**Official Iowa vs. Northwestern Football Thread - 6:00pm - BTN**

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
One thing we noticed as a bunch of high snaps all game.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I re-watched the 1st half last night specifically watching Tyler and the Oline play. I did not see any instances of hesitation or dancing in the 1st half with one exception where he had to juke a D lineman in the backfield as soon as he received the handoff. He actually got positive yardage on that play which could have easily been a loss. It was the only the 1st half but I could not find fault with anything he did during that time.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I re-watched the 1st half last night specifically watching Tyler and the Oline play. I did not see any instances of hesitation or dancing in the 1st half with one exception where he had to juke a D lineman in the backfield as soon as he received the handoff. He actually got positive yardage on that play which could have easily been a loss. It was the only the 1st half but I could not find fault with anything he did during that time.
Wut?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Anyone have a link for this replay? The BTN appears to have said fuck off with a FB in 60 version. I can’t find the full game on an app.

Reaction score
Kittle, Sanders, and Kasper were pretty crazy as well.

I have some doubts about the quality of the data though, Keith Duncan is probably not the all-time Iowa leader in broad jump. :roll:

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Sanders ran a 4.4 at the combine? Damn. That is not a small man to be moving at such velocity.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Holy shit. You weren't kidding about Nick Bell.

6'2, 250 lbs and ran a 4.52 40 time. How did this guy not get drafted higher or have a better NFL career?
He got hurt.

I remember when I got his autograph when he was a senior at Iowa. I had it framed. It was my prized possession for years.

Reaction score
Sanders ran a 4.4 at the combine? Damn. That is not a small man to be moving at such velocity.

They might even be listing the average of his two times because I remember at the time it being reported that he ran a 4.36.

Not bad for a kid who ran a 4.6 when he arrived at Iowa.

Reaction score
I wonder if Bell would be playing running back if he enrolled this fall? I would think you'd look at him, but it did take until his 3rd year on campus before he started playing- as a fullback. It was year 4 before he was a tailback. Would they- and he- have the patience now?

There was a big RB called Jim Jensen in the 70s. 6-3+, 230. Good speed, but stiff, wth slow acceleration. Although he did have one amazingly good year for Denver, I can't imagine him playing RB now. TE-DE all the way, one would think. Jon Lazar was a decent 70s fullback, but probably a SS-LB candidate now. What do you do with a Lew Montgomery now? Norm Granger was arguably Hayden's best fullback, but not a tailback today, and at 5-9 and 215-20, not the size of a current fullback. David Hudson?

(Apologies to the yutes who haven't seen some of these guys.)

Reaction score
My memory was that they got Bell to come to Iowa because they told him they would let him play RB. IIRC, other schools wanted him as a defensive lineman.

David Hudson was a really talented guy, though injuries seemed to take their toll on him over time. He averaged a whopping 7 yards a carry as a sophomore, but then 4.1 and 3.8 his last two years. He was a hell of a blocker, so I can see him still being a fullback--or maybe a Tony Jackson/Erik Jensen kind of a tight end.

Montgomery was too small to play fullback now and not fast enough to be a tailback. I think he would be a linebacker if he were coming into Iowa now.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I very fondly remember the corny Waxahatchie Express 80s video board image in Kin-Nick.

Reaction score
My memory was that they got Bell to come to Iowa because they told him they would let him play RB. IIRC, other schools wanted him as a defensive lineman.

David Hudson was a really talented guy, though injuries seemed to take their toll on him over time. He averaged a whopping 7 yards a carry as a sophomore, but then 4.1 and 3.8 his last two years. He was a hell of a blocker, so I can see him still being a fullback--or maybe a Tony Jackson/Erik Jensen kind of a tight end.

Montgomery was too small to play fullback now and not fast enough to be a tailback. I think he would be a linebacker if he were coming into Iowa now.
Yeah, I think that's correct on Bell's recruitment. It could be a false memory, but it seems like Hudson exploded a quad making a long run against UTEP as a soph. He had been looking like a poor man's Earl Campbell early that year, but never showed that again.

I miss the old fashioned fullback who had ball skills. Most of those guys are just tweeners now, but they were terrific overall players. Having a small guard in that spot now doesn't seem like progress. But they didn't have 325 pound DL then.

SondyRules

Reaction score
Holy shit. You weren't kidding about Nick Bell.

6'2, 250 lbs and ran a 4.52 40 time. How did this guy not get drafted higher or have a better NFL career?
One of my prized possessions is my VHS to DVD transfer of the 1990 Iowa-Illinois game where Nick Bell and the boyz steamrolled them with Keith Jackson on the call.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's correct on Bell's recruitment. It could be a false memory, but it seems like Hudson exploded a quad making a long run against UTEP as a soph. He had been looking like a poor man's Earl Campbell early that year, but never showed that again.

I miss the old fashioned fullback who had ball skills. Most of those guys are just tweeners now, but they were terrific overall players. Having a small guard in that spot now doesn't seem like progress. But they didn't have 325 pound DL then.
love me some chip posting about old Iowa stuff and football in general. Would enjoy more if he predicted Hawkeye chest shittings more often

Last edited:

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Whenever I go back and watch 85 Iowa-Michigan I’m always surprised how much of a role Hudson played. Picked up a huge first down on the last drive. Ten year old me doesn’t remember much of him from that season/game, but I do remember Scott Helverson gettin screwed out of a touchdown.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Whenever I go back and watch 85 Iowa-Michigan I’m always surprised how much of a role Hudson played. Picked up a huge first down on the last drive. Ten year old me doesn’t remember much of him from that season/game, but I do remember Scott Helverson gettin screwed out of a touchdown.
You’re old! (I was 12)

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I wonder if Bell would be playing running back if he enrolled this fall? I would think you'd look at him, but it did take until his 3rd year on campus before he started playing- as a fullback. It was year 4 before he was a tailback. Would they- and he- have the patience now?

There was a big RB called Jim Jensen in the 70s. 6-3+, 230. Good speed, but stiff, wth slow acceleration. Although he did have one amazingly good year for Denver, I can't imagine him playing RB now. TE-DE all the way, one would think. Jon Lazar was a decent 70s fullback, but probably a SS-LB candidate now. What do you do with a Lew Montgomery now? Norm Granger was arguably Hayden's best fullback, but not a tailback today, and at 5-9 and 215-20, not the size of a current fullback. David Hudson?

(Apologies to the yutes who haven't seen some of these guys.)
norm lives a couple blocks away from me