**Official Kent State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Playing QB in the mid-90's in middle school and high school sucked. We had a really good and super athletic multi-sport star as our QB and I was the backup.

That meant I got to run plays with the backup linemen against the first team defense. There were many times where I would go to hand the ball off and would nearly get tackled before I handed it off. Many times where I dropped back to pass and got leveled and drilled into the ground by multiple guys blasting through the line full speed.

The really special times were playing QB in the B games. Holy shit I was just fucking rocked over and over in those games.

Fun times.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Or, you could not risk your Qb's health in practice and instead just watch game after game to see how he handles it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Drilled by multiple guys

NTTAWWT
I remember a few times when Ramsden, Bosten and I think Zigenhorn just smoked me at the same damn time and went out of their way to drill the shit out of me. I remember laying there thinking "why the fuck am I doing this?".

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with winning, you moron, but everything to do with the type of offense KF is going run when up at least two scores.

Which has been the case for an inordinate number of Petras' snaps.
I’d love the breakdown on this information. Quarterback rating, or efficiency, or whatever metric(s) you’d like to use when up 2+ scores, vs when the game is closer. I’m going to guess there’s no statistically significant difference, but it’s your claim, so prove it.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I wouldn’t have guessed that @douglasbader played football to be honest. Getting your shit pushed in is a right of passage that I fear many of haloman never took.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Or, you could not risk your Qb's health in practice and instead just watch game after game to see how he handles it.
Well yeah during the season. But in the off-season if his weakness is comfort making reads in the pocket with the bullets flying- doing individual footwork drills with no contact is not going to strengthen those weaknesses. We are not talking about going high/lo on the fucking guy and taking his head off. I would hope there would be more simulated drills working on those weaknesses. I'm guessing they are to some degree

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
I wouldn’t have guessed that @douglasbader played football to be honest. Getting your shit pushed in is a right of passage that I fear many of haloman never took.
You will find no football bragging from me. I despised it so much. 7th and 8th grade were just various levels of pain every practice and game.

Backup QB in practice for 7th and 8th grade. Started a bunch though because the starter was always getting hurt. When I wasn't playing QB, I was playing TE. No such thing as a red jersey. Full on contact to the ground almost every practice.

They asked me to play QB my Freshman and Sophomore year in high school, but the experience was so shitty in middle school that I refused and instead played offensive line, some defensive line and punted as a freshman. This was despite being 6'3'' and about 150 pounds. It was great, I never played in A games and didn't get beat up in practice. I got to rush the QB sometimes. Got to punt in every B game.

I think the most fun I had was a Freshman B game when I started the game but was rotated out for a special teams play and right near the end of the game in the 4th quarter my line coach was just screaming at "me" for missing a block. I politely tapped him on the shoulder and said that I was standing right next to him and wasn't in the game and it was another kid.

He looked at me and asked why the hell I wasn't in and I was supposed to be playing the whole game. I reminded him he took me out in the 1st quarter and he said "well shit, get back in there, I forgot I did that".

Yes, @The Dad , I know nobody gives a fuck.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
VR training will do a player like Petras a lot of good.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I got a couple of years meat squad QB as a freshman and sophomore. I got pwned a lot, especially when our opponent ran veer or option. We had an all state DE and our coach was a big fan of him crashing hard and forcing the immediate pitch. Fake, pitch, brace, get lit up, think “I think he’s got it, coach” many, many times in a row.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I’d love the breakdown on this information. Quarterback rating, or efficiency, or whatever metric(s) you’d like to use when up 2+ scores, vs when the game is closer. I’m going to guess there’s no statistically significant difference, but it’s your claim, so prove it.
Are you suggesting there's no change in play-calling for a KF led team when up 2+ scores? Or that BF isn't in Petras' ear to play to play it safe? Do you even watch the games? There's usually a ridiculous number of one-receiver routes ran.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
Are you suggesting there's no change in play-calling for a KF led team when up 2+ scores? Or that BF isn't in Petras' ear to play to play it safe? Do you even watch the games? There's usually a ridiculous number of one-receiver routes ran.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
I remember a few times when Ramsden, Bosten and I think Zigenhorn just smoked me at the same damn time and went out of their way to drill the shit out of me. I remember laying there thinking "why the fuck am I doing this?".
Did the cameraman get your good side?

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
LOL, ya think?!?!
fritz, because I cheer for the hawks I truly hope you can continue to pwn fools in this thread, but Spencer is solidly mediocre at best and you seem to refuse to acknowledge this. Since I project the hawks to go 15-0 I think you will remain undefeated all season. Let’s hope you do.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
fritz, because I cheer for the hawks I truly hope you can continue to pwn fools in this thread, but Spencer is solidly mediocre at best and you seem to refuse to acknowledge this. Since I project the hawks to go 15-0 I think you will remain undefeated all season. Let’s hope you do.
wait- does ANYONE think petras is better than mediocre?

Reaction score
Rewatch thoughts:

Playing multiple true freshmen early on offense is definitely New Kirk. It's still shocking to see things like this after following his career at Iowa.

Smart of Kent State to blitz on the side of the ball where Colby was. They did it a couple times in a row.

If he stay healthy, Colby will be an All-American at Iowa.

Based on Bob Sanders, Ed Hinkel and Terry Roberts, the staff needs to recruit more players from Erie, PA. I know Greg Garmon was from Erie, but that's still a great success percentage.

It's fun to watch Parker just fuck with opposing offenses. There was a play on the series when the safety happened when they had Benson lined up as a cornerback on the outside receiver.

That's a really talented MAC team. Reminds me of the 2003 Miami (OH) Iowa faced.

People bitch when the Iowa staff raids MAC teams for recruits, but those defensive backs and receivers for the Golden Flashes were Big Ten level players.

It's nice to not be as terrified of "tempo" teams anymore.

It's also nice to not have to worried about the defensive line being exhausted in the 4th quarter.

Desmond Hutson seems like one of those kids where they offered him a scholarship mostly because they liked his attitude so much. Seems like a Devonte Young type.

I still think Tyrone Tracy is going to have a game or two this year where he is just a huge problem for opposing defenses.

Arland Bruce looks like a guy whose quickness could be of great value on third and short-to-medium if he's used properly

Kudos to Joe Evans. I thought he would be serviceable, but he's been more than that so far. As a junior, he's having the kind of year Nate Meier had as a senior.

I'd rather have Moss learn his lesson about peaking in the backfield against Kent State than Penn State. Hopefully he gets the message.

Koerner made a subtle but great play on the goal line stand when Moss recovered the fumble in the end zone. Koerner has quietly been outstanding for a while now.

Really nice to see the line and Goodson start to master that zone blocking cut-back play. Brought back memories of Fred Russell running behind the 2002 line.

Pettiness moment: The California town Petras comes from is pronounced "san ruh'-fell." Announcers need to stop saying "san rahf-ay-ell"

Is Sean Lewis the inspiration for Ted Lasso's Coach Beard?

fwiw
peace

Last edited:

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
But he’s had a two score lead on 70%(not even close)of his snaps. That’s what causes him to look like shit. He’s much better when the pressure is squarely on him like the 2020 NW game.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Halo not full of former players, huh? You mean to tell me a group of guys who do chat for grown-ups during football games isn't made up of a bunch of studs?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
you’re just embarrassing yourself at this point.
There is no embarrassment. You have to understand, halo is to me as cyclonefanatic is to you guys. It's the stunning lack of collective self-awareness for sure.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
There is no embarrassment. You have to understand, halo is to me as cyclonefanatic is to you guys. It's the stunning lack of collective self-awareness for sure.
that is the problem, brother. If you don’t want to look to halo for your Hawkeye football analysis that’s fine. However, it’s much better than any other website I’ve found. It’s ok to disagree there, but the idea that halo is cyclone fanaticesque is ridiculous.

douglasbader

Reaction score
@Fritz Fequiere Are you ever going to make an actual point or just keep pulling insults out of your sick burn bag for responses?
He's not, because he knows he doesn't have one. We've asked him to post any evidence or stats or anything with substance to support the position that Petras isn't mediocre at best or bad at worst, and all he does is some silly "Oh yeah??" bit.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
He effectively ended the game with that play, ya dipshit. He forced a turnover with :18 left and NC State having a chance to tie. Drawing a charge is an art and should be celebrated, lest every vestige of defense goes by the wayside.

The anti-charge crowd in b-ball is kinda like the "don't run to the short side of the field!" crowd in football. Just dumb.
Fritz thought it couldn't get any better than when a ref crow hops into a charge call but then he found Spencer Petras.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Major props to doug for working in a superfluous reference to his junior high football glory days.

that’s really interesting.
I was going to post about my frosted tips, but then I remembered I never had frosted tips because I don't suck cock.