**Official Nebrantska vs. Iowa Football Thread - 12:00pm - Fox**

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Oh fuck you, dork. You and (insert name here) would get along great together.

Reactions: Jim

coff

Busker
Reaction score
NFL doesn't have anything to do with it. @MikeyJoe said he was a better college QB and you disagreed. You are wrong.

If you wanted to say CJ is a better NFL QB I'd agree with you, but that's not what's being debated here.
JFC. You are close to qualifying for your own charity.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Since Friday's game ended, Nebrantska has had 2 players quit the team and a recruit decommit. Speculation on the Husker board is that there will be several more players leave/decommit in the weeks ahead.
This includes all 4 guys they bought from the Miami area, right?

Reaction score
This includes all 4 guys they bought from the Miami area, right?
They've had 5 players from Florida in their freshman class quit:

Marcus Fleming - WR
Keyshawn Greene - LB
Ronald Delancy - DB
Jaiden Francois - DB
Henry Gray - DB

The latter 4 are all from the Miami area.

They had a lot of players in their 2020 class from warm weather states. Just wait until it gets REALLY cold in Lincoln. :roll:

douglasbader

Reaction score
Speaking of the transfer portal, was looking at the 247 portal link. Sort of an interesting read through as there are a lot of players (even after double checking on google) that transferred from Iowa and seem to have fallen out of football completely.

I know of a few early on in the Ferentz era, but has there really been anyone in the last decade that has transferred and gone to another Power 5 school and been worth a shit?

The only guys I can come up with are Maurice Fleming at West Virginia as a grad transfer and now Dillon Doyle at Baylor. Hard to count Doyle really as one though as those were extraordinary circumstances. DJ Johnson is at Purdue but doesn't seem to be making much of an impact there.

There are plenty of players that have transferred in and have been good, but very few that have gone the other way. Sort of shows that if a players is leaving Iowa, it is almost always because they aren't very good and either didn't develop because of a bad evaluation by the coaching staff or they didn't develop because they don't work hard.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I still don't get the Oliver Martin transfer to Nebrantska to be a walk-on. If you already supposedly don't really like football very much, why would you transfer somewhere that you were going to have to walk on? At least get your college paid for. It stinks of his daddy trying to get revenge on Iowa or something idiotic.

There had to be a boatload of teams that would have given him a scholarship and let him play. Going from Michigan to hometown Iowa City and then to Nebrantska as a walk on is just stupid.

Go to Northern Illinois for fuck's sake.

thrawn

Reaction score
Speaking of the transfer portal, was looking at the 247 portal link. Sort of an interesting read through as there are a lot of players (even after double checking on google) that transferred from Iowa and seem to have fallen out of football completely.

I know of a few early on in the Ferentz era, but has there really been anyone in the last decade that has transferred and gone to another Power 5 school and been worth a shit?

The only guys I can come up with are Maurice Fleming at West Virginia as a grad transfer and now Dillon Doyle at Baylor. Hard to count Doyle really as one though as those were extraordinary circumstances. DJ Johnson is at Purdue but doesn't seem to be making much of an impact there.

There are plenty of players that have transferred in and have been good, but very few that have gone the other way. Sort of shows that if a players is leaving Iowa, it is almost always because they aren't very good and either didn't develop because of a bad evaluation by the coaching staff or they didn't develop because they don't work hard.
We talked about this a bit with the Doyle stuff in the summer, and it’s a pretty meh list. In addition to the guys you mentioned I think the FBS guys were

Rudock (grad transfer QB)
Sokol (grad transfer QB)
Shimonek (decent at TT but not better than CJ)
Beutjer (lol)
Cleveland (big numbers at Houston)
Townsend (played a little on the Ray Rice Rutgers teams)
Willies (caught some passes as like the #5/6 WR at TT, short NFL career)
Moses (did well at Tulane, bumped around NFL a little)

Even most of the FCS guys didn‘t do much. Sapp made the NFL but he was a starter cut for arrests. Guys like McCall, Hampton, and Coker didn’t even finish out their careers I don’t think.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Whoops. Forgot to add Rudock as an obvious to that list.

Ultimately it all really shows that if you can't play or develop at Iowa, then you likely just aren't very good at football or are a head case. Not much evidence to show that Iowa is shitty to talent and plays others over them.

thrawn

Reaction score
my favourite was Brandon Wegher showing up Morningside at age 24 and becoming the Barry Sanders of NAIA

douglasbader

Reaction score
my favourite was Brandon Wegher showing up Morningside at age 24 and becoming the Barry Sanders of NAIA

It honestly is a great story. I sort of hope they look at NCAA eligibility some day to allow more cases like this at the FBS level. Sometimes people go through shit or run into tough situations and maybe it makes sense to allow them back in if they still have eligibility. The clock starting thing could use adjustment.

Reaction score
We talked about this a bit with the Doyle stuff in the summer, and it’s a pretty meh list. In addition to the guys you mentioned I think the FBS guys were

Rudock (grad transfer QB)
Sokol (grad transfer QB)
Shimonek (decent at TT but not better than CJ)
Beutjer (lol)
Cleveland (big numbers at Houston)
Townsend (played a little on the Ray Rice Rutgers teams)
Willies (caught some passes as like the #5/6 WR at TT, short NFL career)
Moses (did well at Tulane, bumped around NFL a little)

Even most of the FCS guys didn‘t do much. Sapp made the NFL but he was a starter cut for arrests. Guys like McCall, Hampton, and Coker didn’t even finish out their careers I don’t think.
Jewel Hampton finished out at Southern Illinois. He played 2 years there and I believe was all conference. He was on the 49ers active roster at some point as well.

thrawn

Reaction score
Jewel Hampton finished out at Southern Illinois. He played 2 years there and I believe was all conference. He was on the 49ers active roster at some point as well.
looks like he got newcomer of the year in his only season and then bumped around practice squads for a while. Slightly better than my memory but 4.9 YPC in FCS isn’t exactly tearing it up

thrawn

Reaction score
It honestly is a great story. I sort of hope they look at NCAA eligibility some day to allow more cases like this at the FBS level. Sometimes people go through shit or run into tough situations and maybe it makes sense to allow them back in if they still have eligibility. The clock starting thing could use adjustment.
If you still have amateurism rules I don’t see what the problem is. Now and then you’ll see the ex-baseball player or military guy playing at 25 and it’s not like it’s some huge advantage. No one is going to give up prime years to get jacked so they can come back at 24.

Reaction score
looks like he got newcomer of the year in his only season and then bumped around practice squads for a while. Slightly better than my memory but 4.9 YPC in FCS isn’t exactly tearing it up
Looks like he he was their offensive MVP as well. 1121 yards and 17 TDs is a decent number

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I still don't get the Oliver Martin transfer to Nebrantska to be a walk-on. If you already supposedly don't really like football very much, why would you transfer somewhere that you were going to have to walk on? At least get your college paid for. It stinks of his daddy trying to get revenge on Iowa or something idiotic.

There had to be a boatload of teams that would have given him a scholarship and let him play. Going from Michigan to hometown Iowa City and then to Nebrantska as a walk on is just stupid.

Go to Northern Illinois for fuck's sake.
It might be a compliance issue

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score

God I hated that dumb pud. He's gotta be working construction back in Sioux City with 5 kids by this point right?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I really wanted four years of other teams hating the white guy who would vault over piles at the goal line.
2012 was also a RB dumpster fire. Whegher and Hampton (along with Moses) were the biggest impact transfers of the Ferentz era.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I really wanted four years of other teams hating the white guy who would vault over piles at the goal line.
We got three years of Mark Weisman. Consolation prize.

Reactions: BBK

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
2012 was also a RB dumpster fire. Whegher and Hampton (along with Moses) were the biggest impact transfers of the Ferentz era.
Between this & you spelling Penix wrong in the other thread, the HALO elite is going to be in touch soon if you don't clean a few things up...

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Wegher was awesome. He’s a top 5 guy I wished could have worked out at Iowa.
I don't get the Wegher boner everyone had. Robinson averaged more yards per carry as a walk on. Seemed like every single iowan west of I35 wanted to suck his dick though.
He did have one timeless play, and he did have a knack for those goal line leaps. But he was dumb as fuck and squandered his shot.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I don't get the Wegher boner everyone had. Robinson averaged more yards per carry as a walk on. Seemed like every single iowan west of I35 wanted to suck his dick though.
He did have one timeless play, and he did have a knack for those goal line leaps. But he was dumb as fuck and squandered his shot.
He had the 50+ yard run for a TD that was called back on a bullshit hold against NW. He was a dumbfuck though no doubt about it.

Reaction score
He had the 50+ yard run for a TD that was called back on a bullshit hold against NW. He was a dumbfuck though no doubt about it.
What happened to his younger brother? If I remember right, he went to IMG and then maybe Purdue?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Robinson was a grey shirt, not a walk on.

They started Paki O’Meara in the UNI game and it almost cost them.