**Official Minnesota vs. Iowa Football Thread - 3pm - Fox**

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
As Hayden used to say, if the other team doesn't score, the worst you can do is tie. Of course he also said, tying is like kissing your sister...".
Winning is like kissing my sister ;)

Reaction score
The sad thing about PJ Fleck is he actually really can coach and develop talent. Western Michigan had a couple legit good teams that had talent. He has taken Minnesota from middle of the road and has developed a good line, found a quarterback and has stud receivers along with some decent defensive players.

He will likely have trouble moving beyond Minnesota because almost no serious program will want to deal with his snake oil sideshow bullshit.
Going to disagree. If boosters want to win, they don’t give a shit who is on the sidelines for many schools.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
He will likely have trouble moving beyond Minnesota because almost no serious program will want to deal with his snake oil sideshow bullshit.
You may be underestimating how desperate some schools are to regain winning football.
We all think he's a moron, but he may be more relatable to high school kids than Kirk is right now. It doesn't make him a better coach, but it may make him a better recruiter.
They have had numerous players decomit and leave the program because they get sick of his shit. His schtick is on 24/7 and wears thin for some.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
The improvement in recruiting at the U of MN, in my opinion is due to the completion of the Athletic Village complex. It is a very well planned and impressive commitment to all sports.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
You can’t have speakers at both ends can you?

I mean it seems hard to defeat the laws of how sound travels. I am in the NEZ and can understand everything perfectly fine.

my only complaint is that I think the cold weather tightens up the subs a bit, they were hitting harder earlier in the year.
Absolutely yes. And it's dumb not to, based on the comments above.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
You may be underestimating how desperate some schools are to regain winning football.
We all think he's a moron, but he may be more relatable to high school kids than Kirk is right now. It doesn't make him a better coach, but it may make him a better recruiter.
They have had numerous players decomit and leave the program because they get sick of his shit. His schtick is on 24/7 and wears thin for some.
College kids all the time get sick of coaches shit. Usually it's guys who think they should be playing and aren't.

It's not out of the realm that he's just a really good recruiter, good coach, and awful human.

There isn't much history to base his actual ability from, but he's on a similar path as he was at Western Michigan. No one knows if it's sustainable there or not, but based on what I've seen, he's got a top 3 team in the BTW, after three years.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
College kids all the time get sick of coaches shit. Usually it's guys who think they should be playing and aren't.

It's not out of the realm that he's just a really good recruiter, good coach, and awful human.

There isn't much history to base his actual ability from, but he's on a similar path as he was at Western Michigan. No one knows if it's sustainable there or not, but based on what I've seen, he's got a top 3 team in the BTW, after three years.
Okay, so he’s got a team that’s better than Illinois, Purdue without its two best players, and Nebrantska. I will get to work on making his top 3 in the BTW award. He will have to make some space in his office for it by rearranging the self-designed shoes worn during his biggest coaching victories.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
It would get old playing for a coach that forces you to give him a standing ovation when he walks into meetings.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score

Okay, so he’s got a team that’s better than Illinois, Purdue without its two best players, and Nebrantska. I will get to work on making his top 3 in the BTW award. He will have to make some space in his office for it by rearranging the self-designed shoes worn during his biggest coaching victories.
How many times has Minnesota won 10 games in a season? Maybe a Maroney and Barber team? This team is in position to win the BTW. Discounting what he has done there is pretty stupid at this point.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If Northwestern had a pulse on offense, I would be tempted to say Minnesota struggles this weekend. They are so bad that I don't think they have a chance.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
That RB NW saved for this past week (I think trying to preserve his 4-game RS) is pretty damn good. I think Fitz will have his guys ready...Their QB is actually that bad, tho...so a full-fledged upset is tough to envision. I'll predict NW leads at halftime...

gable_guy

Reaction score
Is this with the assumption Morgan is out on concussion protocol?

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
That RB NW saved for this past week (I think trying to preserve his 4-game RS) is pretty damn good. I think Fitz will have his guys ready...Their QB is actually that bad, tho...so a full-fledged upset is tough to envision. I'll predict NW leads at halftime...
Not this shit again

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Minnesota northwestern amazingly opened-7 but is up to -13. I would happily give the 13 I think Minnesota rolls.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
You can’t have speakers at both ends can you?

I mean it seems hard to defeat the laws of how sound travels. I am in the NEZ and can understand everything perfectly fine.

my only complaint is that I think the cold weather tightens up the subs a bit, they were hitting harder earlier in the year.
Absolutely yes. And it's dumb not to, based on the comments above.
Isn’t the issue reverb? With speakers at both ends you can turn the volume down to reduce that, and tell @L. Wade Childress To gfz

douglasbader

Reaction score
Minnesota northwestern amazingly opened-7 but is up to -13. I would happily give the 13 I think Minnesota rolls.
So basically the computers screaming 1 score game but the public immediately bet it way up.

I like it!

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I think PJ really fucked up the game Saturday. But I'd love for Iowa to be able to get a QB like that.

Reaction score

Top 3? I would pick at least 6 Big Ten/BTW:biggrin: teams to beat them outright in a game played next Saturday. I would pick Michigan by double digits and I'm guessing they weren't even in the two ahead of them on your list.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
There is no denying that Fleck is a douche.

But he knows what he's doing and is a good coach. You're starting to see what the Big Ten money has done to programs like Minnesota and Purdue. Indiana might make it to this point down the line too. The conference is about as good as it's been in a long time.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score

How many times has Minnesota won 10 games in a season? Maybe a Maroney and Barber team? This team is in position to win the BTW. Discounting what he has done there is pretty stupid at this point.
Most of his best players are Kill/Claeys leftovers. They built their 9-1 record by beating shitty/wounded teams. If they played Iowa’s schedule they would have four losses. To overstate what he has done is head up your ass stupid.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Most of his best players are Kill/Claeys leftovers. They built their 9-1 record by beating shitty/wounded teams. If they played Iowa’s schedule they would have four losses. To overstate what he has done is head up your ass stupid.
What four losses are you coming up with?

Reaction score
I think PJ really fucked up the game Saturday. But I'd love for Iowa to be able to get a QB like that.
He almost ducked up the PSU game when he went conservative in the 4th quarter. Also, why didn’t he go with #17 more often in the red zone? We’re not as stout up front (DT) as in years past. That guy is a load

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
@ISU, Michigan, Wisconsin and?????

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Iowa State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and of course Iowa.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Not sure I've ever seen that reasoning before.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Not sure I've ever seen that reasoning before.
If they’re playing our schedule you have to, they otherwise only have 11 games or play themselves. Which in the latter scenario they would also have that loss...to themselves. So it only makes sense you have to throw Iowa in there.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Any info released on Toren Young being injured? He was a captain for the game and then didn't get a snap. Happy with Goodson's increased workload, of course, just odd that Toren didn't get a snap.

Reaction score
Any info released on Toren Young being injured? He was a captain for the game and then didn't get a snap. Happy with Goodson's increased workload, of course, just odd that Toren didn't get a snap.
Probably because he’s 3rd on the depth chart

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
How good is he without the retarded good WRs? His deep passes were all arm punts that his receivers beat Iowa’s DBs.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
How good is he without the retarded good WRs? His deep passes were all arm punts that his receivers beat Iowa’s DBs.
I have watched gopher games all season. Morgan throws a lot of 50/50 balls that his receivers haul in more often than not. Many of the throws are shitty, and the receivers save his bacon.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Any QB that has to check the sidelines with 6 seconds on the playclock so he gets to throw to a predetermined coach-in-the-pressbox spot on every play can GFH.

Read a defense & make progressions like our boy, Fat Nate.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Any QB that has to check the sidelines with 6 seconds on the playclock so he gets to throw to a predetermined coach-in-the-pressbox spot on every play can GFH.

It's super important against Iowa too. We're renowned for disguising coverages and mixing up looks.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

It's super important against Iowa too. We're renowned for disguising coverages and mixing up looks.
I think they’re looking for guidance.

“They haven’t done a fuckin thing different, what do we do?”

Bob

Reaction score
Trying to argue that the guy who lit us up for almost 400 yards and has a top ten passer rating nationally isn't actually that good because he doesn't play in a busted ass 1990s offense is some serious Stockholm syndrome.

Reaction score

"What is the last thing a gopher sees?"
"correct"
worthless rodents for $1000 Alex

douglasbader

Reaction score
He threw some pretty nice balls Saturday, especially with the pressure.
I thought so live, and also on tv. I also agree some of the long balls were garbage.
And some extremely well thrown balls were inexplicably dropped with absolutely zero interference from Iowa defenders.

And I hate to say it, but had those been caught, we would have lost.
It is almost like Iowa might have dropped some passes as well that prevented them from scoring....

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Trying to argue that the guy who lit us up for almost 400 yards and has a top ten passer rating nationally isn't actually that good because he doesn't play in a busted ass 1990s offense is some serious Stockholm syndrome.
Sure Bob