**Official Kent State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Dochterman wrote an entire article on the Athletic praising that 9 minute drive. Big fucking deal. Wonderful it takes 9 minutes for a top 5 team to score against a MAC opponent.

L. Wade Childress

The Spencer Petras of HALO
Reaction score
Dochterman wrote an entire article on the Athletic praising that 9 minute drive. Big fucking deal. Wonderful it takes 9 minutes for a top 5 team to score against a MAC opponent.
well actually the ability to execute nine minute drives directly refutes Mikey‘s biggest problem with our coaching philosophy.

Reaction score
If Iowa ends up going 9-3 cuz they put up 180 yards of total offense against PSU/Wiscy, we'll look back on the fact that the offense needed 20 plays to go 95 yards against Kent State's defense as being a harbinger of what was to come. Writing an article praising that drive is dumber than fuck. It's an indictment on your offense that you need 20 plays to score on Kent State, not something to celebrate. Needing 20 plays to score on Penn State or Wisconsin, sure, not fucking Kent State.

I really hope Poopy Pants gets better, but if we don't see some explosive passing plays this week, I'm not expecting improvement - this is your last tune up and the coaching staff needs to work in some downfield passing. If they don't, that means they don't think they can.

SuperHans

Reaction score
During crazy air raid gunslinger Nate Stanley's 3 years as a starter, he threw for 6.9, 7.2, and 7.4 yards per attempt. Please continuing ignoring critiques of Spencer Petras's play by talking about Iowa's philosophy.
Fair. Petras sucks. But being loyal to a fault to an incumbent QB is kinda part of Iowa’s/Ferentz’s philosophy. Tolerating a QB who contributes very little but limits turnovers is pretty typical Kirk.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Fair. Petras sucks. But being loyal to a fault to an incumbent QB is kinda part of Iowa’s/Ferentz’s philosophy. Tolerating a QB who contributes very little but limits turnovers is pretty typical Kirk.
I'm responding to Wade.

I've always had the issue you note with Ferentz's philosophy on risk taking, although he's gotten less conservative in recent years. They base their defensive philosophy on giving up small yards to avoid the risk of big scoring plays with the idea that offenses can't execute long sustained drives of 10+ plays, then attempt to do exactly that when they're on offense.

The point here though is even given Iowa's generally conservative offense, Petras isn't playing well. This isn't the GDGD years with tons of long horizontal routes. There are guys downfield. Petras just isn't good at staying comfortable in the pocket long enough to throw those passes.

SuperHans

Reaction score
I'm responding to Wade.

I've always had the issue you note with Ferentz's philosophy on risk taking, although he's gotten less conservative in recent years. They base their defensive philosophy on giving up small yards to avoid the risk of big scoring plays with the idea that offenses can't execute long sustained drives of 10+ plays, then attempt to do exactly that when they're on offense.

The point here though is even given Iowa's generally conservative offense, Petras isn't playing well. This isn't the GDGD years with tons of long horizontal routes. There are guys downfield. Petras just isn't good at staying comfortable in the pocket long enough to throw those passes.
Rudock and Petras create similar outcomes. I think Rudock was mostly due to his baby arm while Petras has a baby dick.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
It's not loyalty. It's lack of any other options. That's a problem by itself, though.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Adrian Martinez has a career average of 7.6 YPA. Is that good or bad? Is he good or bad?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
In his career has Spencer Petras had the statistical luxury that I'd estimate 80% of his peers have had of their team trailing by multiple scores and throwing against a softened defense?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
And just to clarify -because I asked this the other night and got nothing in response, is it the official haloman position that it doesn't matter that maybe 70% of the plays Spencer has been behind center he's had at least a two score lead?

Why doesn't he thrown downfield!?!?!?!?

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Are we going to pretend for the sake of this particular argument that Petras is dropping back and crisply and confidently delivering 5 yard passes like none of us have watched the games?

neshawk

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Does anybody think that Iowa is breaking in 2 new WRs and 2 new tackles may have something to do with the offensive struggles?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Are we going to pretend for the sake of this particular argument that Petras is dropping back and crisply and confidently delivering 5 yard passes like none of us have watched the games?
Turnovers and game control are how you evaluate a QB. Surprised you didn’t know that.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Does anybody think that Iowa is breaking in 2 new WRs and 2 new tackles may have something to do with the offensive struggles?
I mean, not really. This is more or less what Iowa's offense looked like outside of two games last year.

And it's college football. Everybody turns over a bunch of their roster all the time.

Reaction score
It's not loyalty. It's lack of any other options. That's a problem by itself, though.
My frustration is that by all accounts, Spencer is lights Fucking out in practice. But that’s the problem. He fucking SUCKS when the lights go on.

I think it’s possible that another guy on the team could be LESS impressive during practice and still be better on Saturdays

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
outside of two games last year
Btw, I continue to think that Petras has talent. He played well in a few games last year, and he has drives where he looks good. Again, it's not a Jake Christensen thing. I just don't know how much you can continue to hope that after 10+ games as a starter a light is going to turn on and he's going to consistently get comfortable about there.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I was so ready for Brandon Dassey’s cousin to graduate.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
I think it’s possible that another guy on the team could be LESS impressive during practice and still be better on Saturdays
Padilla was a pretty uninspiring recruit, but Hogan had decent offers (if they were real). Maybe he's just a recruiting miss.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I do think there is something to the coaching staff explicitly telling him to basically not take any chances that aren’t wide open. This is not saying he doesn’t suck though.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
What argument specifically? Go rewatch the game from Saturday and share specific examples of when he did compared to when he didn't deliver 5 yard passes.

I thought of halo chat last night when rewatching the game. I think it was in the 2nd quarter and on 1st down Spencer throws a dart (which is the best metaphor because he has a cannon and quick release) over the head of Bruce. My immediate reaction was "what a horrible pass", only to rewind and see that Bruce completely slips out of his break and doesn't get to where he's supposed to be. The pass would have hit him square if he runs a clean route. I can only imagine the reaction from the dorks who participate in chat for grown-ups.

I could only come up with one truly bad throw: the one in the turf to Jones. Had the misfortune of a couple drops, like the beautiful back shoulder down throw down the field to Tracy.

Go rewatch the game and give me some specific indicating how much he sucks.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Padilla was a pretty uninspiring recruit, but Hogan had decent offers (if they were real). Maybe he's just a recruiting miss.
Hogan is still new to the program and his first season was the Covid mess. Not that you are dismissing him, but I do think it’s a bit early to rule him out completely.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Did Padilla get really have a commitable offer from Georgia. I just looked at his offer list and that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
He missed Jones breaking open on 3rd down at the start of the second quarter. He read that half of the field first and the safety was down.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Our eyes are lying to us. The stats don’t tell the whole truth. Ol’ Game Film Fritz will explain it to you like the rank amateur that you are.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
He missed Jones breaking open on 3rd down at the start of the second quarter. He read that half of the field first and the safety was down.
ahh, man, and I bet it was so obvious from where you were sitting!

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
The Kent State game was a half yard away from heading solidly into a classic Ferentz Special territory. The score would have been 16-14 and about to go into the 4th quarter with a scrappy team that already showed it could hit multiple plays down field as well as run uptempo and move the ball.

How did we nearly get there? The same way all other Ferentz Specials (Western Michigan, Central Michigan, North Dakota State, multiple Iowa State games, etc....) end up happening.

A physically superior Iowa team tries to dink and dunk, jacks around in their play calling, has a few unlucky turnovers or bad officiating calls that go against them and suddenly they are in a dogfight with an inferior team.

The 20 play, 9 minute drive is a perfect example. That isn't a drive to be celebrated, that drive was mostly an embarrassment. Multiple of us said during that drive that it was actually a really shitty sign. The way to beat these teams is to fucking score early, quickly and often. Playing this tight ass conservative throw it within 5 yards of the LOS and ram your RB into a 9 man box is how you lose games to teams like this.

Thankfully the defense and luck stopped that from happening Saturday, but it was absolutely on the brink of happening.