**Official Kentucky vs. Iowa Citrus Bowl Thread - 12:00pm - ABC**

Reaction score
I touched on this yesterday, but right now the coaching staff put themselves in quite a conundrum going into the spring when Kirk made that joke publicly and caused Deuce Hogan to run back home.

It pretty much forces them to beg either Petras or Padilla to stick around unless they are going to get a transfer from the portal. The problem is that portal transfers that are worth a shit want a virtual guarantee they are going to start. Kirk (like Fran) isn't the type of guy to make that sort of guarantee.

Now if Petras/Padilla both enter the transfer portal, that means you have only 1 scholarship QB for spring football and going into the season you have a Labas (who has never taken a snap) and true freshman Carson May who won't even be here until the summer.
I kind of look at this as a “is that really a bad thing” type deal. One thing that really stuck with me was when Padilla said, during an interview, that the offense is complex and takes a year and a half to learn / grasp. If Petras and Padilla both left, it might….might force the coaches, namely the two Ferentz’s, to adapt the playbook and simplify it. It seems the coaches want the QB to be more robotic rather than just play. There is no improvisation if shit breaks down - it’s either a sack, a throwaway, or a dumb fucking pass like yesterday. It doesn’t help matters when your QB is a statue in the pocket.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud. The 10 win season is great, but I can’t help but feel this was a huge wasted opportunity due to the incompetence of BF and the offensive scheme and overall subpar play under center.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I really don’t mind robotic quarterback play, I just want it to be a good robot. It’d be awesome to have a Banks, Tate, or CJ type every year, but I think I just listed the three iowa has had like that in the last 40 years. Iowa has one of the larger recruiting challenges in the nation, and as long as parents want to see their kids play in person that’s not changing. In the big ten west we see A LOT of shitty quarterback play, and while I would switch with a lot of those guys I don’t think it’s easy to find the cure for what’s ailing. Here’s hoping Labas is it.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Ok so the thing the staff likes about Labas is he picked up the playbook very fast. I have no idea if he’s actually good, but they say he is. It’s not exactly a high bar to clear at Iowa.

Reaction score
Bobby wasn't supposed to be the starter in 1977, but when McLaughlin got hurt he ended up starting the Northwestern, Iowa State, Arizona, and UCLA games going 21 of 43 for 199 yds. and 2 TDs (both against Northwestern).
That's the second time in a week that I've read that T Mac was hurt. He may well have been, but for 44 years I've been of the belief that Tommy was simply pulled for an ineffective first half against NW.

I had conned Como into letting me watch fall camp practices (was denied admission after game one) and Jr was really solid, virtually mistake free. He had looked better than Mac, so I just assumed that Mac got pulled at half and that Jr looking good that day and QB 'ing the ISU win extended his time in the sun. He got worse each week, though. Mac then returned and played his best ball.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Is it pronounced Lay-bus or Lah-bus? If it’s the former then he should change it.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
If Labus sucks, there's no one that won't be fine with some growing pains.

Here's all he has to do:

1. Don't throw the ball away on 4th down
2. Don't automatically throw the ball away if you see a jersey color that is not your own
3. Feel free to move about the pocket, left/right/up/back, areas outside the pocket are not lava
4. In the likely event no WRs or TEs are open, running is allowed
5. On occasion, it's fine to throw the ball deep, even if the WR isn't open by 11 yards
6. Clap hands after positive plays, only, and never as a nervous tick

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
If we’re talkin’ looking the part of a bold cocksman, my eyes tell me to be putting my eggs in the Carson May rather than Joey Labas basket.

but I’d really like a junior or senior transfer to give us a bridge year or two. and some insurance that I won’t be forced to endure another year watching #7 futzing around out there like a confused geriatric.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I have no evidence, but I just know Labas is going to be great.
I know your post is in jest, but actually there's a lot of truth to it. When comparing anyone to what we've endured with Petras, the word "great" becomes perfectly appropriate.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
If we’re talkin’ looking the part of a bold cocksman, my eyes tell me to be putting my eggs in the Carson May rather than Joey Labas basket.

but I’d really like a junior or senior transfer to give us a bridge year or two. and some insurance that I won’t be forced to endure another year watching #7 futzing around out there like a confused geriatric.
Unless May is Tom Brady there’s basically a 0.0% he plays. He’s not enrolling early.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

Futzing

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
If Labus sucks, there's no one that won't be fine with some growing pains.

Here's all he has to do:

1. Don't throw the ball away on 4th down
2. Don't automatically throw the ball away if you see a jersey color that is not your own
3. Feel free to move about the pocket, left/right/up/back, areas outside the pocket are not lava
4. In the likely event no WRs or TEs are open, running is allowed
5. On occasion, it's fine to throw the ball deep, even if the WR isn't open by 11 yards
6. Clap hands after positive plays, only, and never as a nervous tick
7. Never pirouette inside a clean pocket

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I saw something where Petras indicated a desire to lose some weight in order to increase his mobility.

Spencer, I don’t think that’s going to help.
He could saw a leg off and not lose mobility.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
First off he’s rail thin so where is the weight gonna come off from? If anything gaining some lower body and core strength is what would make him more mobile. FUCK!!!!

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
This can't be real.
Petras will take some time for his body to recover from a season in which he faced consistent pressure. He still wants to be Iowa’s No. 1 quarterback. Coaches have the responsibility to give whoever is in the room this spring (including freshman Joey Labas) a wide-open shot at the starting job while also pursuing the transfer portal. (They say they are.) Petras, meanwhile, will try to make himself better. It sounds like he might try to trim down his 233-pound frame with the goal of being more mobile in the pocket.

“I’m not going to turn into a guy that runs a 4.5 (in the 40-yard dash) — but just being able to move the chains here and there and get five yards, skip the pocket, stuff like that,” Petras said. “That’s a big point of emphasis for me moving forward. But the goal right now is going to be to let my body rest and just heal, because I’m playing through some stuff.”

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Seriously though, if he loses a leg, even if he’s super slow as it is, that’s going to make him even slower. Think people.
Yah if we are being serious about him playing with one leg, we are going to have to play out of the shotgun at all times. The play action will be incredibly ineffective and the lack of PA rollouts will put a huge damper on the running game.

nikolausp

Paid His Bills
Reaction score
For what it's worth, if he loses BOTH legs, I think his play will significantly drop off since then he wouldn't even have the ability to hop around on 1 leg. He'd have to get rid of the ball FAST, and obviously deflected / batted down balls would be a problem. We'd probably be better off just putting him out wide and running wildcat with a RB if he loses both legs.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Speaking of wildcat, I literally almost punched the tv when Iowa does that and puts Spencer over at the boundary. Making it 11 on 10. Intentionally. Just so dumb.
Between that and rushing to the line during 5 minute offense when Kentucky was already in a run heavy defensive set….I want mass firings.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
For what it's worth, if he loses BOTH legs, I think his play will significantly drop off since then he wouldn't even have the ability to hop around on 1 leg. He'd have to get rid of the ball FAST, and obviously deflected / batted down balls would be a problem. We'd probably be better off just putting him out wide and running wildcat with a RB if he loses both legs.
In this case he’d get blades, and be faster.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Between that and rushing to the line during 5 minute offense when Kentucky was already in a run heavy defensive set….I want mass firings.
I want death & destruction