**Official Iowa vs. Purdue Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think the biggest disappointment from today, and it really should have been expected, is that Iowa was exactly what they always are when it comes to scheme on both sides and play calling.

For all the talk of Brian studying the last 10 months and wanting to change things up, it looked exactly the same as before. The plays were the same and formations were the same other than the obvious Wildcat stuff. The penalties and turnover fucked up the flow too often.

Defense looked EXACTLY the same despite the opponent making that scheme look silly over the past few years. Sit there in base, contain, send some late and weak pressure only in certain situations, bend and don't break until you finally do in the last 3 minutes and it costs you the game.

That seems to be part of the deal though with this staff and as an Iowa fan. Today it fucked them as it has many times before. 3 weeks from now it might get you a win at Minnesota and Penn State.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Sargent is a pretty damn solid back. Goodson is pretty damn good too. If you fumble, it doesn’t really fucking matter how good you are.
I disagree on Sargent. He is a passable back at best and a lesser version of someone like Wiseman. Sure, he might look pretty good against mostly lesser competition, but ultimately he is a guy taking carries from much better options.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I disagree on Sargent. He is a passable back at best and a lesser version of someone like Wiseman. Sure, he might look pretty good against mostly lesser competition, but ultimately he is a guy taking carries from much better options.
Dammit Doug. I’m liking too many of your posts today.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Dammit Doug. I’m liking too many of your posts today.
I would be fine with Sargent if he was iron clad and never fumbled, but as someone pointed out earlier he has like 4 or 5 huge fumbles in key games and situations.

This is just me, but I would be very selective with his carries and he would be the 3rd back at best.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Correct.
1. Goodson
2. IKM
3. Sargent

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I think the biggest disappointment from today, and it really should have been expected, is that Iowa was exactly what they always are when it comes to scheme on both sides and play calling.

For all the talk of Brian studying the last 10 months and wanting to change things up, it looked exactly the same as before. The plays were the same and formations were the same other than the obvious Wildcat stuff. The penalties and turnover fucked up the flow too often.

Defense looked EXACTLY the same despite the opponent making that scheme look silly over the past few years. Sit there in base, contain, send some late and weak pressure only in certain situations, bend and don't break until you finally do in the last 3 minutes and it costs you the game.

That seems to be part of the deal though with this staff and as an Iowa fan. Today it fucked them as it has many times before. 3 weeks from now it might get you a win at Minnesota and Penn State.
Iowa started the season as a legit West champion contender. But once again it’s clear UW will be playing OSU

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Ehhh he’s way better than Weisman. He has moves and can make people miss. He’s not great, but he does have several 10+ yard runs.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa started the season as a legit West champion contender. But once again it’s clear UW will be playing OSU
It isn't clear at all. Nothing is clear after 1 or not even 1 game.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
I think Iowa is going to make a lot of people here and on TOS look pretty stupid by the end of the season. They will be playing Wisconsin to go to the Big Ten Championship Game.
Great if true, the West doesn't look like a juggernaut so it's possible.

thrawn

Reaction score

Iowa isn’t going to look sIgnificantly different on offense as long as they are mostly recruiting big QBs

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't know why Goodson can't be the bellcow at rb.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here is what I would say you can absolutely say about the Big Ten West after week 1....

- Nebrantska isn't a contender and are a mess at QB
- Illinois is fucking terrible
- Purdue, Iowa and Northwestern are question marks
- Wisconsin QB had a great first game, but their OL and RB are nowhere near what they have been the last decade
- Minnesota's defense is struggling and if the first half continues, they are a question mark

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't know why Goodson can't be the bellcow at rb.
He ran like 3 plays in a row and was gassed and begging to come out. This was in the first half, maybe even the first quarter.

Magic Cyclops

Will Be Here Saturday Night
Reaction score

Iowa is what it is, developmental program that prides itself on discipline and fundamentals. This year will probably suck because they haven't been able work with the team the way they want. We have some talented players but so does everyone else in the Big Ten.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Play calling was abysmal. Should have ran the ball down their throat from the get go. Then with 12 seconds or whatever left in first half they run it instead of throwing into end zone.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Maybe I was living in an alternate universe, but were people thinking a loss to Purdue wasn't a distinct possibility? I know that I for sure was never comfortable with this game. I was hopeful as always, but there was a reason that it was a 3 point spread.
I will never accept a loss to fucking Purdue

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from the offense. Turnovers sucked but some of those penalties were absolute killers. Up 3 towards the end of the 3rd quarter with the ball at midfield and you pick up 5 yards on first down. Before you get the second down play off....false start. Kirk has said before that he can handle the 10 yard penalties, but the 5 and 15 yard ones are mental.

-Brents did not look good today.
-D line got decent pressure but nothing quick that really disrupted anything.
-Why in the ever living fuck does Iowa call blitzes from 10 yards off the LOS?
-This might be the first time where I had no idea what PP’s game plan was. There is no reason David Bell should have been as open as he was on some of those plays.
-The coverage on the last Purdue TD was...?

All that said, it’s 2020 and you have to score points. 20 points isn’t going to win you a lot of games. They gave up 24, that should have been good enough. Kicking field goals to go up 6 in the 4th quarter is not a bold strategy.

I also don’t understand why, but it’s going to become obvious to the coaches at some point which players should and should not be on the field. Every year they do this the first month. You just can’t have Beyer out there over Tracy and Nico.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Don't worry, boyz, will have a better idea in less than a week about the Big Ten West.

Hopefully next week we have a nice Iowa win over Northwestern to talk about and can also celebrate Nebrantska and Illinois finally pulling their head out of their ass and beating Wisconsin and Purdue.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from the offense. Turnovers sucked but some of those penalties were absolute killers. Up 3 towards the end of the 3rd quarter with the ball at midfield and you pick up 5 yards on first down. Before you get the second down play off....false start. Kirk has said before that he can handle the 10 yard penalties, but the 5 and 15 yard ones are mental.

-Brents did not look good today.
-D line got decent pressure but nothing quick that really disrupted anything.
-Why in the ever living fuck does Iowa call blitzes from 10 yards off the LOS?
-This might be the first time where I had no idea what PP’s game plan was. There is no reason David Bell should have been as open as he was on some of those plays.
-The coverage on the last Purdue TD was...?

All that said, it’s 2020 and you have to score points. 20 points isn’t going to win you a lot of games. They gave up 24, that should have been good enough. Kicking field goals to go up 6 in the 4th quarter is not a bold strategy.

I also don’t understand why, but it’s going to become obvious to the coaches at some point which players should and should not be on the field. Every year they do this the first month. You just can’t have Beyer out there over Tracy and Nico.
Beyer is a poor mans Zach Derby

douglasbader

Reaction score
Did any true freshman even play today? I think I saw Higgins in on special teams but can't think of anyone else.

Kirk and the coaches were definitely in their first few games of the year mode where they went with what they know instead of what they should.

The fear that young guys are going to make gigantic game killing mistakes just never seems like it materializes. If anything, it always seems like the older guys are the ones fucking up getting stupid penalties and fumbling.

Reaction score
I think the offense will come around pretty quickly. We ran for over 200 yards (yet have nothing to show for it) It's the defense that we should be more concerned about. It's going to be tough for Iowa to play their game when we're giving up 120+ yards rushing to guys like Horvath. They ran 26 plays on their last two scoring drives.

Magic Cyclops

Will Be Here Saturday Night
Reaction score
Or not able to properly prep this off-season.
Yeah that's what I mean, obviously everyone was not conditioning the way they normally would with the team. And Goodson had Covid, it's a lung disease, could possibly affect his stamina.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Play calling was abysmal. Should have ran the ball down their throat from the get go. Then with 12 seconds or whatever left in first half they run it instead of throwing into end zone.
come on man. Iowa clearly plans on throwing more this year, and everyone was excited about that given the skill position talent. You can’t come back after an L and now say they need to run more.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think the offense will come around pretty quickly. We ran for over 200 yards (yet have nothing to show for it) It's the defense that we should be more concerned about. It's going to be tough for Iowa to play their game when we're going up 120+ yards rushing to guys like Horvath. They ran 26 plays on their last two scoring drives.
Blame Phil for that, not the D-line.

Hard to get off the field when you are letting WR's run open and dropping into zone over and over.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
come on man. Iowa clearly plans on throwing more this year, and everyone was excited about that given the skill position talent. You can’t come back after an L and now say they need to run more.
Yeah let's come our and throw to Beyer right away. Get it into the gamebreakers hands.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
How bad is Maryland? Help me feel better about playing NW next week

douglasbader

Reaction score
While giving Petras a break in his first game and on the road in weird conditions, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't have a huge game against Northwestern next week.

Like it or not, he did have some Stanley like overthrows and rocket no touch throws and he has to get that fixed now.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
We can bitch all we want about the rules and where football is going but the reality is it’s never going to be what it was. Players just need to be smarter.

The call on Tracy is what it is. The allowing guys to block 5 yards down field on a crossing route is ridiculous. But again, if it’s not called then Iowa needs to start doing it as well. The game is called and set up for the RPO offenses and you’re limiting yourself by not doing it.