**Official Kent State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Our eyes are lying to us. The stats don’t tell the whole truth. Ol’ Game Film Fritz will explain it to you like the rank amateur that you are.
Which is it, the eye test or the data? Because I've asked about some questions about data and haven't heard anything.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Btw, I continue to think that Petras has talent. He played well in a few games last year, and he has drives where he looks good. Again, it's not a Jake Christensen thing. I just don't know how much you can continue to hope that after 10+ games as a starter a light is going to turn on and he's going to consistently get comfortable about there.
It’s absolutely a Jake C thing until I decide otherwise. Sorry, Michael.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
ahh, man, and I bet it was so obvious from where you were sitting!
I will admit I don’t know the playbook, or what the progressions are, but your ham-handed way of writing off legitimate complaints is pretty dumb.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Padilla should be rotating with Petras against Colorado State. It won’t happen, but it absolutely should.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Which is it, the eye test or the data? Because I've asked about some questions about data and haven't heard anything.
Bullshit. You have been flooded with every QB statistic available. We actually asked YOU to show any statistical evidence that Petras isn't mediocre at best and bad at worst and you have continued to go with "eye test" and "2 score leads" and other silliness.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
During crazy air raid gunslinger Nate Stanley's 3 years as a starter, he threw for 6.9, 7.2, and 7.4 yards per attempt. Please continuing ignoring critiques of Spencer Petras's play by talking about Iowa's philosophy.
Because we all know that coaches will continue to run the exact same thing regardless of their level of comfort with a quarterback, am I right or what?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
LOL......because the unique score flow of the games he's played in is somehow a stupid question!
Both the ISU and KSU games were within 9 points (when Iowa had the ball) until the end of the 3rd quarter. This is not the caveat you are looking for.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Parker forces teams to put together long, perfectly executed drives to score. And yet on offense Ferentz does the same dmn thing.
Right- and the ability to put together nine minute drives while knowing your opponents cannot do the same thing is a schematic advantage.

I am not saying that the situation exists right now. I am just saying the ability to sustain long drives seriously helps our general approach of shortening the game and designing the offense to help the defense.

as frustrating as it is,the coaches have literally said this is their approach.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Right- and the ability to put together nine minute drives while knowing your opponents cannot do the same thing is a schematic advantage.

I am not saying that the situation exists right now. I am just saying the ability to sustain long drives seriously helps our general approach of shortening the game and designing the offense to help the defense.

Yeah until the drive stalls out 7 minutes in or you turn it over, which will happen against better teams.

Then you just wasted a bunch of time and limited your number of possessions. You end up in need of a quick score and are unable to deliver because your offense is virtually a Wing T.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Bullshit. You have been flooded with every QB statistic available. We actually asked YOU to show any statistical evidence that Petras isn't mediocre at best and bad at worst and you have continued to go with "eye test" and "2 score leads" and other silliness.
Head to head comparison of quarterback stats without competing what they are being asked to do is pretty pointless.
Yeah until the drive stalls out 7 minutes in or you turn it over, which will happen against better teams.

Then you just wasted a bunch of time and limited your number of possessions. You end up in need of a quick score and are unable to deliver because your offense is virtually a Wing T.
because there is no corresponding downside to throwing the ball downfield a lot when you play our defensive style, right?

douglasbader

Reaction score

This is exactly why they are fucking morons though when it comes to games like Kent State if that is their approach. Shortening the game is fine against strong non-conference or many conference opponents, but against inferior ones and non-conference MAC level teams it is an insanely stupid strategy.

Why would you want to limit your possessions in games like these? You should be bombing it all over trying for quick scores when you have the superior talent.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

When your offense is 112th in the country in 3rd down conversion %….this would seem like a dumb strategy @L. Wade Childress

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
This is exactly why they are fucking morons though when it comes to games like Kent State if that is their approach. Shortening the game is fine against strong non-conference or many conference opponents, but against inferior ones and non-conference MAC level teams it is an insanely stupid strategy.

Why would you want to limit your possessions in games like these? You should be bombing it all over trying for quick scores when you have the superior talent.
Uh, because you know your quarterback kinda sucks?

douglasbader

Reaction score
D - "Hey Kirk, what is the best way to beat a team with more talent?"

K - "Well, you want to shorten the game by controlling the ball and limiting the number of possessions so you can give your team a much better chance to keep the game close and win at the end."

D - "Oh, great, so by that logic when you have the superior team you actually want to maximize the number of possessions so you can have more chances to score early and often and beat the inferior team and not give them a chance to keep it close and win at the end, right?"

K - "Uh.... shit. Yeah. That actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe we don't want 20 play 9 minute drives and instead want to look to score early and often so the game is like 28-7 at half and let's our defense tee off on them because they will be passing the rest of the game."

D - "Yeah, that's right. So why the FUCK do you voluntarily play the way that you just told me is the easiest way for a team like Kent State to beat you? Isn't that pretty fucking stupid?"

K - "Hawk! Hawk! Hawk!"

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You really should have waited for my answer to your question before wasting that much time typing something that stupid

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I mean if there’s one thing the entire country can agree on it’s at the iowa coaches are fucking morons, right? That’s pretty much been the narrative around our program for 20+ years. Run by fucking morons.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Again, this is 2021. There is very very little risk to throwing deep down the field, especially if you have a QB with a good arm. You're an absolute moron if you don't do it at least 10 times per game.

This isn't even debatable at this point. On the off chance you do actually throw an interception, it ends up being like a 50+ yard punt. The more likely outcomes are an incompletion, long completion or a pass interference. It also has the benefit of forcing the other team to actually cover your receivers honestly and not have the LB's creeping up and the Safety crashing down unblocked every play. You score more, you open up the running game and you will win more games.

Better not do it!! Too risky!!

douglasbader

Reaction score
I mean if there’s one thing the entire country can agree on it’s at the iowa coaches are fucking morons, right? That’s pretty much been the narrative around our program for 20+ years. Run by fucking morons.
Even a really really good coaching staff that is great at developing talent isn't immune from being absolute idiots on some aspects of the game.

I know when Ferentz is talked about, everyone marvels at his wonderful end of half and game clock management.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
L.Wade is now to the point where he's so lost the plot he's arguing in circles.

Many on here understand Iowa's offense sucks because of poor quarterback play.

His counter is that Petras is doing what he is told to do because it fits Iowa's philosophy.

Later he defends the coaches by saying they need to play that way because the quarterback sucks.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I will defend Spencer here. Indiana and ISU are good defensive teams and the OL is young. The WR are mediocre by douche standards. He isn’t the 100th best Qb in the country. He has limited turnovers and Iowa can still win the west with marginal offensive improvement.

douglasbader

Reaction score

His counter is that Petras is doing what he is told to do because it fits Iowa's philosophy.

Later he defends the coaches by saying they need to play that way because the quarterback sucks.
I was just about to post that. His stupid ass went from "Petras doesn't suck and this is what the Iowa system is and you can't compare stats of other QB's to him!!" to like 2 posts later going "They are playing this way because he sucks!!".

Such a moron.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Petras does have a cannon for an arm. Use it.

Hell, the Kent State QB has a good arm and they actually dared to throw it deep on maybe the best defense in the country and holy shit great things actually happened for them. They burned the shit out of a CB that even national talking heads have been raving about.

If he was Purdy with a noodle arm, then I would be more hesitant, but the risk to reward is off the charts that it is shameful that Iowa isn't doing this 10 times per game.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I will defend Spencer here. Indiana and ISU are good defensive teams and the OL is young. The WR are mediocre by douche standards. He isn’t the 100th best Qb in the country. He has limited turnovers and Iowa can still win the west with marginal offensive improvement.
Yup.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think the Iowa system allows the QB to have a ton of control and that has hurt with more timid QBs. It seems like the progressions start with the check down first and not last. They should absolutely run more screens IMO.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

no petras is doing what he’s being told to do because he can’t be trusted otherwise

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I was just about to post that. His stupid ass went from "Petras doesn't suck and this is what the Iowa system is and you can't compare stats of other QB's to him!!" to like 2 posts later going "They are playing this way because he sucks!!".

Such a moron.
he doesn’t suck. He kinda sucks.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We should have known early on that the booth official was a fucking douchebag. I forgot all about him taking extra time to review the TD catch by LaPorta that was blatantly obvious.

Fuck that guy, he sucked.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Yes, he sucks. I’d love a supercut of every Petras pass attempt with a little timer in the corner. His ability to drop back, stand in a clean pocket, and give players a chance to get open seems to happen few and far between. God forbid he’s not seeing ghosts and there’s actually pressure.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
We should have known early on that the booth official was a fucking douchebag. I forgot all about him taking extra time to review the TD catch by LaPorta that was blatantly obvious.

Fuck that guy, he sucked.
Forgot about that one. Had no idea what the hell he was looking at.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think this is sort of backwards. I think he really sucks. Iowa coaches have somehow figured out how to get him in positions he only kinda sucks in. It’s still sucking though.
thats also possible. But if that’s the case there’s a lot of real bad qb’s out there.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
This is a really dumb argument.you could hide me at safety and we could win some games. It doesn't make me a good safety. I fucking suck at safety.
It has nothing to do with winning, you moron, but everything to do with the type of offense KF is going run when up at least two scores.

Which has been the case for an inordinate number of Petras' snaps.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Petras is a good example of why I don't think the red jersey in practice is always the right thing to do. I know that every QB since the 2000's hasn't been allowed to be touched in practice, but it might have done a guy like Petras some good to let the defense light his ass up.

How the fuck do you know you have a good QB under pressure unless you let them get knocked around. QB is easy if there is no threat you are going to have someone bury your ass a few times every week during live scrimmage drills.