**Official Michigan State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11:00am - ESPN**

Reaction score
Was it Hankins that sucked yesterday? I have a feeling Moss will be picked on next week.
Moss looked like he got sucked way too deep in his coverage 2-3 times yesterday, and would have easily been burnt underneath for 9-12 yards if Lombardi wasn’t so fucking terrible.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I think the most encouraging part of yesterday was the pressure the DLine was able to generate. First 2 games that was a massive issue. When Iowa’s D can’t generate pressure with the front four it seems to create serious issues with their playcalling
Merriweather and Benson appear to at least be solid too.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Moss didn’t exactly get beat on that deep throw. He was in great position. The ball was just thrown to the outside where he had no chance to make a play.

Hankins got flat out torched on his bad play. No idea what he was doing. No way that’s the technique they’re coached on. Didn’t get a hand in the receiver and just let him run right by him.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
I have not given up on Petras. It has been an unusual year in terms of practice and development for a 1st year starter. Not ready to write him off yet although it would be good to see him take a couple steps and show some signs here in the next few weeks.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Was surprised to see those walkon receivers in garbage time over Desmond Hutson.

Lachey was also the freshman garbage time TE over Yelverton.

Jacobs made a great stop on a 3rd and 3 play as well as giving the punter a pancake block on Jones TD return. The other reps when he’s in he’s seemed to over think what he was suppose to do. Another year and he should be able to compete foe Niemanns spot with Colbert.

Benson has been pretty good. Might consider bulking Campbell up to 255 and having him play end.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
It was also obvious with the number of boot leg plays that they were trying to help Spencer out by taking away half the field.
I think the play calling yesterday maybe indicated they are starting to have doubts about Petras, which they should. I actually hope they maybe work Padilla in practice some with the first team. Maybe part of the problem is that Petras seems to have been anointed the future with a lot of segments featuring him and not a lot of heat on him. Turn that up and let him know his job isn't exactly safe and maybe that makes his brain shut off his pants shitting and start playing with a little more urgency.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Hankins had a rough couple plays, but was good overall.

Moss got beat deep, but his coverage wasn't bad and he got pushed off.

Sometimes teams complete passes deep. It happens.
MSU completed like 15 of those against UM. Michigan sort of sucks, but those WR have talent.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Iowa needs to take way way more shots down the field. If you aren't taking at least 6-10 shots deep per game in 2020, then you are a fucking idiot.

They took 2 shots yesterday and got an easy PI both times. Michigan State took like 4 or 5 shots and something good happened on most of them. The only one that didn't was a scramble play that Lombardi launched deep and basically ended up being a punt.

I fucking despise that Iowa can't figure this out, especially given they have multiple guys who can actually get open deep.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I doubt he bazookas short throws in practice. I imagine his lack of touch and poise are related. Gets sped up and nervous and goes to the fastball.
Definitely. He clearly has touch, he throws a great fade route. I think things are just moving a little fast for him still.

Reaction score

everyone keeps talking about the one Moss play where he got beat deep. I think he had SEVERAL issues underneath that we’re not talking about today since Lombardi sucks

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Poise? No

you really don’t think you can tell a kid “hey take a bit off on those short routes and screen”?
I think they would have after the first game. But here we are after game 3, talking about the same thing. I hope he can figure it out but a game quarterback makes that adjustment before the third damn game. You're either a pants shitter or you're not. Doesn't look great for Spencer, imo. Would be nice if it clicks though, the kid can make every throw.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I think they would have after the first game. But here we are after game 3, talking about the same thing. I hope he can figure it out but a game quarterback makes that adjustment before the third damn game. You're either a pants shitter or you're not. Doesn't look great for Spencer, imo. Would be nice if it clicks though, the kid can make every throw.
Agreed. I’m concerned but hopeful he’ll figure some things out.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
everyone keeps talking about the one Moss play where he got beat deep. I think he had SEVERAL issues underneath that we’re not talking about today since Lombardi sucks
it almost like this was the plan, and has been for 20+ years

thrawn

Reaction score
People complain about the secondary from time to time but despite how much praise Ferentz gets for putting OL in the NFL I think it’s actually probably actual Phil’s work with the secondary that deserves the most praise.
Phil is a good DC, but he’s one of the best position coaches in the country. The run of DBs Iowa has had is amazing, especially with mostly average recruits.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
MSU completed like 15 of those against UM. Michigan sort of sucks, but those WR have talent.
that was scheme, too. Michigan playing tight man time over time again and getting burned while Iowa sat in zone and waited for Lombardi to fuck up.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Did any of the true freshman or young DL get any playing time yesterday? I’m thinking about Logan Lee or Deontae Craig most specifically but curious about the depth being built.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Things were said that could be unsaid, apparently.

Greg Obrecht

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Ol’ Strat thinks this would have been more appropriate

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Iowa needs to take way way more shots down the field. If you aren't taking at least 6-10 shots deep per game in 2020, then you are a fucking idiot.

They took 2 shots yesterday and got an easy PI both times. Michigan State took like 4 or 5 shots and something good happened on most of them. The only one that didn't was a scramble play that Lombardi launched deep and basically ended up being a punt.

I fucking despise that Iowa can't figure this out, especially given they have multiple guys who can actually get open deep.
And can catch contested balls

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
We all say dumb stuff, but lol'ing that after losing to Northwestern a couple comments were made that Iowa was unlikely to win a game this year or be favored again going forward.

Iowa was favored by -7 the very next game and now -3 on the road.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

That’s football.

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
We all say dumb stuff, but lol'ing that after losing to Northwestern a couple comments were made that Iowa was unlikely to win a game this year or be favored again going forward.

Iowa was favored by -7 the very next game and now -3 on the road.
Who was fucking dumb enough to think Iowa wasn't going to win another game?????