**Official Michigan State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11:00am - ESPN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think people underestimate how truly hard it is to go an entire conference season without winning a game. You have to be truly fucking terrible.

Northwestern was one of the worst teams I have seen last year and even they won a conference game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Based on the trajectory of last weekend there was a significant “chance” albeit not probable
Oh my, this is even dumber than the previous statement. They had the ball and a chance to win at the end in a game they lost by 1 point to a team that is currently unbeaten and you thought the trajectory was significant "chance" that they wouldn't win a game.

Holy shit man.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I think people underestimate how truly hard it is to go an entire conference season without winning a game. You have to be truly fucking terrible.

Northwestern was one of the worst teams I have seen last year and even they won a conference game.
Yes, not probable but looking at the first 2 games there did appear to be a chance. It doesn’t fucking matter now so fuck all y’all

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yes, not probable but looking at the first 2 games there did appear to be a chance. It doesn’t fucking matter now so fuck all y’all
No. No, there didn't appear to be a chance. They fucked up some plays and had shitty turnovers and lost 2 very competitive games by a couple points and in both game had the ball either driving to win or had the ball and a chance to win.

Stop digging in, you sound like a complete moron.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
No. No, there didn't appear to be a chance. They fucked up some plays and had shitty turnovers and lost 2 very competitive games by a couple points and in both game had the ball either driving to win or had the ball and a chance to win.

Stop digging in, you sound like a complete moron.
I’ll dig in if I want to dig in. I’m just calling it like I see it.

thrawn

Reaction score
If you had figured after the first two games that Iowa was a touchdown underdog in every game there would still only be like an 11% chance they lose all 6

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
If you had figured after the first two games that Iowa was a touchdown underdog in every game there would still only be like an 11% chance they lose all 6
Significant chance, but not probable. Exactly. It’s hyperbole.

Come on halo. Live a little

thrawn

Reaction score
Significant chance, but not probable. Exactly. It’s hyperbole.

Come on halo. Live a little
Except no one would have given you 7 points for each of the last six games. It’s really hard to go winless unless you really suck and are just getting smoked every game.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
It’s still 50/50 that they really do suck and yesterday was fools gold.

COME AT ME DOUG

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I think it’s fair to say Illinois is the worst team in the league. I’m not really sure who the second worst team is.

Penn State is 0-3 but I don’t think anyone would say they’re the 13th best team. Nebrantska is 0-2 but is still probably like the 9th best team just because of the supposed talent they have.

I think it’s Michigan State.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
It's a shame medical school doesn't provide classes to teach students about dumbfuckery

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think it’s fair to say Illinois is the worst team in the league. I’m not really sure who the second worst team is.

Penn State is 0-3 but I don’t think anyone would say they’re the 13th best team. Nebrantska is 0-2 but is still probably like the 9th best team just because of the supposed talent they have.

I think it’s Michigan State.
I think it is way too early to tell. Michigan State is down, but not sure they are the 2nd worst. Could be more middle of the pack. They lost to Rutgers, but it looks like Rutgers might be somewhat competitive. Iowa was just a snowball game and a bad match-up for them. That happens even to good teams. Not to mention they beat Michigan at Michigan.

My guess is this is a year where there really isn't a clear 2nd worst team. It might end up being that Illinois is terrible and then you have 6 or 7 teams that are all pretty much even with each other.

The only really clear thing I think you can say right now is that Ohio State is really good and Illinois is really bad. Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin and dare I say even possibly Iowa (hopefully) could be in the second tier. Hell, even Maryland here as well.

Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, Nebrantska, Michigan State and Rutgers a step below. Grouping them all together because none of them have a good win and all of them have been blown out.

Reaction score
that was scheme, too. Michigan playing tight man time over time again and getting burned while Iowa sat in zone and waited for Lombardi to fuck up.
Bingo. His strength is the deep ball with a little bit of scrambling. Force him to make good decisions and be accurate consistently underneath and he'll struggle.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Re-watching some of the game and I think Charlie Jones really might make a huge difference in the offense if they keep using him. The offense was rolling when they were using all the varied motion early.

That only works long term if you actually do give it to the motion guy and he is able to break off a couple big runs and punish them for jumping the zone run slants and loading the box.

Maybe it will end up being an anomaly, but where Jones seemed to be different from the other guys (specifically ISM) when they run that jet sweep is when he gets it he is going full speed with zero hesitation. ISM always seems to get it and is more worried about having his eyes upfield and isn't running full speed and hesitating to see if he should string it out or cut it up.

Jones just worries about bursting out as fast and hard as he can and then checks. It was noticeable.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think Brian was infected on some level by Greg Davis. There are plays he calls on 3rd down that don't have a prayer of working and are just horrifically designed and the personnel on the field is just wrong.

For example, with 1:50 to go in the 1st quarter on 3rd and 8 they run this....

- They go shotgun empty 5 wide. Charlie Jones is split out way way out of the camera shot up top. Ragani is sort of wide at top. Shaun Beyer is in the slot. LaPorta is in the short side slot and Smith is short side wide.

- Ragani runs a 1 yard stop and turn around route. Sean Beyer plods his way to a yard short of the 1st down marker and cuts in but is slow and covered like a blanket. LaPorta runs a 3 yard stop pivot route. Smith runs a route to a yard short of the 1st down and turns around. Who the fuck knows what Jones is doing because you never even see him he is so far up top.

- Petras locks onto LaPorta from the snap, never looks anywhere else and throws it even though he is blanketed and essentially double covered. He is lucky the ball is tipped, because if it wasn't it was at worst getting batted down or intercepted and at best LaPorta would be immediately tackled 5 yards short of the first down.

To sum it up, Beyer is in the slot instead of Tracy. 4 of 5 guys run routes that have no chance of making a first down. The 5th guy is somewhere near the Ped Mall he is so far away. Petras is locked on a player that is covered 5 yards short of the first down and was throwing it to him no matter what.

Terrible fucking play and shows the young QB is not seeing the field or situation at all. They would have been better running a Hayden 3rd down draw play.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I think Brian was infected on some level by Greg Davis. There are plays he calls on 3rd down that don't have a prayer of working and are just horrifically designed and the personnel on the field is just wrong.

For example, with 1:50 to go in the 1st quarter on 3rd and 8 they run this....

- They go shotgun empty 5 wide. Charlie Jones is split out way way out of the camera shot up top. Ragani is sort of wide at top. Shaun Beyer is in the slot. LaPorta is in the short side slot and Smith is short side wide.

- Ragani runs a 1 yard stop and turn around route. Sean Beyer plods his way to a yard short of the 1st down marker and cuts in but is slow and covered like a blanket. LaPorta runs a 3 yard stop pivot route. Smith runs a route to a yard short of the 1st down and turns around. Who the fuck knows what Jones is doing because you never even see him he is so far up top.

- Petras locks onto LaPorta from the snap, never looks anywhere else and throws it even though he is blanketed and essentially double covered. He is lucky the ball is tipped, because if it wasn't it was at worst getting batted down or intercepted and at best LaPorta would be immediately tackled 5 yards short of the first down.

To sum it up, Beyer is in the slot instead of Tracy. 4 of 5 guys run routes that have no chance of making a first down. The 5th guy is somewhere near the Ped Mall he is so far away. Petras is locked on a player that is covered 5 yards short of the first down and was throwing it to him no matter what.

Terrible fucking play and shows the young QB is not seeing the field or situation at all. They would have been better running a Hayden 3rd down draw play.
I think they saw the need to cut the number of reads for Petras. Hopefully they do, because he doesn’t seem to be able to handle it.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
LOL scroll to the bottom of the photos for Mark Kallenberger swag surfin.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Benson is pretty good. Campbell is just a difference maker at linebacker. Campbell has first team all douche potential for the next couple seasons and looks to me like a guy who will be drafted pretty high when he decides to leave.
The hawks should be pretty good at linebacker next year.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Benson isn’t bad, Campbell is just really fucking good.
Benson isn’t “bad,” but there remains a lot of room between his 2020 performance thus far and being “good.”

And I’ll also agree that Campbell is a legitimate difference maker at the position and he really needs to see the vast majority of snaps moving forward.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Benson isn’t “bad,” but there remains a lot of room between his 2020 performance thus far and being “good.”

And I’ll also agree that Campbell is a legitimate difference maker at the position and he really needs to see the vast majority of snaps moving forward.
Benson is another Mike Klingenborg. Solid if they run right at him, not much range and invisible in pass coverage.