**Official Iowa vs. Purdue Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I don’t think Brian is a good OC. Not even average actually. Shawnee wants no part of that arrogant prick as HC.

I’m betting Barta, Kirk & Brian are all gone by the end of Petras’ time.

Bad offense is a CHOICE in today’s game. 20 points against Purdue. Lol

NW is gonna run Bowser down Iowa’s throat next week

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
I don’t think Brian is a good OC. Not even average actually. Shawnee wants no part of that arrogant prick as HC.

I’m betting Barta, Kirk & Brian are all gone by the end of Petras’ time.

Bad offense is a CHOICE in today’s game. 20 points against Purdue. Lol

NW is gonna run Bowser down Iowa’s throat next week
This is the bad take of bad takes.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
The evidence is pretty overwhelming at this point.
Brian calls one good game for every three poor to very average. Hopefully his last year

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I think part of the reason I’m not really upset about the game is I’m not really sure what exactly they’re playing for this year.

It seems to be pointing to playing these 8 games plus the championship week and that’s the season.

Reaction score
2 things can be true at once. This is the first game in a fucked-up year after a tumultuous off-season.

I've also seen this same game play out 100 times, where a win is there for the taking and KF/NP just stubbornly refuse, because they think adjustments and exploiting mismatches are "winning without honor" or something. I'm really tired of it.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I remember thinking how wrong the Solid Verbal guys were last week talking about how Iowa probably still couldn’t regularly score 30 in conference play. Joke’s on me, yet again.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Which matchup were they suppose to exploit? The only obvious advantage they had was in the run game and they seemed to do fine there.

LaPorta?

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I'm convinced the offense will be better, perhaps significantly so. We probably saw the real defense... susceptible to the run and no pass rush without blitzing.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I'm convinced the offense will be better, perhaps significantly so. We probably saw the real defense... susceptible to the run and no pass rush without blitzing.
They’re almost a carbon copy of the 2011 defense. Return a really good tackle (Nixon/Mike Daniels) a so-so end (Gholston/Bonn’s) then a bunch of big guys with limited experience. New linebackers. Experienced secondary but not a real headliner back there.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The penalties and turnovers were dumb but without any sort of tune up game, no spring ball, etc, I could kind of understand why those happened.

The most frustrating part to me is having no answer and no adjustment to Bell. It felt like the Rose Bowl when it seemed Iowa was unaware that McCaffrey was a guy that needed to be covered. Had Rondale Moore played, it would have been gross. That is on the coaches.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The WUW had a podcast over the summer with some guy from Nebrantska. Towards the end of the episode they talked about the racial stuff. Kluver said he had heard from his brother that discipline wise Iowa had backed off a ton, to the point that it was mildly concerning. The Nebrantska guy then said something along the lines of ‘That sounds exactly like what happened at Nebrantska after they hired Mike Reilly. The three areas it will show up will be line of scrimmage, penalties and ball security.’

Small sample size but....yikes.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
I would be curious to hear what discipline was changed in order to change the culture around the program. It seems like you can change the culture and still be a disciplined program.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The WUW had a podcast over the summer with some guy from Nebrantska. Towards the end of the episode they talked about the racial stuff. Kluver said he had heard from his brother that discipline wise Iowa had backed off a ton, to the point that it was mildly concerning. The Nebrantska guy then said something along the lines of ‘That sounds exactly like what happened at Nebrantska after they hired Mike Reilly. The three areas it will show up will be line of scrimmage, penalties and ball security.’

Small sample size but....yikes.
Bo Pelini coached teams that turned the ball over 7 times in a single game and gave up 500 yards rushing to Wisconsin twice. Bo Pelini personally hit a ref in the face with a hat. His teams were never particularly disciplined, and I think that dude from Nebrantska is full of shit.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Shitty losses to Purdue transcends strength coaches at Iowa

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That was an incredibly fucked up game and there’s a lot to think about. The defense struggling shouldn’t much of a surprise against the current Purdue staff. Neither were the missed tackles and blown coverages. We’ve seen that against MAC teams early season in the past and they still won. Unfortunately Purdue is not a MAC team.

But I legitimately thought they had the game in hand going into the second half. But once Sargent fumbled it was “we’ve seen this bullshit before, here comes the go ahead drive for Purdue.”

Only 20 points sucks but that was more execution than play calling IMO. They had almost 500 yards of offense and ran the ball really well. If those fumbles don’t happen worse case scenario we’re looking at a couple field goals and they probably win the game. 100 yards of penalties and 2 bad turnovers is probably going to cost a team like Iowa the game 90% of the time.

I don’t want to speculate on culture or discipline issues. If they lose badly to NW next week, then it’s probably time to be concerned.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score
I would be curious to hear what discipline was changed in order to change the culture around the program. It seems like you can change the culture and still be a disciplined program.
This is definitely true. It’s also true that no one on this board has any idea what it looked like before vs now.

All I posted is what was said on the podcast. It’s not my opinion.

Reaction score
It's just annoying to read that the schemes sucked and it's on coaches when we had more success consistently all day on both sides. It's infuriating when Phil Parker puts up results every fucking year and people act like he's a simpleton if we lose a game.

It was the first game of the year with a new QB and several new pieces on D being moved around. It sucks to lose and I've been pissed since it ended. I think Petras showed enough where I think he can be a really good QB. I don't think Brian sucks and I sure as hell will never think Phil fucking Parker is a problem. They just need to tighten shit up.
What happened to the Parker who game up with a specific plan to shut down MSUs Charles Rogers all those years ago? Why can't we have that again...I miss that.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
That the weight room music is only Dr Dre, Snoop, Petey Pablo, SPM, and Lil Wayne.
How old do you think these players are? Petey Pablo and South Park Mexican?!?!

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
I keep going back to what this game would have looked like with Moore/starting RB playing for Purdue. This could have been a woodshed type beat down for Iowa.

There needs to be some significant improvements before next weekend. Unfortunately, with the shortened season teams don't have the luxury to play scrubs and work out the kinks.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I keep going back to what this game would have looked like with Moore/starting RB playing for Purdue. This could have been a woodshed type beat down for Iowa.

There needs to be some significant improvements before next weekend. Unfortunately, with the shortened season teams don't have the luxury to play scrubs and work out the kinks.
i wonder if Iowa would have played with more urgency if those guys were playing.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The offense won’t be better than the defense. Kirk would never allow it

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
The thing I have been wondering about is whether the team chemistry is good, bad, or somewhere in between. You would think there is potential for problems between players and coaches as well. All teams have issues to some extent each season but the Iowa program has had quite the off season.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
What has the practice schedule been like compared to a normal year? How many practices have they had compared to normal?

CamelTones

Reaction score
I think I would have rather had their normal starting running back in the game than the tank they had.

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
The coaching staff is in a very difficult/impossible situation with discipline. One disgruntled player/transfer playing the race card on Twitter and it starts all over. And we already have eight examples of these "victims" going rogue, so let's not pretend it can't easily happen again.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I've clammed down. First 2 possessions were empty because SP was all jacked up. We missed a couple of big running plays (including the head-scratcher @ the end of the first half) because of simple blocking assignment/combo block busts. We should/could have had 3 picks on the 2nd Boiler TD possession (Brents on a 50/50 ball, Moss on the post that was overthrown, & Koerner on the trick play). We were heavily penalized & rightfully so...but some were just bad breaks (Heflin grazing the facemask on a sack, for example)...Officials also missed a Purdue false start on 4th & 1 (3 Hawkeyes simultaneously point at the flinch).

I think we're going to be fine. We'll play much cleaner this week. Wisconsin is going to lose some games. We just need to win this week. Honestly, I think Purdue could catch lighting in a bottle in the West...their crossovers are Rutgers & IU.

Go Hawks!

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I've clammed down. First 2 possessions were empty because SP was all jacked up. We missed a couple of big running plays (including the head-scratcher @ the end of the first half) because of simple blocking assignment/combo block busts. We should/could have had 3 picks on the 2nd Boiler TD possession (Brents on a 50/50 ball, Moss on the post that was overthrown, & Koerner on the trick play). We were heavily penalized & rightfully so...but some were just bad breaks (Heflin grazing the facemask on a sack, for example)...Officials also missed a Purdue false start on 4th & 1 (3 Hawkeyes simultaneously point at the flinch).

I think we're going to be fine. We'll play much cleaner this week. Wisconsin is going to lose some games. We just need to win this week. Honestly, I think Purdue could catch lighting in a bottle in the West...their crossovers are Rutgers & IU.

Go Hawks!
I am back! Bring it in!

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
From an ESPN article

Counterpoint: Purdue's winning recipe isn't particularly sustainable.
My postgame win expectancy measure -- which takes all the key, predictive stats from a given game, tosses them into the air and says "With these stats, you could have expected to win this game X% of the time -- saw only a 19% chance of a Purdue win. Iowa outgained the Boilermakers by 6.1 yards per play to 5.0, and aside from a 33-yard run by Zander Horvath, Purdue created almost no big plays. Iowa was slicing its way down the field for the game-clinching points before Sargent's fumble.