**Official Iowa vs. Wisconsin Football Thread - 11:00am - ESPN**

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Can’t remember when it was (important 3rd qtr drive maybe?), but Goodson finally got a 9 yard run after they lined up and did a weird pre snap shift. Next play, same shift, same fucking play and it got absolutely stuffed. When your offense routinely sucks, running the same play twice in a row isn’t ideal. Brian has no creativity and likely any very low IQ.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Goodson isn’t anything special (although I do really like his receiving abilities). IKM would actually be better than Goodson if he didn’t fumble every single time he touched the ball.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
At the very least this should demonstrate the staff is at least somewhat capable of making changes.
Uhhhh….isn’t it quite the opposite? Don’t we see this pretty consistently? Some white honky getting lots of playing time for the first 2-3 games until somehow the recruit/young player everyone knows is destined to play there finally proves….fucking something…in practice enough to get the job every fucking fan with a brain knows they should have?

This was Max Cooper a couple years ago wasn’t it? If I remember correctly it was a corner end zone fade to him at a pivotal moment in a loss that finally got him benched? I have a terrible memory, but that WAS Cooper wasn’t it?

Reaction score
PS I always enjoy the fact that Salaam was the HS football equivalent of Chris Webber in that they both played for Country Day Schools (Webber Detroit, Salaam San Diego). Salaam at la Jolla country day actually played 8 man football basically against other small private schools. I had a buddy in LS who was a walk on on at USC and I think played HS football at some private school in the Bumfuck Imperial Valley. Anyway they played La Jolla Country Day every year and he was the same year as Salaam and he describes it as Salaam running for like 700 yards and basically unable to be tackled even if all 8 guys on defense were in on it. Basically the Nate Meier HS film highlights except if the RB were an actually Heisman trophy level RB.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
In addition to ball control and being a nice change of pace RB to Goodson (ie someone who can simply pound the ball up the middle). We miss that. The fact that Sargent was on an NFL roster this value speaks volumes to his value and importance.
Dude wasn't big at all but ran hard as fuck and maximized his talent.

Kirk and Brian probably threw down when it came to deciding which one of Goodson or Sergeant to start.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
You can see at the glaring holes in our OL recruiting. Our 2018-2019 OL classes did Jack shit.

Only Ince and Britt are left on the team or the two deeps from the 2017-19 recruiting classes.
Recruiting overall has been terrible. QB, TE (at least relative to expectations) WR (maybe the two freshmen will end up doing well). Mediocre on DL as well. It’s crazy how small iowa is on the interior there.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Recruiting overall has been terrible. QB, TE (at least relative to expectations) WR (maybe the two freshmen will end up doing well). Mediocre on DL as well. It’s crazy how small iowa is on the interior there.
Come on, this is way over the top. Recruiting overall hasn't been terrible. Not even close. At worst it is right in line with what Iowa always recruits.

I get people are pissed about the OL, but it is a youth problem and Kallenberger quitting issue. WR talent is fine and better than what we usually have overall and the freshman are really good. The TE spot is good. DL is also another spot where they are just really young and had an unexpected early entry to the NFL.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’ll give them a break on the DL, they’re young up front and have had a lot of turnover with guys leaving early yet are still performing at a pretty high level. They need to start generating a pass rush again though. I am a little shocked that they moved Griffin Liddle to the offensive line however.

Their offensive recruiting has been a head scratcher to me. Why only 1 receiver recruit in this class? Hutson isn’t playing so they’re basically down to Vines and Brecht to pair with the 2 freshman in a couple years. It always feels like they land some solid O line prospects then you look at the starters and it’s 2 walkons and a guy the moved over from d tackle (that will likely win the Rimington).

Reaction score
Watching this Penn States offensive game plan against Ohio State and I’m really passed at what Iowa tried to accomplish today. They are spreading Ohio State out and getting the ball out quick.

With this line it makes no sense to invite so many players into the box.
Also frustrating, to watch that game and listen to them say multiple times how Ohio St changed their defensive coaches, scheme, and players to address early and obvious issues on that side of the ball. MIDSEASON. Now in no way am I expecting those kind of drastics from Iowa…but can't there be something in between that and Iowa's do nothing strategy? Try SOMETHING!

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
I understand Jim’s point, but Rudock at least landed on an NFL roster for a few seasons. Petras is going to make an amazing branch manager for Enterprise Rental Car in San Jose, CA when he graduates.
How much does that pay?

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
I want to lump KOK into the turd pile. He has a hand in this. Always. Next weekend when iowa has two WRs running parallel crossing routes 3 yards apart from each other and Petras throws the ball away on 4th down, I’ll achieve nirvana.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Kirk thinks Johnny Unitas is the best quarterback in the history of the NFL

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Is there still anyone here who is going to love and defend Petras to the bitter end? We always have a few.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
HaLo will Halo and will make it seem like I love Petras. I don’t. He’s 3rd on the list when it comes to the offense. OL and BF are 1a and 1B.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
When did the blocking rules changed that made Iowa's run game completely inept?

Was it '18 or '19?

It would probably be a good idea if we gave some consideration to changing everything we do in terms of trying to run block.
It’s been longer than that.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Is there still anyone here who is going to love and defend Petras to the bitter end? We always have a few.
Those who cover the team will be the last riders on the Petras bus.

"What can you expect him to do when the OL gives him 2 seconds or less?"

We agree that the OL sucks, Iowa beat writers. What we also see is that the OL isn't the reason why Spencer 1) elects to throw the ball away on 4th down, 2) shits his pants regardless of whether he is actually getting pressure, and 3) cannot find a second option to save his soul. Further, he has a lack of mobility that makes him the worst possible type of QB to pair with a bad OL.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
So, we can't cut or put people on the ground anymore from the side and our entire run game philosophy is now worthless? Ok, we're going to keep doing it, less the cutting and putting people on the ground. It won't work at all, but that's how we do things.

"You tell 'em, Daddy."

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
When did the blocking rules changed that made Iowa's run game completely inept?

Was it '18 or '19?

It would probably be a good idea if we gave some consideration to changing everything we do in terms of trying to run block.
In 2019, when Iowa had Alaric Jackson, Linderbaum, Wirfs, Sargent and Goodson, the team averaged less than 4 ypc, and no running back was over 5.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
So, we can't cut or put people on the ground anymore from the side and our entire run game philosophy is now worthless? Ok, we're going to keep doing it, less the cutting and putting people on the ground. It won't work at all, but that's how we do things.

"You tell 'em, Daddy."

This is dead on.