** Official Miami(Ohio) at Iowa Game Thread - 6:30pm - FS1 **

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
for a first game, it was very good.
That's where I'm at. There was never a sense that this game was in jeopardy. The cleaned some stuff up at halftime, and dominated in the second half. It's a typical Ferentz opener, but this team has offensive options unlike most years, and I think they can make a run.
Lol. You weren’t in chat tonight?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
That was a typical Iowa Football opening game. Slow start followed up by a completely dominant second half.

- Stanley had a great game on paper and mostly overall, but man he still shits his pants. The play where he had zero pressure but for some reason he completely freaked out and starting spinning and running backwards and then chucked the ball out of bound with nobody around him and got a grounding was hilarious and sad at the same time.

- Running game is much better. They still don't see obvious cuts but it is better than it was. Goodson will be getting a ton of caries later in the year.

- TE's didn't really miss a beat and made some tough catches and had great blocks. The true freshman also played.

- OL was mostly good. Hopefully Jackson is only dinged up.

- WR's are the most talented I can ever remember in the nearly 40 years I have been watching. Smith is great on those jump ball fades or one on one press coverage. ISM is much faster and stronger and got the corner on the reverse when he never has done that before. Ragniani (sp?) is a typical tough slot. Tracy looks damn good. Oliver Martin might actually be a stud and you can see the talent jump off the page.

- LB's and DB's had a rough game at points, but as long as they stop biting on obvious shit they should be fine. Cobert stood out.

- DT and DL is going to be very good. Gabbert was getting rid of the ball really quick and they were never able to really get to him. Epenesa was getting double and triple teamed and they ran away from him most of the night. That might end up being a theme most of the year.

- Phil Parker was doing that sort of annoying thing where they lay back and make a true freshman look like Peyton Manning, but eventually it works and he made mistakes at the end of the game and they blew it wide open.

The defense is strong and should only improve the rest of the year. They didn't play all that well and gave up 14 points, and really only gave that up because Brady Ross is a fucking retard. The season is going to go as Stanley and the offense goes. Iowa won't give up much more than a couple scores per game. If the offense can run the ball and be efficient, they should be set up for a really good year.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
This game was fine other than the Alaric Jackson injury and Nate making a few poor decisions. His end zone shot to Ragaini on 4th and 3 when he had Sargent open in the flat was most disappointing.

I thought it was interesting how many times they fed Goodson, they must like him quite a bit.
Goodson gets up to speed quick, looking forward to seeing him hit an open running lane, he will be tough to catch.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Stanley completes 70 percent, takes zero sacks and has 3 TD, 250 and 0 INT and he’s a “pants shitter?” Fuck off with that.

Iowa is going to win a fuck ton of games if Stanley posts a line like that every saturday

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Had to listen to radio for a few minutes late in the game. Here’s what I heard:

(It was when Tyler Goodson came in)

Dolph: Hand off to... uhhh... the Freshman... uhhh

Ed: Looks like that’s #15 Dallas Craddieth

(It was Goodson. Craddieth is also #15 but plays defense)

Then a minute later after they figured out it was Goodson:

Ed: Is he the one that came in mid semester?

Dolph: Yes that’s him.

Ed: You can tell that extra time has really paid off.

(Goodson didn’t come in early. That was Byrd.)

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
ISM and Sargent both look much improved. I was impressed with both.

Sargent had a strong finish to last year, and looks like it carried over.

I was incredibly impressed with his play in the passing game. He hung tough on two plays where he was clearly going to take a shot. That’s a big addition for the offense

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Two cool thing I noticed...Amani Jones is the first guy off the bench to congratulate teammates on nearly every play. And he’s a fucking wrecking ball on kick coverage

12-15 players hung around to hug and take pictures with Manny after the game.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
ISM and Sargent both look much improved. I was impressed with both.

Sargent had a strong finish to last year, and looks like it carried over.

I was incredibly impressed with his play in the passing game. He hung tough on two plays where he was clearly going to take a shot. That’s a big addition for the offense
The play he picked up the blitz and caught a dump off shows why he plays so much. Just does everything well, even if he isn’t an explosive runner.

gable_guy

Reaction score
Anecdotal but the Amani Jones blitz was also only the 2nd in the last 50 edge blitzes that didn’t result in the Iowa blitzer overrunning the QB.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Two cool thing I noticed...Amani Jones is the first guy off the bench to congratulate teammates on nearly every play. And he’s a fucking wrecking ball on kick coverage

12-15 players hung around to hug and take pictures with Manny after the game.
The tv camera caught Phil giving him a hug too

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Calvin Lockett wasn’t dressed today. Any word on why that was? He hurt?

I’m concerned about the DE depth. Gholston and Epenesa are studs, but they can’t play every down of every game like that did today. Need someone behind them to give them a break.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Chat is a raw, visceral experience. It's an orgy of emotion, opinion and often terrible takes woven into a beautiful tapestry that often culminates in a spirited Hawkeye win.

It's not for everyone

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Miami ran the toss play to Epenesas side enough that when they faked it on PA it froze him and slowed down his rush. He still pushed that left tackle back to the QB over and over.

Hopefully what Ross did results in him never getting another carry.

I also loved when they had 2 running backs on the field at the same time. Sucks that never happened with Wadley.

For a first game it was solid. They played very little 4-2-5 which was interesting. They also didn’t rotate very much on the defensive front which was weird but it didn’t really feel like they needed to if that makes sense. Also not playing Martin in the 1st half then playing him a bunch in the second half was odd.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score

Dolph also called the play clock the shot clock. Enjoyable.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Stanley did what he needed to do today but he was missing a lot of open receivers. Not just on overthrows but on check downs from guys breaking open to covered guys. He may go on to have a solid year, but his play for the most part is just nothing special at this point. Hopefully, that is enough the rest of the year.

CamelTones

Reaction score
The play where Stanley got destroyed and dumped it off to Sargent was awesome.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Also not playing Martin in the 1st half then playing him a bunch in the second half was odd.
They had probably already written their early game script before last week.

/sort of joking, but actually maybe.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Disappointed in DL penetration and pressure on QB. I know they doubled and went away from AJ but interior guys need to get pressure up the middle. Now after the game I heard Kirk and Dolph joke about going back to tear away jerseys so I assume there was a bit of holding going on inside?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

In fairness they all look the same to Dolph

douglasbader

Reaction score
I like this team man. They are frustrating like every single Iowa team has been since the history of time, but they are tough and won't quit.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I like how hard Young runs, but I think he closes his eyes and just goes. If he had any vision, he could be really good.

I really like Jones when he can just run and hit. Special teams and obvious passing downs.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Watching the footwork by Martin on the touchdown and even the play near the end of the game where he made a guy miss and got close to the goal line.

He is really fucking good, maybe even special.

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited:

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Maybe aj isn't really that good. Should probably stay another year after this season.

Reaction score
Thought Nate was very accurate. The incompletions were mostly in the right spot like the deep balls/fades that were a half step off based on some extra contact or adjustments by WR. The grounding was just a brain cramp.

Lot of good, young athletes on the field. Merriweather was a step slow but guessing he was processing a bit and hopefully improves. Offense was fairly diverse for the opener. Good week 1 performance overall.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
That play where Sargent picked up the LB blitz and then caught the dump off was glorious. I’m sure they are going to go wild about that in film sessions.

I was not impressed with Toren Young at all sans the TD run.

And yes, Stanley’s line was good on paper, but I thought it was more of the same. And Doug is spot on about the pants shitting. If he hits Ragini (sp?) in stride on that pass he goes to the house. Sure, they put it in the end zone a few plays later, but against a good team that could be the difference.

Much better in the second half than first, obviously, but a lot to clean up.

Last edited:

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
LOFL LOFL

Time out needed. WTF????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last year they got a delay of game on the very first fucking play so at least they’re learning, right?

CamelTones

Reaction score
Why didn’t Lattimore or Reiff have their names on the back of their jerseys?