**Official Kentucky vs. Iowa Citrus Bowl Thread - 12:00pm - ABC**

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Don’t forget how the first time they decided that the wildcat would be a good idea was on 3rd and 4 from the 5 yard line and resulted in a false start. What a fucking insane situation to attempt it. Settled for a field goal.
I actually applauded the false start when I saw they were in the wildcat. Figured it was a better result and we didn't lose a down.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Have we ever had a big play from the wildcat? Why is that still a play?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Have we ever had a big play from the wildcat? Why is that still a play?
They were really good out of it last year. A touchdown against Minnesota, the entirety of the last drive of the Illinois game. I think having ISM as a threat really helped.

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
Don’t forget how the first time they decided that the wildcat would be a good idea was on 3rd and 4 from the 5 yard line and resulted in a false start. What a fucking insane situation to attempt it. Settled for a field goal.
“Settled for a field goal”

- The Ballad of Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Speaking of wildcat, I literally almost punched the tv when Iowa does that and puts Spencer over at the boundary. Making it 11 on 10. Intentionally. Just so dumb.
This is the dumbest post in the history of hawkeyelounge.com

there is no way you can be a sports person and make this post.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
what do you think a defense would do if they saw a team sub their quarterback off the field while not bringing on special terms personnel? And they would be allowed to sub as you’re taking a player off the field.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
he’s a weird sorta pearish shaped dude, but taking 10 pounds off the middle isn’t gonna do shit for him. he’s just not blessed that way.
It’s unfortunate having this discussion a couple short days after a game in which the opposing QB looks like an OLB. Petras looks pitifully weak comparably. I’m sure he’s got that wirey strength, but the idea that he needs to LOSE weight just sort of makes me chuckle

Dude looks like he’s skipped more workouts than Akron Wadley

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
Yeah this isn’t a Eddie Lacy situation here. When it comes to speed and agility, weight is not the issue.

I can’t dunk a basketball because I’m 5’10”, aging and white. Maybe I’ll gain some weight so I can throw it down.

thrawn

Reaction score
The athleticism/speed doesn’t mean a lot if he isn’t comfortable with the movement. He isn’t athletic, but I actually don’t think being super athletic woulda matter as long as he has the panicky mindset.

Last edited:

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
he’s a weird sorta pearish shaped dude, but taking 10 pounds off the middle isn’t gonna do shit for him. he’s just not blessed that way.
I think he’s pear shaped because he has an odd frame not because of fat. He’s skinny as fuck

coff

Busker
Reaction score
The athleticism/speed doesn’t mean a lot if he isn’t comfortable with the movement. He isn’t athletic, but I actually don’t think being super athletic woulda matter as long as he has the panicky mindset.
This. Remember Ken Stabler? Sonny Jurgenson? Don't recall those guys being the picture of athletic prowess, and yet they were really good QBs. I think Spencer has sufficient athletic ability, and a strong enough arm. His problem, unfortunately, is that he is an incurable pants shitter.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I just don’t think he’s of a clay that can be molded into anything attractive to those looking for an athlete.

He’s had 4 fucking years to work on his body, and that’s the one he trots out there. Awkwardly.
Yep, four fucking years and he has some kind of epiphany going into his very last season that maybe it's finally time to improve himself. There's something infuriatingly wrong with this picture.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
“I’m not going to turn into a guy that runs a 4.5 (in the 40-yard dash) — but just being able to move the chains here and there and get five yards, skip the pocket, stuff like that,” Petras said. “That’s a big point of emphasis for me moving forward. But the goal right now is going to be to let my body rest and just heal, because I’m playing through some stuff.”
It's taken him four years to get this.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
For what it's worth, if he loses BOTH legs, I think his play will significantly drop off since then he wouldn't even have the ability to hop around on 1 leg. He'd have to get rid of the ball FAST, and obviously deflected / batted down balls would be a problem. We'd probably be better off just putting him out wide and running wildcat with a RB if he loses both legs.
Dead, legless Norm could outrun Petras.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This. Remember Ken Stabler? Sonny Jurgenson? Don't recall those guys being the picture of athletic prowess, and yet they were really good QBs. I think Spencer has sufficient athletic ability, and a strong enough arm. His problem, unfortunately, is that he is an incurable pants shitter.
Agreed with both of these. While slow, his "mobility" problem isn't that he's slow. It's that he doesn't know how or when to move in the pocket. In Iowa's offense, they don't need a guy juking LBs in the open field. They just need a guy who can buy an extra second or two in the pocket.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Agreed with both of these. While slow, his "mobility" problem isn't that he's slow. It's that he doesn't know how or when to move in the pocket. In Iowa's offense, they don't need a guy juking LBs in the open field. They just need a guy who can buy an extra second or two in the pocket.
Having extremely poor instincts and a near total lack of lower body athleticism is an utterly crippling combination. You’ve got to have elite anticipation to get away with his lack of quickness, and he’s nowhere near having it. In fact, he’s basically as bad as it gets on both counts.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Hey has a low T build.

Quarterbacks (and kickers) aren't asked to weight train at the same level as the rest of the team but to come away after 4 years with that build says more about his genetics than anything.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Hey has a low T build.

Quarterbacks (and kickers) aren't asked to weight train at the same level as the rest of the team but to come away after 4 years with that build says more about his genetics than anything.
Maybe he’s in the TB12 program and will turn into Brady next year.

shoot me

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Having extremely poor instincts and a near total lack of lower body athleticism is an utterly crippling combination. You’ve got to have elite anticipation to get away with his lack of quickness, and he’s nowhere near having it. In fact, he’s basically as bad as it gets on both counts.
LOL. Look, I agree that Spencer is not at the top of the college quarterback physical specimen list. But, let's not get carried away here. I mean, after all, on his worst day, he is a better athlete than you were on your best, right?

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
On the positive side, at least one of his 3 years at starter was the shitty COVID year that everyone in the country wants to forget. 3 regular years of Petras and I think the fanbase would be even more furious.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
LOL. Look, I agree that Spencer is not at the top of the college quarterback physical specimen list. But, let's not get carried away here. I mean, after all, on his worst day, he is a better athlete than you were on your best, right?
we talkin’ combine drills/events?