**Official Minnesota vs. Iowa Football Thread - 3pm - Fox**

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The postgame show focused on how MN “lost” the game, not how Iowa won. The talking heads continued this narrative until Urban spoke up and said that Iowa was the better team. I hated Urban for so many years, but I really like him on TV. He cuts through the bullshit and obviously has a lot of respect for Iowa.
I agree with you regarding Urban, and I’m not saying any of the other guys on that set look at these numbers but shit like this is why people say stupid shit...

I mean yeah, Minnesota racked up a bunch of yards. But Kirk even said on the radio after the game that they knew they would give up chunk plays because Minnesota has good players, they just needed to eliminate the big plays, stop the run, hold them to field goals and force them to use clock which Iowa did.

The coaches coach to time and score. Not to what their YPP is.
That’s Deace thinking’s that he’s unlocked some hidden metric that everyone else has missed for like 100 years. He’s a fucking Dunning-Kruger midwit who isn’t as smart as he thinks he is.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Koerner was lost and overmatched yesterday. They have to at least explore if they have a better option next year.

Even if he does stay, that is likely ok as long as Doyle isn't the starter. If not, that is a couple of glaring holes in the defense. Hoping that Jestin Jacobs is the real deal and can play next year.
Has anyone read or heard much about Craddieth? He was a big time recruit
Basically when anyone asks about him the coaches say he’s working hard. Media guys say the same thing which makes me think he’s not anywhere close at the moment. I mean, he’s not even on special teams.

Im guessing if that’s the case then free safety is not an option for him.
Well that’s depressing

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
The postgame show focused on how MN “lost” the game, not how Iowa won. The talking heads continued this narrative until Urban spoke up and said that Iowa was the better team. I hated Urban for so many years, but I really like him on TV. He cuts through the bullshit and obviously has a lot of respect for Iowa.
I agree with you regarding Urban, and I’m not saying any of the other guys on that set look at these numbers but shit like this is why people say stupid shit...

I mean yeah, Minnesota racked up a bunch of yards. But Kirk even said on the radio after the game that they knew they would give up chunk plays because Minnesota has good players, they just needed to eliminate the big plays, stop the run, hold them to field goals and force them to use clock which Iowa did.

Burt Blum says YPP is the most important stat in the history of the world.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score

@midgetblum

Edit: Scooped by TIH but leaving it.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I dont, but you seemed perplexed. We used to have people stand on the row then a couple people would stand below in walkway and shotgun beers we brought in. Plus everyone used to just bring botas of mixed stuff

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

yanking pollards penus?

thrawn

Reaction score

I understand and appreciate the idea of YPP, but everyone using it (at least on Twitter) seems to ignore the way game states influence strategy, treat plays as independent events, and assume that 130 plays is a significant sample size.

the stuff based on play by play data tends to rank Iowa lower than other computer metrics. When Iowa consistently outperforms the stemming projections, perhaps the model isn’t as strong as you think

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Has anyone read or heard much about Craddieth? He was a big time recruit
Basically when anyone asks about him the coaches say he’s working hard. Media guys say the same thing which makes me think he’s not anywhere close at the moment. I mean, he’s not even on special teams.

Im guessing if that’s the case then free safety is not an option for him.
Well that’s depressing
I would be shocked if he isn't in the transfer portal sometime this spring.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
The YPP stat is only worth something if drives end in TDs instead of FG attempts.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
At the end of the day there's only one stat that matters, the score. Games can be very skewed by chunk plays, turnovers, and other things. So to compare one to the next isn't terribly reliable. As Hayden used to say, if the other team doesn't score, the worst you can do is tie. Of course he also said, tying is like kissing your sister...".

Bob

Reaction score
YPP is a useful predictive stat and Iowa is probably not going to win a ton of games where they get outgained that badly but they won this one so who gives a shit.

Reaction score

He likely didn’t play football past YSF

Reaction score
JFC, you guys need to chill about Koerner. He is starting at safety for a defense that leads the nation in fewest big plays allowed and is allowing 12.4 pts per game. If he was as bad as you claim, neither of those things would be close to true. It's been been way too long since you've seen an actual bad player at safety for Iowa. I still have Harold Dalton nightmares.

Minnesota's system is really good and their WRs are at least a Top 10 and maybe a Top 5 group in the nation. They tore up Penn State on deep balls last week. We did one hell of a job of limiting impact plays by those guys.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect all your safeties to be Sean Considine or better

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I watched the game last night. Minnesota is a pretty damn good team and this is a nice win. It's still Minnesota, and fuck them, but they appeared to me to be the best team Iowa has played this year. Some other thoughts:

1. Seemed to be a ton of Minnesota fans, maybe the most I've seen from a visiting team BTT since Ohio State. They were actually pretty loud for a short period of time.

2. Hawkvision was funny and needs to stay

3. I always think I'm drunker than I am when I can't understand what is said through the stadium sound system

4. Anything Iowa does besides the wave in dead periods is awful. The music, the scoreboard, the gimmicks, the interviews, the band

Reaction score
Yea, maybe the best passing attack we’ve faced all year. Their defense and special teams have some holes though and a big reason why we won.

I see Goodson had only 13 carries but 94 yards. Feels like we could have gotten the ball into his hands a bit more, especially on those 3rd down blitzes we had trouble with. He’s already shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield but we won, so I’ll leave it alone for now. Like the others have already stated, it’s glaringly obvious that he has an extra gear the others do not have and it makes a difference in the run game.

Last edited:

IowaWigman

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I watched the game last night. Minnesota is a pretty damn good team and this is a nice win. It's still Minnesota, and fuck them, but they appeared to me to be the best team Iowa has played this year. Some other thoughts:

1. Seemed to be a ton of Minnesota fans, maybe the most I've seen from a visiting team BTT since Ohio State. They were actually pretty loud for a short period of time.

3. I always think I'm drunker than I am when I can't understand what is said through the stadium sound system

4. Anything Iowa does besides the wave in dead periods is awful. The music, the scoreboard, the gimmicks, the interviews, the band
What I don’t understand is you spend millions redoing the north endzone and you don’t even bother putting speakers there. It’s comical when 1) you can’t understand what is being said a lot of the time and 2) the audio that is supposed to be in sync with the video is on a 1 second delay because you only have speakers in the south endzone.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I would bitch about the out of town scores being too small also, but whatevs.

Cell service in the stadium seemed to be working fine for me. That was a first.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing a HC sprint onto the field due to an injured player. That's for the medical staff to do. I figured he was out there trying to prevent retaliation after the late hit. But why lie about it?

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score

It was for sure the most Minnesota fans I've ever seen but last years Nebrantska game was the most visiting fans I've ever seen by far.

Reaction score
I would bitch about the out of town scores being too small also, but whatevs.

Cell service in the stadium seemed to be working fine for me. That was a first.
Kinnick’s WiFi setup could use some upgrading. I’d lose my connection every 5 min or so

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing a HC sprint onto the field due to an injured player. That's for the medical staff to do. I figured he was out there trying to prevent retaliation after the late hit. But why lie about it?
Because PJ Fleck is an enormous faggot.

Last edited:
Reaction score

What I don’t understand is you spend millions redoing the north endzone and you don’t even bother putting speakers there. It’s comical when 1) you can’t understand what is being said a lot of the time and 2) the audio that is supposed to be in sync with the video is on a 1 second delay because you only have speakers in the south endzone.
Never noticed that, is that normal? I don’t think I’ve ever heard the PA system either. How does Kinnick’s sound compared to other stadiums?

douglasbader

Reaction score
He's a spaz. It was a huge 4th down play and he saw the late hit and he spazzed out and sprinted out there like a moron NBA player coming off the bench during a fight before the assistant coaches can stop them.

Nothing more to it, he simply is a spaz that had a normal spaz reaction for him and his dork stuff like sprinting everywhere got him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The sad thing about PJ Fleck is he actually really can coach and develop talent. Western Michigan had a couple legit good teams that had talent. He has taken Minnesota from middle of the road and has developed a good line, found a quarterback and has stud receivers along with some decent defensive players.

He will likely have trouble moving beyond Minnesota because almost no serious program will want to deal with his snake oil sideshow bullshit.

Reaction score
He sprinted out on the field because it's the PJ Fleck show and he's on TV.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
They return a ton on offense, assuming no one leaves early. They lose a bunch on defense.

douglasbader

Reaction score
is that qb a senior? hope so.
Minnesota brings back their entire offense except for Johnson at WR and 2 of their RB's.

The defense is the opposite. They lose 8/11 starters and possibly Winfield Jr. if he goes early.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Morgan wasn't necessarily going to be their starter Annexstad (also a soph) seemed to be the favored choice, but he broke his foot early in fall practices.

Bob

Reaction score
I didn't realize Bateman was only a sophomore, goddamn. The line is really young and is going to be back next year so I expect they're still going to be a huge pain on offense. They have a good scheme too, although PJ has a tendency to get too conservative. He seems like he really wants to be a run first team and that isn't their strength at all. I was relieved every single time they handed the ball off.

Reaction score
Morgan wasn't necessarily going to be their starter Annexstad (also a soph) seemed to be the favored choice, but he broke his foot early in fall practices.
Never understood that either. They were the better team with Morgan last year too, yet they went back to Annexstad. It’s just one game but it seems like he’s the best QB we’ve faced all year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

I understand and appreciate the idea of YPP, but everyone using it (at least on Twitter) seems to ignore the way game states influence strategy, treat plays as independent events, and assume that 130 plays is a significant sample size.

the stuff based on play by play data tends to rank Iowa lower than other computer metrics. When Iowa consistently outperforms the stemming projections, perhaps the model isn’t as strong as you think
Yards per play is like effective field goal % in basketball. It's probably the most important individual metric if you're looking at things holistically, but there's a ton of other stuff that should be taken into account. It's why it's one of the 'four factors' for basketball.

Like in a basketball game, yeah, maybe you shot the ball more efficiently than your opponent. But if they out-rebound you and you turned the ball over a ton, you don't get to say that you should have won the game because you shot better. Those things count too.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
That offense could be a real bitch the next two years, but they’re going to have to outgun everyone, and the success rate on that kind of approach tends to vary.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
That offense could be a real bitch the next two years, but they’re going to have to outgun everyone, and the success rate on that kind of approach tends to vary.
I’m glad we’ll be better than them at RB and at least very good at receiver. They are going to move the ball on most everyone

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You can’t have speakers at both ends can you?

I mean it seems hard to defeat the laws of how sound travels. I am in the NEZ and can understand everything perfectly fine.

my only complaint is that I think the cold weather tightens up the subs a bit, they were hitting harder earlier in the year.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Did anyone else listen to sound-off on the way home? I suppose most of this board was back home on the Eastside by then. But they kept starting the PJ Fleck statement posted above at random times and then seeing how long it was until he said the word "I". I think the longest gap was 7 seconds. It was a good way to describe what Minnesota's program is all about right now, one guy.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
He will likely have trouble moving beyond Minnesota because almost no serious program will want to deal with his snake oil sideshow bullshit.
You may be underestimating how desperate some schools are to regain winning football.
We all think he's a moron, but he may be more relatable to high school kids than Kirk is right now. It doesn't make him a better coach, but it may make him a better recruiter.

Reaction score
I’m glad we’ll be better than them at RB and at least very good at receiver. They are going to move the ball on most everyone
They’ll be ok at RB next year. The one guy they have returning ran for 1200 yards last year after the top two RBs went down with injuries early on

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I mean it seems hard to defeat the laws of how sound travels. I am in the NEZ and can understand everything perfectly fine.
When LVB was talking , it was almost impossible to actually understand the sentences. Not that I really care, but it was pretty bad (NEZ)

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Did anyone else listen to sound-off on the way home? I suppose most of this board was back home on the Eastside by then. But they kept starting the PJ Fleck statement posted above at random times and then seeing how long it was until he said the word "I". I think the longest gap was 7 seconds. It was a good way to describe what Minnesota's program is all about right now, one guy.
He’s the HoHa of Big Ten coaches.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Speaking of bad speaker decisions, why the hell were those cannons going off during the halftime show? Maybe they lined up with the music for 10% of the crowd but for us in the south end zone who could barely hear the band in the first place it was an annoying nuisance.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Yea, maybe the best passing attack we’ve faced all year. Their defense and special teams have some holes though and a big reason why we won.

I see Goodson had only 13 carries but 94 yards. Feels like we could have gotten the ball into his hands a bit more, especially on those 3rd down blitzes we had trouble with. He’s already shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield but we won, so I’ll leave it alone for now. Like the others have already stated, it’s glaringly obvious that he has an extra gear the others do not have and it makes a difference in the run game.
His touchdown run was a prime example. Sargent would have been tackled for a two yard loss or possibly broke that first tackle and made it back to the LOS.

Goodsen was fast enough to break both tackles and turned it into a 10 yard touchdown run. No other running backs on the team do better than get back to the LOS.