vs. Minnesota Game Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Our backs aren't that great. I said it earlier as well that they missed a lot of cutbacks on Saturday. I like Young the most but none of them have been anything but average. Hopefully film as the season goes on will help.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Our backs aren't that great. I said it earlier as well that they missed a lot of cutbacks on Saturday. I like Young the most but none of them have been anything but average. Hopefully film as the season goes on will help.
Young appears to mesh the best with the OL and what they try to do. Just doesn’t have top end speed.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Agree but I don't even care about top end at this point. He falls forward for 4 or 5 way more consistently. The other two are great at getting stuffed or getting 1 or 2 yards. Kelly Martin and Sargent should be the third down backs or get a series here or there.

Bob

Reaction score
Young has also had the benefit of getting the bulk of his carries in second halves when the defense is a little worn down, which I assume is intentional.

I don't think there was a ton for them to do against Minnesota, the defense sold out against the run even as it kept burning them in the pass game and our playcalling was firmly in "call outside zone 40 times and see if they can stop it" mode, which most teams with a pulse have figured out at this point. It was not the best game by our tackles either. I think Sarget looked the best of the backs in that game but I'm still pretty high on IKM. He has a burst the other two don't and brings something to the passing game. I'm fine with a pretty healthy rotation like we've had, none of them are necessarily stars but they all bring something to the table and can combine for a solid run game overall.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Young also doesn’t seem to get as much outside zone in his diet, and that’s where the bulk of the stuffing seems to occur.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Ferentz said something last week about how they like Young, but when he's in you know what it is. Basically that he's not much of an outside of pass catching threat. At least I think. I could be lying.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Agree but I don't even care about top end at this point. He falls forward for 4 or 5 way more consistently. The other two are great at getting stuffed or getting 1 or 2 yards. Kelly Martin and Sargent should be the third down backs or get a series here or there.
I think in person you will see how many holes Young & Sargent miss due to not having much quickness or speed. Ikm definitely has the highest ceiling of the three but he's been dinged

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Ferentz said something last week about how they like Young, but when he's in you know what it is. Basically that he's not much of an outside of pass catching threat. At least I think. I could be lying.
Lying has historically been your MO.

Reaction score
That play where Stanley missed Fant was great design and a sure fire touchdown if its on target. Hope to see it again

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I haven't been paying as much attention to this but do they do switch to more power running with young later in the game as opposed to zone running plays.

I would think Jackson and Wirfs would be more successful power run blocking, compared to zone with the understanding that zone running scheme is what they want.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
That play where Stanley missed Fant was great design and a sure fire touchdown if its on target. Hope to see it again
There was a time later in the game where the Gophers were totally selling out against the run where I thought they were going to run it again. Would have been there more than likely.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Just once when the other team is loading up the line and looking to tee off on our running backs at the end of the game when we're running out the clock I'd love to see us throw the freaking ball and stuff it

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Do we see the Fant end around again this year?

Bob

Reaction score
God that was so annoying. It must just go for like 50 yards every single time in practice because it's never worked in a game and they keep doing it

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
IKM is the most talented back by a wide margin IMO. The other two aren't anything special against good competition.

I actually think Toren is the least talented of the bunch... so

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Just once when the other team is loading up the line and looking to tee off on our running backs at the end of the game when we're running out the clock I'd love to see us throw the freaking ball and stuff it
Like at the end of the Minnesota game?

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
God that was so annoying. It must just go for like 50 yards every single time in practice because it's never worked in a game and they keep doing it
They’re setting it up. It’s going to be a TE pass, just watch.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I think in person you will see how many holes Young & Sargent miss due to not having much quickness or speed. Ikm definitely has the highest ceiling of the three but he's been dinged

IKM has the ability to put the foot in the ground and hit the cutback....but he still misses a lot of those reads.

Hoping that’s a function of experience, and that the “vision” developed as he sees more snaps.

I don’t think Sargent has that.

Bob

Reaction score
Watching us get roasted on a similar play at the end of the Wisconsin game made everything make a lot more sense. Teams should just be attacking us with nothing but TE handoffs.

I like Sargent. I don't want him as the number one back or anything but as a guy who comes in to spell a starter I think he's fine. He runs really hard and can contribute in the passing game

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I've mostly thought that IKM was the best of the 3, but something with him appeared off Saturday. He lacked burst, cutback ability, & went down on initial contact almost every time...

I suspect Toren missed a meeting or something, as he didn't play until the very first snap of the 2nd half.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Watching us get roasted on a similar play at the end of the Wisconsin game made everything make a lot more sense. Teams should just be attacking us with nothing but TE handoffs.

I like Sargent. I don't want him as the number one back or anything but as a guy who comes in to spell a starter I think he's fine. He runs really hard and can contribute in the passing game
Sargent is the worst of the 3 imo. He constantly misses the cutback. Hopefully that improves.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I've mostly thought that IKM was the best of the 3, but something with him appeared off Saturday. He lacked burst, cutback ability, & went down on initial contact almost every time...

I suspect Toren missed a meeting or something, as he didn't play until the very first snap of the 2nd half.
didn't look too bad on that little dump-off pass where he trucked the linebacker caught the pass and turned it into a nice gain

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

Iirc IKM twisted his ankle trying to run out of a tackle in the first half.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
And I hate to be overly critical, but man it seems like Brady Ross is sub-par, if not outright, whiffing his block A LOT.

But the overriding theme is still correct...teams are really attacking & scouting our primary stretch keys really hard. In the case of Minnesota, yeah, you still beat your head against a wall at least a little bit to set up waggle, misdirection, play-action, keep the pass rush in check & to spin the clock some. It's pretty sweet though to watch our passing scheme's develop under BF, though. With the pro scheme, physical running game, extensive use of pre-snap motion (to help diagnose zone/man), etc...we are very difficult to prepare for. If Brandon Smith & ISM are going to continue to come along...look out!

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Yeah I am disappoint in IKM based on the reports I got from spring and summer.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
He had a high ankle sprain the first game and hasn't been right since. He likely won't most of the season.

Bob

Reaction score
And I hate to be overly critical, but man it seems like Brady Ross is sub-par, if not outright, whiffing his block A LOT.
I've noticed this too, I think he's the worst blocking FB we've had in quite awhile. It's been fun to see him be so effective when he carries the ball though, I think he's the most reliable short yardage option we've had since Weisman, unless you want to count Beathard QB sneaks.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I've noticed this too, I think he's the worst blocking FB we've had in quite awhile. It's been fun to see him be so effective when he carries the ball though, I think he's the most reliable short yardage option we've had since Weisman, unless you want to count Beathard QB sneaks.
It is a big part of why we struggle on outside zone. He keeps getting beat to his spot and submarined or missing his block.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
It is a big part of why we struggle on outside zone. He keeps getting beat to his spot and submarined or missing his block.
Run blocking a ready linebacker in space is one of the most underrated difficult tasks in all of football.

My completely unbiased opinion.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Also.

Run blocking a linebacker who doesn't see you coming in space is one of the best tasks in all of football.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Run blocking a ready linebacker in space is one of the most underrated difficult tasks in all of football.

My completely unbiased opinion.
Agreed. One thing I’ve noticed with him that I haven’t with previous fullbacks is it seems he looks behind him on outside zone runs to see where the RB is going rather than just blocking the first guy that’s free. It looks awkward and leads to a lot of whiffs where he’s not even getting a piece of the guy he should be blocking.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I think its often a balance issue. Lots of fullbacks run with a head of steam and get their body weight out in front of them. If you make solid contact it makes for a hell of a block, if the linebacker jukes you or uses your momentum against you it leads to some ugly wiffs.

Reaction score
BTN getting weird at night and I am extremely *here* for it: