**Official Iowa vs. Purdue Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
@douglasbader and @L. Wade Childress have been the two biggest voices of reason in this thread. I hope they are right (and believe they are).

Still, this game will sting for a long fucking time.
Maybe you are new here, but it’s possible that I am just taking a contrarian position and finding obscure facts that cannot be refuted, while not actually saying anything meaningful.

Reaction score
Van Valkenberg started in AJ’s place. Where the hell was the pressure going to come from?
I said this in chat, but Iowa defenses have struggled mightily as a unit when they can’t generate pressure with the front four. Iowa remains one of the most ineffective blitzing teams in college football

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
I think my favorite moment of the game was Joe Evans looking at the ref asking for a holding call while his jersey was ripped in half, shoulder pads exposed.
Stop blaming the refs. We aren't ISU

Reaction score
This in some ways is such a typical Iowa loss, seems to happen to the Hawks at a fairly predictable rate. Throw in all the drama inside and outside of the program and there you have it. Having to wait so long for them to finally play a game just makes it feel worse.
Again said in chat, these are the losses that will keep Kirk from going down as one of the better all-time coaches.

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
they were fucking awful. But Iowa had 5-6 other issues that were significantly larger contributors to that shit loss than a couple missed holding calls
If you watched the same game I did, you realize they weren't the deciding factor.

Reaction score
Other than an egregious holding not being called, I thought they were fine.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Stop blaming the refs. We aren't ISU
See my post above about the calls. I didn’t see anything in the game that was a bad call. It just looked funny.

Reaction score
I said this in chat, but I don't know what the fuck was going on with ISM, but he was a disaster.

His effort was terrible. He was chirping at his own guys, whining, making incredibly dumb decisions and didn't catch multiple passes that should have been easy.

The guy looked like someone that has been filled with everyone telling him how awesome he is for 10 months.
he looks to me like a guy who has little faith in the system around him at the moment.

It’s a weak minded, shitty response from a guy who’s supposed to be a leader, but it was pretty clear he was frustrated with all the stupid shit

would have liked to see him respond differently though

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The offensive play calling seemed alright. Just didn’t execute

Reaction score
Our defense was abysmal. I watched the game with four other football fans (not necessarily Iowa) and they all said the same thing, stop Bell and Wright and Iowa wins. An incredibly compensated defensve coordinator couldn't figure it out. Fuck Parker.
Yeah, Phil Parker sucks! Other football fans can see it! Ignore everything he's ever done. Can't just be fuckups from new pieces that have had to shuffle around with limited offseason.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Yeah, Phil Parker sucks! Other football fans can see it! Ignore everything he's ever done. Can't just be fuckups from new pieces that have had to shuffle around with limited offseason.
Before you get to my posts, I don't think Phil Parker sucks. I love him, but he does a game like this every once in a while and it is infuriating.

CamelTones

Reaction score
ISM looked injured, possible hamstring issue. He just didn’t have his usual explosiveness. Even on a throw that was a little high he barely got off the ground.

Reaction score
Sargent is the classic coach's favorite that has no business playing for a Big 10 team. Yet we've had to suffer through him for what seems like 10 years.
He had 11 carries for 71 yards and a TD. His fumble sucked, you don't need to get dumb.

Reaction score
Purdue is never a good matchup for our style of play. They may have lost Rondale Moore but Bell is right up there with him I think. They've got a lot of young talent at WR. The turnovers and penalties hurt today but not being able to stop the run or put up a decent pass rush hurt us even worse.
I’ll say this, Brohm’s strength is exploiting others teams’ weakness’

there’s a reason Bell was fucking open on nearly every fucking play; he absolutely dissected the fuck out of Iowa’s zone over and over and over.

where he’ll struggle is when he’s forced to man up against superior talent.

but what they did today was a far bigger endorsement of the coaching scheme than Bell’s individual talent

Reaction score
The offense was mostly fine. They left 3 scores on the field via turnovers or the coaches being retards.

Phil Parker should be whipped and beaten for his terrible game plan. Purdue and the Brohm's fucking own him and in the most simple of ways. They know Phil is too stubborn to get out of the bend don't break so the Brohm's say, ok, and they just feed it to the best player on the field over and over and over again.

You could have asked even a casual fan what the key to beating Purdue is given that Moore and the starting RB would be out, and every one of them would have said double cover Bell or get after the QB.

Nope. Phil refused both of the obvious solutions.
What coverage exactly do you think bend but don't break is? He mixed up plenty and brought pressure. We had some seriously key fuck ups, some of which were caused by motion, the last TD being a prime example.

Reaction score
Brian/Kirk tried to go "safe" at the end of the game by having Sargent carry the ball.

I have no idea why given they tried it last year and Sargent rewarded them by fumbling multiple times.

He isn't good.
Goodson: 16 carries for 77 yards. Sargent: 11 carries for 71 yards.

CamelTones

Reaction score
What coverage exactly do you think bend but don't break is? He mixed up plenty and brought pressure. We had some seriously key fuck ups, some of which were caused by motion, the last TD being a prime example.
I can’t believe they didn’t call a timeout before the snap on that last TD. Given the situation and the way Belton and Wade both seemed confused as to who was suppose to be lined up over Bell they shouldn’t have let that play get off. It was basically the defensive equivalent to the Stanley/Fant confusion at the end of the game at Penn State in 2018.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
We had 10 penalties for 100 yards, they had 3 for 21. We fumbled at their 10 and inside their 30 when we were close to icing the game. That's the story.
the story is actually giving up on our best qb recruit in 15 years after his first game. Get with the program man.

Reaction score
We had 10 penalties for 100 yards, they had 3 for 21. We fumbled at their 10 and inside their 30 when we were close to icing the game. That's the story.
I would add asinine (and unfortunately totally expected) clock management in a key situation

and horrific use of timeouts

CamelTones

Reaction score
I would add asinine (and unfortunately totally expected) clock management in a key situation

and horrific use of timeouts
I mean it sucked but people act like if they would have spiked it and thrown a pass they were guaranteed a touchdown.

Reaction score
I think the biggest disappointment from today, and it really should have been expected, is that Iowa was exactly what they always are when it comes to scheme on both sides and play calling.

For all the talk of Brian studying the last 10 months and wanting to change things up, it looked exactly the same as before. The plays were the same and formations were the same other than the obvious Wildcat stuff. The penalties and turnover fucked up the flow too often.

Defense looked EXACTLY the same despite the opponent making that scheme look silly over the past few years. Sit there in base, contain, send some late and weak pressure only in certain situations, bend and don't break until you finally do in the last 3 minutes and it costs you the game.

That seems to be part of the deal though with this staff and as an Iowa fan. Today it fucked them as it has many times before. 3 weeks from now it might get you a win at Minnesota and Penn State.
I'd like you to explain what scheme things you were expecting or would like to see. You seem to think any zone defense is base. We also zone blitzed and blitzed with man behind it.

The plays and formations were the same? So he didn't dream up stuff that never had been done, strike. They had plenty of constraint things that helped the outside zone work and kept them honest. They threw downfield plenty. Lot of gun in the pass and run game with spread, our regular base stuff and heavy stuff. Went shotgun with 10 and 15 as split backs. 2 TE's and 0 TE's. What are you looking for in regards to new formations and plays?

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
I'd like you to explain what scheme things you were expecting or would like to see. You seem to think any zone defense is base. We also zone blitzed and blitzed with man behind it.

The plays and formations were the same? So he didn't dream up stuff that never had been done, strike. They had plenty of constraint things that helped the outside zone work and kept them honest. They threw downfield plenty. Lot of gun in the pass and run game with spread, our regular base stuff and heavy stuff. Went shotgun with 10 and 15 as split backs. 2 TE's and 0 TE's. What are you looking for in regards to new formations and plays?
I appreciated the last sentence of this post especially after 15 years or whatever on these boards. He has no idea what he wants. No one ever does. He is just sure that something different would have worked.

Reaction score
Didn’t IKM enter the game before him? I could be mistaken but it seemed IKM got carries much earlier than he did
Sargent had 11 carries to IKM's 4. Sargent has been ahead of him effectively the last two years. IKM may have come in earlier but that was likely a package/play deal.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score

I was looking for a lot more of the misdirection runs. They did them a couple times and worked well. The offense was mostly fine and exactly the same was the wrong phrase, but it didn't look varied enough on that end.

Disagree about the defense. They sent pressure near the endzone but largely sat back in zone and allowed Purdue QB to pick them apart via a wide open David Bell.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Sargent had 11 carries to IKM's 4. Sargent has been ahead of him effectively the last two years. IKM may have come in earlier but that was likely a package/play deal.
I'm not a Sargent fan and never have been. Give those carries mostly to someone else, hopefully someone that won't fucking fumble as much.

Reaction score
Goodson: 16 carries for 77 yards. Sargent: 11 carries for 71 yards.
Although I agree if Sargent doesn't fumble people are praising him in this game, I don't like this response big picture. Games come down to 1 or 2 plays and a guy that can turn a 15 yarder into a 50 yarder is alot of times the difference. I don't rewatch games like some to know for sure but on a couple of Sargent's runs the holes were massive and it seemed like there was more there. There are 8 other things you can point to in this game but I still don't know why we can't all agree that your best back should be seeing more of the ball in crunch time.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
I’m not crazy about our LT suddenly looking as lean as me, either.

Reaction score
I can’t believe they didn’t call a timeout before the snap on that last TD. Given the situation and the way Belton and Wade both seemed confused as to who was suppose to be lined up over Bell they shouldn’t have let that play get off. It was basically the defensive equivalent to the Stanley/Fant confusion at the end of the game at Penn State in 2018.
It was odd. They had twin WR's plus the TE and back to that side. Belton was originally lined up over Bell. When the RB motioned, Belton bumped down over the TE and Wade moved out over #2. Wade bumped him like a curl/flat defender in zone expecting help. Belton was keyed inside on the TE for some reason. With that alignment, help couldn't come from Hankins. If it was C2, I don't know why Belton was so far inside on the TE. The two key guys played it like C3. Regardless it was a fuck up that cost us.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
I respect the hell out of you @HiawathaHawk , but you can't come into this thread after this game and shrug off the defense today as new guys missing some keys and if they had made the right reads that everything would have been fine.

Phil (again) had a dogshit game plan against Purdue. He let David Bell run wild. Wide fucking open. All game long. Over and over. Wide open play after play. Stop him and this game is an Iowa win, even with the offensive fuck ups and penalties.

They should have had him double covered, bracketed, spied, whatever term you want to use. It was a total fuck up and cost Iowa a win.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Bell was targeted 21 times and they lost track of him with the game on the line. I’m not sure any of his catches occurred with a defender within 5 yards or him.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Anyways, going to pull my fucking hair out over the end of the half sequence. Gholston smashes their QB and Koerner drops a ridiculously easy interception that you just can't drop. Of course it leads to a TD minutes later.

Then you get the ball and drive right down and have a clock management error that the worst Madden player would never let happen.

Such a fucking swing. Conceivable it could have been 21-7 going into half and a completely different game.