**Official Iowa vs. Purdue Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

Reaction score
From an ESPN article

Counterpoint: Purdue's winning recipe isn't particularly sustainable.
My postgame win expectancy measure -- which takes all the key, predictive stats from a given game, tosses them into the air and says "With these stats, you could have expected to win this game X% of the time -- saw only a 19% chance of a Purdue win. Iowa outgained the Boilermakers by 6.1 yards per play to 5.0, and aside from a 33-yard run by Zander Horvath, Purdue created almost no big plays. Iowa was slicing its way down the field for the game-clinching points before Sargent's fumble.
That doesn't make me feel any better, Greg.

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Rewatched the run play at the end of the first half. As much as I still don't like the play call, it was there. If Cronk doesn't completely whiff on the SS, Goodson strolls into the EZ unmolested.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Rewatched the run play at the end of the first half. As much as I still don't like the play call, it was there. If Cronk doesn't completely whiff on the SS, Goodson strolls into the EZ unmolested.
Correct. Cronk had a really bad game. I think he'll really benefit from this week's film review, however.

Unfortunately, Kallenberger was even worse in his 1 or 2 series. Ince was excellent in just the couple plays I focused on him...

Reaction score
Everything has to be perfect or near perfect for the offense to bang out a twelve play drive to get into field goal range.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
They had 460 yards with pretty good run/pass balance, but continue to believe that they offense is inept
Their offensive points per drive statistics aren’t good, over several years.

thrawn

Reaction score
Their offensive points per drive statistics aren’t good, over several years.
The last three seasons they were #59, #39, and #79 in PPG but #114, #97, and 93 in YPG and #106, #86, and #84 in YPP.

Rankings don’t mean much this year and it’s a one-game sample but the yards/YPP from Saturday were in line with a top 25ish offense. The last three years they were 60ish in points and 90ish in yards/YPP. Defense/ST and maybe some luck propped them up.

Whatever went wrong Saturday is different than what has gone wrong in past years is what I’m saying.

Last edited:

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
While I understand the 13 bows, you can still all GFY with a 4 point loss prediction.
1603730765273.png
A lot of revisionist history after the game about how you all expected Iowa to probably lose because it's Purdue, and your OLine, and Petras is better than Stanley, ETC, ETC. I'll refrain from quoting your actual pre-game score predictions. We're all fans of our teams, and often blinded to their faults...no matter how much you want to think it's only ISU fans that suffer from that.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
While I understand the 13 bows, you can still all GFY with a 4 point loss prediction.
View attachment 23421
A lot of revisionist history after the game about how you all expected Iowa to probably lose because it's Purdue, and your OLine, and Petras is better than Stanley, ETC, ETC. I'll refrain from quoting your actual pre-game score predictions. We're all fans of our teams, and often blinded to their faults...no matter how much you want to think it's only ISU fans that suffer from that.
Yeah, but you guys are wrong a hell of a lot more.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
View attachment 23421
To be clear my bow was because I didn’t like it, not because it was unreasonable.

Reaction score
View attachment 23421
There were certainly some wrong predictions, but the “revisionist history” thing doesn’t really work unless it’s the same people predicting beat downs then saying “well I totally expected it.” There were also plenty of us here that were awfully cautious in any sort of optimism given Iowa’s struggle bs teams with Purdue’s style of offense