** Official Miami(Ohio) at Iowa Game Thread - 6:30pm - FS1 **

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Why didn’t Lattimore or Reiff have their names on the back of their jerseys?
I don’t know but I’m still laughing at lookers chat comment about Dolph not being able to tell them apart without name on the back

The Dad

Legitimately Bald Forever and Stupid Looking
Reaction score
They were being held so they put tear aways on.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Was there any info on Jackson?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Disappointed in DL penetration and pressure on QB. I know they doubled and went away from AJ but interior guys need to get pressure up the middle. Now after the game I heard Kirk and Dolph joke about going back to tear away jerseys so I assume there was a bit of holding going on inside?
There were not a ton of opportunities though. Miami got the ball out quick by design and the fake toss froze AJ.

It might be in Iowa’s best interest to move him around a little bit but they won’t.

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Disappointed in DL penetration and pressure on QB. I know they doubled and went away from AJ but interior guys need to get pressure up the middle. Now after the game I heard Kirk and Dolph joke about going back to tear away jerseys so I assume there was a bit of holding going on inside?
There were not a ton of opportunities though. Miami got the ball out quick by design and the fake toss froze AJ.

It might be in Iowa’s best interest to move him around a little bit but they won’t.
I'm not sure it is in their best interest to move him around. If teams want to avoid his side, then great.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Was there any info on Jackson?
KF said they would know more Tuesday. Beat writers guessed this was timeline for MRI results.
It takes maybe a couple hours to get MRI results after the exam is done. I don’t know how soon ortho/sports med sees athletes in these cases, but I assume that is what they are waiting for when their clinic is open on Tuesday.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score

I'm not sure it is in their best interest to move him around. If teams want to avoid his side, then great.
Rather than move AJ, they need the other linemen to step up and take advantage of the double teams on AJ.

CamelTones

Reaction score

Rather than move AJ, they need the other linemen to step up and take advantage of the double teams on AJ.
Right but what if they can’t? You just say ‘well they’re going to double team him nothing we can do?’

(I do think Gholston will take advantage and Nixon will get better as the year goes on)

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score
Right but what if they can’t? You just say ‘well they’re going to double team him nothing we can do?’

(I do think Gholston will take advantage and Nixon will get better as the year goes on)
It's not terribly difficult for the offense to audible to the other side if they truly want to stay away from AJ. I don't think moving him around is the answer.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure IKM only got 1 snap last night and it was basically as a lead blocker for Goodson.

Byrd didn’t stand anywhere close to the huddle so those 2 appear to not be in the plans this year.

Bob

Reaction score
Writing has been on the wall with IKM for awhile, coaches almost never brought him up when they talked about the RBs in the offseason. It was always all about Sargent and Toren. Would have been nice to see what happened to his career without all the leg injuries. He looked really good when he got playing time his freshman year.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Rando thoughts:

1. Tristan Wirfs. Holy fucking shit.
2. Defensive line looks stout.
3. Djimon Colbert s a keeper. Other LBs?
4. Toren Young is just a ball player. Runs, catches and blocks with reckless abandon. His seal on the ISM end around was unreal. Unsung asset.
5. Love the two back set. So many options with two guys who can block and catch.
6. Linderbaum has a chance to be an all-timer.
7. Nate Stanley did fine. He did the Nate Stanley thing on that wrong-shoulder throw to Brandon Smith, but other than that, fine.
8. speaking of, Brandon Smith is also a ball player. Tyrone Tracy could do with some blocking incentives.
9. One thing that is a relief in losing two-All World tight ends is that you don't really need them very much when you have a half dozen options in the passing game.
10. Youtube tv DVR is fantastic.
11. Tristan Wirfs. Holy fucking shit.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Miami got away with a lot of grabbing of Iowa’s receivers and a big ol’ push off on their first TD.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Rando thoughts:

4. Toren Young is just a ball player. Runs, catches and blocks with reckless abandon. Unsung asset.
5. Love the two back set. So many options with two guys who can block and catch.
7. Nate Stanley did fine. He did the Nate Stanley thing on that wrong-shoulder throw to Brandon Smith, but other than that, fine.
8. speaking of, Brandon Smith is also a ball player. Tyrone Tracy could do with some blocking incentives.
9. One thing that is a relief in losing two-All World tight ends is that you don't really need them very much when you have a half dozen options in the passing game.
Linderbaum did have a very good game.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
Regarding Amani Jones on kick coverage. Laughing as you truckstick a guy...I love him.

Reaction score
Rando thoughts:

4. Toren Young is just a ball player. Runs, catches and blocks with reckless abandon. His seal on the ISM end around was unreal. Unsung asset.
What about Youtube TV DVR is so great? I have psvue and its a bit glitchy.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
Had the game on in the background this morning. The TE's are even better than I thought they were.

Weiting really is like HKC with his blocking and Beyer had that great catch and was able to block well.

Did Cook even play?

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
I really hope they run more counter plays as teams are still completely jumping the zone run and it is wide open for huge gains.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
Man, I forgot about Beyer's second catch that was even better than the first. He is fucking good.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Rando thoughts:

What about Youtube TV DVR is so great? I have psvue and its a bit glitchy.
For starters, it's unlimited. The interface, like all things yttv, is intuitive and cable like. The best part though is that ffwd/rewind is responsive and smooth, with guide windows that allow to see exactly where you are. Go Hawks.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Did Brents play a snap in the game? The backup corners were Johnson and Roberts at the end. Didn’t see much of Moss either.

Hawkeyegamefilm on twitter said Iowa went away from the cash after Miami’s long 3rd down conversion to the 1 bc Johnson bit on the play action. He’s also concerned about Merriweather.

Bob

Reaction score
Did Brents play a snap in the game? The backup corners were Johnson and Roberts at the end. Didn’t see much of Moss either.

Hawkeyegamefilm on twitter said Iowa went away from the cash after Miami’s long 3rd down conversion to the 1 bc Johnson bit on the play action. He’s also concerned about Merriweather.
I would hope they don't junk cash permanently because of one bad play.

Brents was hurt for basically the entire offseason, I think.

CamelTones

Reaction score

I highly doubt they do. Likely a teaching opportunity.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Merriweather seemed to be a step too slow on a few plays I noticed. Granted the throws were good, but I was thinking with experience he will be able to react quicker and will make those plays

Monster

Wise Whamo!
Reaction score

I doubt they junk it. But everything in football is cyclical and dependent on personnel. Maybe the Cash (ugh) position was successful due to who Iowa had playing there more than the adjustment itself? Maybe teams have had a couple years to look at it and have made adjustments of their own?

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
Merriwhether tackled well. Just not instinctive (hopefully yet) in the passing game.

Miami was not sending many guys on routes and focused on protection. 4-3 made sense as a result.

Reaction score
Can anyone remember a true freshman RB getting scripted into a season opener the way they did Goodson last night? Thought it was especially notable because his first series was right after Miami scored the TD to make it a 10 point game.

I really like Sargent as a #2/#3 RB, but as we saw on that screen, he doesn't have home run hitting speed. I wonder if the coaches think Goodson has that next gear the offense currently lacks at RB between Sargent/Young.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I will repeat what Jimmie said earlier, Gabbert is the real deal in putting the ball where it needed to be more times than not. I am surprised they were so undecided at QB but maybe that was just gamesmanship.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
Can anyone remember a true freshman RB getting scripted into a season opener the way they did Goodson last night? Thought it was especially notable because his first series was right after Miami scored the TD to make it a 10 point game.

I really like Sargent as a #2/#3 RB, but as we saw on that screen, he doesn't have home run hitting speed. I wonder if the coaches think Goodson has that next gear the offense currently lacks at RB between Sargent/Young.
I know that I am repeating!!!! myself, but it seems that we have a 2015 situation with the backs. Sergent is going to be the steady reliable back that is great at pass protection, Young is the Leshun Daniels type bruiser and Goodson is the young home run hitter like Wadley.

My guess is they are going to go similar to like they did last night with a steady diet of Sergent/Young for the first 3 quarters and then put in Goodson when the other team is worn down and see if he can break some big runs.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Merriweather seemed to be a step too slow on a few plays I noticed. Granted the throws were good, but I was thinking with experience he will be able to react quicker and will make those plays

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I thought that Lattimore was making more plays than I’ve ever seen from him.

Linderbaum was as expected given the high praise from the coaches. He’s going to be very good.

Goodson has a spark that the other RBs do not. Great to see that he is going to get used.

Iowa’s pash rush was less than satisfying.

Agreed with all of the comments about Merriweather being a step behind all night.

I’m surprised to see so few comments of concern about Jackson. It’s a big deal if he is out for an extended period.

Was shocked to see #64 as the first OL replacement when Jackson went down as his name was (and remains) completely unknown to me.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

Linderbaum was as expected given the high praise from the coaches. He’s going to be very good.

Goodson has a spark that the other RBs do not. Great to see that he is going to get used.

Agreed with all of the comments about Merriweather being a step behind all night.

I’m surprised to see so few comments of concern about Jackson. It’s a big deal if he is out for an extended period.

Was shocked to see #64 as the first OL replacement when Jackson went down as his name was (and remains) completely unknown to me.
Kyler Schott. I had to look him up when he came in, which I don’t normally have to do.

RS walkon sophomore

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
It looks like there were 3 total true freshmen that played, correct?

I didn't realize that Justin Britt played and was in on a rushing TD. They must really like him to be playing him, they only do that with future high round draft pick types.

Bob

Reaction score

Kyler Schott. I had to look him up when he came in, which I don’t normally have to do.

RS walkon sophomore
He was really good too. Absolutely buried his guy a few times.

Agreed on Lattimore, I thought that was easily his best game.

Reaction score

RS walkon sophomore
He was really good too. Absolutely buried his guy a few times.

Agreed on Lattimore, I thought that was easily his best game.

Hawk4Life94

Douche4Life who uses musical Christmas lights
Reaction score

#64 not only held his own, he was killing #17 on inside zone.