**Official Iowa vs. Penn State Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Do they actually run it a disproportionality high number of times or do you just focus on the times it doesn't work so it feels like it? What are we talking about yesterday, like 3 plays?
That’s a fair question, and I admit to falling with groupthink about short side runs combined with some heavy confirmation bias. I’ve never actually counted myself, nor seen a count of short sided runs. I know they need to happen sometimes, but even when successful I tend to unreasonably hate them.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Do they actually run it a disproportionality high number of times or do you just focus on the times it doesn't work so it feels like it? What are we talking about yesterday, like 3 plays?
The problem is- say there are 3 or 4 shitty short side runs combined with an incomplete pass. You are talking 3 or 4 possession killing plays that set you up for a 3rd and long situation with a QB that has not shown alot of success. In trade for a play that even if it doesn't get strung out of bounds or stuffed for a loss- gets you minimal yardage.

Its not necessarily the short side runs- its the timing of when they are utilized that kills me.

Last edited:

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
My wife watching this on IG: “I bet Brian is in the background saying, “nice job crying, fag” to Kirk”. She felt bad immediately after and I’m still giggling.
Classy lady.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
We have looked better on straight blocked/iso plays for years. I realize some of that is the fact that it’s a change of pace, but maybe you make the zone the change of pace for awhile.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME YOU DIPSHITS IT'S ADVANTAGEOUS TO RUN TO THE SHORT SIDE OF THE FIELD BECAUSE IT IS EASIER TO GAIN THE FUCKING EDGE YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

gable_guy

Reaction score
I know it was brought up in chat, but somebody needs to start sneaking bacon bits or other meat in Alaric’s meals.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Do you understand the word “disproportionate?” I get why they ever run short side. Sorry for confusing you.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
They had some good short side of the field runs yesterday, especially with Sargent. They all just happened to happen on the opposite side of the field from the camera.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
lol

Taking a shot in the dark here, but maybe it's better to run disproportionately to the side in which there's a disproportionate advantage.

How about you just admit you didn't understand this aspect of football and move on? It's ok, there's many of you in Kinnick on gamedays.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
lol

Taking a shot in the dark here, but maybe it's better to run disproportionately to the side in which there's a disproportionate advantage.

How about you just admit you didn't understand this aspect of football and move on? It's ok, there's many of you in Kinnick on gamedays.
Why are you here again? Genuinely curious.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Iowa’s ability to get 2 or 3 yards on every QB sneak is amazing. My son and I were laughing our asses off watching the replay of the sneak for the TD watching Linderbaum come out of the pile on the other side 5 yards into the end zone. He’s an absolute wrecking ball.

IowaWigman

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Home of Kyle Van den Bosch, Levar Woods, Brandon Snyder, Kyle Groeneweg and Jake Newborg. Pretty remarkable for a school that has been between class 1A and A since 2006.
You left Michael Scholten off that list. Another great Iowa commit.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Iowa’s ability to get 2 or 3 yards on every QB sneak is amazing. My son and I were laughing our asses off watching the replay of the sneak for the TD watching Linderbaum come out of the pile on the other side 5 yards into the end zone. He’s an absolute wrecking ball.
I like how the officials just assumed Petras was somewhere right on the line and didn’t signal anything. Meanwhile he and the OL were halfway through the endzone.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
How much does Franklin last at Penn State?
Rank remaining tenure for the coaches at Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State:

Penn State- 1st really bad year, but hateable guy with some off the field stuff.
Michigan- program seems to be falling, guy’s a weirdo but has alumni status.
Ohio State- NFL

I’m going to with Harbaugh, Day, Franklin in order of departure.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Penn State- 1st really bad year, but hateable guy with some off the field stuff.
Ohio State- NFL

Harbaugh and Franklin aren't in any danger of being fired.

thrawn

Reaction score

Ohio State- NFL

James Franklin could be caught banging teenagers and wouldn’t get fired for off-field shit.

Last edited:

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Does anyone remember how bad Stanley and the offense looked during his first spring game? He turned out ok, but it took awhile. From what I can tell Petras has similar potential to Nate and definitely a stronger arm than Padilla. I know it’s easy to root for a change but I want Petras getting as many reps as possible the rest of the year

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I think Franklin’s buyout is something like $30M. Yeah that ain’t happening.

thrawn

Reaction score
I just don’t see a lot of changes this year. No one has $, it’s shitty to buy a coach out for $10+M when the assist SID making $64k got a two-week furlough, and the weird situation gives everyone an excuse.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
From an outsiders view, it appears that Penn State encourages their program to have as many off the field problems as possible.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I just don’t see a lot of changes this year. No one has $, it’s shitty to buy a coach out for $10+M when the assist SID making $64k got a two-week furlough, and the weird situation gives everyone an excuse.
I was under the assumption it was rarely money from the university used in these buyouts. Rather boosters?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I was under the assumption it was rarely money from the university used in these buyouts. Rather boosters?
Even if that is the case, they still have to give the money to the University and then the University has to pay it out.

That is a terrible terrible look this year when you have laid off staff, cut salaries and other sports.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
South Carolina is paying something like $13 million for firing Will Muschamp. They didn’t even let him finish the season.

douglasbader

Reaction score
South Carolina is paying something like $13 million for firing Will Muschamp. They didn’t even let him finish the season.
I think there will be a few outlier examples. South Carolina and the SEC are going to have an easier time getting away with it. The Big Ten won't be able to.

Reaction score
I saw Pottebaum at HyVee tonight, that mullet kinda sticks out in a crowd.

Reactions: BBK

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Does anyone remember how bad Stanley and the offense looked during his first spring game? He turned out ok, but it took awhile. From what I can tell Petras has similar potential to Nate and definitely a stronger arm than Padilla. I know it’s easy to root for a change but I want Petras getting as many reps as possible the rest of the year
rooting for a change this year is idiotic. my fear is that Spencer becomes entrenched despite Hogan or some other future recruit being clearly superior, a la Kyle and the Jakes

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Matt Millen was great. Loved how he called the FB leading the way on one of those early TD runs