**Official Iowa vs. Northwestern Football Thread - 6:00pm - BTN**

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Everyone knew Petras was injured last week and it was obvious it only worsened when he handed off to Goodson on that last 3rd down

Reaction score
Padilla missed Tracy for a big gain over the middle early in the 2nd quarter, still hit Goodson for 20 on the next play. All we need is for him to be consistently above average.

Reactions: BBK

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Padilla missed Tracy for a big gain over the middle early in the 2nd quarter, still hit Goodson for 20 on the next play. All we need is for him to be consistently above average.
This is fucking great analysis.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
It is sort of pathetic how much Spencer Petras and Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz have lowered the bar for QB play at Iowa. It’s actually sad.
A couple of times yesterday I said to myself “wow, nice throw” when Padilla simply hit an open receiver in stride, even though it was a pass any decent HS QB could have made.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
A couple of times yesterday I said to myself “wow, nice throw” when Padilla simply hit an open receiver in stride, even though it was a pass any decent HS QB could have made.
For the most part his ball placement was pretty damn good.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Bullet point thoughts

- Padilla was much better than Petras. How the fuck did it take this long?

- Padilla had 4-5 plays that were inches/drops away from a much bigger day. Gives me hope

- Brian…what the fuck man?!?!? What..in…the…fuck.

- Clock management remains comically bad.

- I actually have no issue with Kirk’s “score than turtle” philosophy…if it was employed once Iowa was up 24, not 14. That game should not have been close.

- wondering what’s happened to the D. There doesn’t seem like the same killer instinct from earlier in the year
The D seems to be riding the emotion of the game. Against Wisconsin after the offense scored they came out and immediately forced a 3 and out. When the offense got stuffed on 2 fullback dives after that, they let up a little.

Same thing happened yesterday. Padilla gave them a spark and they played great. When the offense turtled up, they started missing tackles and leaving guys open.

Plus we’re 9 games into the season and there’s plenty of tape that show what does and doesn’t work against a team.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The D seems to be riding the emotion of the game. Against Wisconsin after the offense scored they came out and immediately forced a 3 and out. When the offense got stuffed on 2 fullback dives after that, they let up a little.

Same thing happened yesterday. Padilla gave them a spark and they played great. When the offense turtled up, they started missing tackles and leaving guys open.

Plus we’re 9 games into the season and there’s plenty of tape that show what does and doesn’t work against a team.
I was hesitating saying the same thing, but it sure as fuck looks like the D puts extra effort in when the offense is holding up their end of the bargain as well.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Well, getting rest on the sideline while the offense has a sustained drive vs going right back out after a 3 and out probably makes a difference.

Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

* The defense will get a much-deserved ass chewing in film review this week. That was SLOPPY. Hopefully they come out the next three weeks looking to prove that they are better than that.

* I was more impressed with Padilla in the second viewing. His performance wasn't perfect, but like Beathard against Purdue in 2014, he made several plays where you could see the potential for excellence. A few of the throws he made on the run, especially a couple to Bruce, were the kind of throws star QBs make. If Ferentz ever starts Petras over Padilla again, FUCK HIM for trying to prove some idiotic point.

* That deep slant that Charlie Jones dropped was a bullet, and it came on a play with a bad snap, and one play after a sack. That shows real confidence. Kind of the opposite of shitting your pants when things go a bit wrong.

* Speaking of Jones, the deep ball Padilla threw that initially looked like it was overthrown, was actually thrown perfectly and would have been right to Jones if the NW defensive back hadn't held on the play.

* Does KOK work at all with the Iowa QBs on putting touch on short-range throws? Fuck.

* The last drive of the first half was the perfect opportunity to let Padilla run a 2-minute drill in a low-pressure situation. And the staff royally fucked it up.

* The announcers were asking why NW wasn't using their QB more to run the ball, but Seth Benson shut that shit down real quick in the first quarter. When they started talking about the NW QB being a mobile guy, I had nightmares of all those successful QB draws and scrambles by the Wildcats in years past. But #44 wasn't having it.

* Van Ness is really quick for a DT. Once he builds more strength, he is going to be a load to deal with.

* People ask about Logan Jones pretty regularly, but I'm also wondering when Ethan Hurkett is going to be back, if at all. Early in the season, he looked like a guy who brought real quickness off the edge. It would be nice to have another guy like that to rotate in during the second half.

* I love that they're focusing on getting the ball to Johnson and Bruce, but it would be really nice to have a game where it felt like the staff really got the most out of the talent at WR and TE at the same time.

* Northwestern’s field condition was pathetic. How does a Big Ten school have such a shitty turf?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

* The defense will get a much-deserved ass chewing in film review this week. That was SLOPPY. Hopefully they come out the next three weeks looking to prove that they are better than that.

* I was more impressed with Padilla in the second viewing. His performance wasn't perfect, but like Beathard against Purdue in 2014, he made several plays where you could see the potential for excellence. A few of the throws he made on the run, especially a couple to Bruce, were the kind of throws star QBs make. If Ferentz ever starts Petras over Padilla again, FUCK HIM for trying to prove some idiotic point.

* That deep slant that Charlie Jones dropped was a bullet, and it came on a play with a bad snap, and one play after a sack. That shows real confidence. Kind of the opposite of shitting your pants when things go a bit wrong.

* Speaking of Jones, the deep ball Padilla threw that initially looked like it was overthrown, was actually thrown perfectly and would have been right to Jones if the NW defensive back hadn't held on the play.

* Does KOK work at all with the Iowa QBs on putting touch on short-range throws? Fuck.

* The last drive of the first half was the perfect opportunity to let Padilla run a 2-minute drill in a low-pressure situation. And the staff royally fucked it up.

* The announcers were asking why NW wasn't using their QB more to run the ball, but Seth Benson shut that shit down real quick in the first quarter. When they started talking about the NW QB being a mobile guy, I had nightmares of all those successful QB draws and scrambles by the Wildcats in years past. But #44 wasn't having it.

* Van Ness is really quick for a DT. Once he builds more strength, he is going to be a load to deal with.

* People ask about Logan Jones pretty regularly, but I'm also wondering when Ethan Hurkett is going to be back, if at all. Early in the season, he looked like a guy who brought real quickness off the edge. It would be nice to have another guy like that to rotate in during the second half.

* I love that they're focusing on getting the ball to Johnson and Bruce, but it would be really nice to have a game where it felt like the staff really got the most out of the talent at WR and TE at the same time.

* Northwestern’s field condition was pathetic. How does a Big Ten school have such a shitty turf?
I am pretty sure that Hurkett blew out his ACL and is done for the year.

Reaction score
It's possible he suffered a different injury after this, but this was the most recent mention of him I could find on Twitter.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Britt may be below average, but it's easy to look like you suck as a RG when the RT you're blocking with doesn't block. (Nick DeJong is utter fucking trash, worse than 2007-Western-Michigan-Kyle Calloway, and in my mind it's no coincidence that the offense turtled when they had to bring him back in at RT.)

Also, GTFO with the shit about Goodson. He dances too much, but when one side of the line can't block consistently you're going to have to do that. He's a fine back - I'd like him to be a little more decisive at times, but he's a I am a giant douche starter with wheels and athleticism. It'd be nice to have a brawler like Sargent to spell him, but Goodson is an excellent RB.

Padilla was surprisingly competent. Petras can go to hell. I've got nothing else.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
With regards to Padilla, I don't want to be the wet blanket, but I think a lot of our enthusiasm here has to do with the point of comparison he's being measured against. If we had been watching him as the starter for the last year and a half, I don't know that we'd be all that excited about his performance. I think he's fine - and don't get me wrong, after watching Petras trot out there I'm just as excited as everyone else to watch at least "fine" at the QB position. And I absolutely think you've got to keep starting him. But I don't think this is a Stanzi / Christensen situation - maybe in terms of the relative comparison, but not necessarily in the sense where the next guy in ends up being something of note.

douglasbader

Reaction score
With regards to Padilla, I don't want to be the wet blanket, but I think a lot of our enthusiasm here has to do with the point of comparison he's being measured against. If we had been watching him as the starter for the last year and a half, I don't know that we'd be all that excited about his performance. I think he's fine - and don't get me wrong, after watching Petras trot out there I'm just as excited as everyone else to watch at least "fine" at the QB position. And I absolutely think you've got to keep starting him. But I don't think this is a Stanzi / Christensen situation - maybe in terms of the relative comparison, but not necessarily in the sense where the next guy in ends up being something of note.
Right, but with the defense Iowa has all you need is a QB to be shockingly average. Not good, not great, just average.

Padilla can absolutely be middle of the road average #52 in the FBS sort of guy. Petras could barely get in the #80 range overall and was lower by a lot of other metrics.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Padilla was better. In my mind the reasons to be optimistic are
1) Padilla meshes better with the design of the offense and
2) There should be no incumbency next year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That is the biggest thing for me, the fact that right up until they made the change we were looking at another 17+ games of Petras playing including the offseason and all the other time that goes with it.

Now at the very least it is a wide open race going into 2022 unless Padilla turns out to be some stud.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’ll go on record and say I think that proper level of expectation for him moving forward is somewhere south of multi-time Heisman winner…but north of 2021 Spencer Petras.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see the % of Play Action this year vs previous.

My gut is that it’s much lower, because Petras has the athleticism of a baby deer on a frozen pond.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Sure. Like I said in chat, I think the biggest thing is that Padilla certainly seems to be much better with bullets flying, which particularly with the OL they're playing behind makes him the far superior option.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

My gut is that it’s much lower, because Petras has the athleticism of a baby deer on a frozen pond.
It could be confirmation bias, but it felt like there was more boot action. Edit: Against NW.

Last edited:

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Right, but with the defense Iowa has all you need is a QB to be shockingly average. Not good, not great, just average.

Padilla can absolutely be middle of the road average #52 in the FBS sort of guy. Petras could barely get in the #80 range overall and was lower by a lot of other metrics.
Petras doesn’t crack the top 100 in the country in a lot of metrics.

he’s historically bad for an Iowa QB

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

It's waaaaaaaaay lower.

What baffles me is that Petras could run our boot series. Not amazingly, but he had a decent throw to Lachey against PSU, and ran it fine most of last season. We simply stopped calling it for like 2 weeks.

Reaction score
We’ll see how we look after there’s film out there on Padilla. That 2nd half was tough to watch but most of that was on the OL. We’re still very out of sync up from and losing Richman hurt. Keep Padilla clean next week and we win by two scores easily.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Padilla is going to get his shot, and it's deserved. I have no doubt that SP won the job based on his body of work in practice over the last 3 years...but when the bullets start flying (ie, when things start to break down), he just doesn't have the decisiveness & playmaking ability to succeed.

Having said that, I'm loving & supporting him to the very end. While, 'he is who he is' to some extent, I still think some of his shortcomings are a product of excessive coaching & an over-emphasis on risk-aversion. I still think it's possible that he can be a Nate Stanley kind of player. I think watching AP come in & be decisive; throwing the ball into some tight windows can help him when he returns.

Last edited:

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
We’ll see how we look after there’s film out there on Padilla. That 2nd half was tough to watch but most of that was on KF. We’re still very out of sync up from and losing Richman hurt. Keep Padilla clean next week and we win by two scores easily.
Fixed.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think the most impressive thing about Padilla other than being able to actually move and throw on the run was that he seemed to go very quickly through his progressions, process and make a decision.
Yep. He actually sees the field and goes through his reads. That was, imo, the biggest issue for Petras. He often locked onto a target (usually LaPorta) and if that wasn't there, he shit his pants.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I think the most impressive thing about Padilla other than being able to actually move and throw on the run was that he seemed to go very quickly through his progressions, process and make a decision.
Padilla made more reads in 3/4 of football than Spencer “One Read and Fire It” Petras has made in his entire career.

Who knows, Padilla might end up sucking. Time will tell. But time has already told us that Spencer sucks.