**Official Northern Illinois vs. Iowa Game Thread - 2:30pm - BTN**

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Listen to the first quarter on Northern Illinois radio. The announcer said that Fant was wide open on a deep pass but dropped it. Was it a poor throw or did he just drop it?
Drop, like others said, but if I recall he wasn’t wide open. I think he had a defender on him. Still a bad drop.
There was a late hand in the cookie jar but nothing a Consensus Preseason All American shouldn't be able to handle.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It was a clear drop on a perfect throw. Fant doesn’t have great hands, luckily for him his athleticism makes up for it. But some of his bobbles and drops are frustrating.
this

it was a flat out drop

Reaction score
That was probably Stanley’s best pass of the day too

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

He’s an interesting individual. I’ve known him for nearly 30 years...and I’ve literally never met an individual in my entire life more dedicated to having fun at all times.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-iowa-football-fans-turn-farming-combine-into-incredible-tailgate-machine/
combine -- or a large machine usually drawn by tractor to harvest crops --
What happens when you send a coastal city boy (probably) to do a story in Iowa...

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Does it do anything cool besides the dance floor? Or is it just a combine sitting there?

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
It combines dancing with tailgating

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
That combine is sick.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Why are some of you angry about the combine? That’s a decent way to party.

Reaction score
Why are some of you angry about the combine? That’s a decent way to party.
I liked it because it brought back some good memories. I spent many fall afternoons and evenings with my grandpa(RIP) in a very similar IH combine.

I'm not sure on the logistics of getting it to Kinnick every week, but I guess that's their problem.

Glen

Administrator
Reaction score
Its a nice rig, but the country music at level 11 all day, that can fuck right off.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
As a kid Dad was in the combine every Saturday and I or my brother or both were in tractors either plowing (later replaced with disk ripping) or hauling grain to home to unload. I was 10 years old and driving $100,000 worth of equipment and grain down the road.

We listened to Ron Gondor and Iowa far more than we saw them on TV and never in person. Fond memories of growing up in Northeast Iowa. As a kid I didn't care for it that much but years later the memories were good and I miss it. If I had to choose again I should have followed my dad's footsteps.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
As a kid Dad was in the combine every Saturday and I or my brother or both were in tractors either plowing (later replaced with disk ripping) or hauling grain to home to unload. I was 10 years old and driving $100,000 worth of equipment and grain down the road.

We listened to Ron Gondor and Iowa far more than we saw them on TV and never in person. Fond memories of growing up in Northeast Iowa. As a kid I didn't care for it that much but years later the memories were good and I miss it. If I had to choose again I should have followed my dad's footsteps.
My brother went home a few years ago to farm. I’m jealous of him being able to work with the old man while he’s still around and the relationship they are building. And the asshats fishing or golfing while I’m at work.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Being in the tractor on a beautiful fall Saturday listening to pregame, game, postgame is an experience all Iowans should experience.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Being in the tractor on a beautiful fall Saturday listening to pregame, game, postgame is an experience all Iowans should experience.
Yeah, I'd rather not. I would rather not be in a tractor, I'd rather watch the Hawkeyes with my eyes, and I'd rather have some drinks while doing so.

But maybe being at work when the Hawks are on is good too?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I absolutely love listening to games on the radio doing something outside. I wish I didn’t have to miss being at the game to do it.

Bob

Reaction score
I cannot believe anyone would willingly choose to experience the game through Gary Dolphin's work

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I cannot believe anyone would willingly choose to experience the game through Gary Dolphin's work
I always roll my eyes at people who bitch about Dolph as I love the nostalgia of listening to the radio and think he actually does a better job than most give him credit for, but this past weekend I had to listen to the first part of the game on the radio and he was awful.

Bob

Reaction score
He's not nearly as bad with football as he is at calling basketball but he's still really bad

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Podolak is still great to listen to though. He more than makes up for Dolph.

Don’t get me wrong I prefer to watch the game, but as I’ve noticed my dad starting to age a little more I can sacrifice drinking and going to the games to spend more time with him even if that means I have to listen to Dolph describe the Case IH Red Zone. (Yes he farms, this might be his last year and you can tell he’s really struggling with it)

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I listen to NFL games I don’t care about while working in the yard and that’s nice. Hawks are always in person or on TV if at all possible

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
I always roll my eyes at people who bitch about Dolph as I love the nostalgia of listening to the radio and think he actually does a better job than most give him credit for, but this past weekend I had to listen to the first part of the game on the radio and he was awful.
So, yeah, he's shitty.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Just watched the BTN highlights from the game. Jones was really really bad. On their second drive they had a long run because Jones wasn’t even close to where he should have been. No idea what he was looking at. Then on their touchdown play in the 4th quarter him and Geno Stone were running 2 completely different defenses.

Lol at Brady Ross on Toren Young’s long run. I’m still laughing.

Reaction score
Finally getting a chance to watch my DVR. The pick by Hooker was really fucking good. Miles Taylor wouldn't make this play 1 time out of 100.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Finally getting a chance to watch my DVR. The pick by Hooker was really fucking good. Miles Taylor wouldn't make this play 1 time out of 100.
Nice awareness and catch, but that was a horrible read and underthrow.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Thankfully your mom doesn’t remember how bad he is

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
She's an Iowa State grad, thankfully she doesn't remember that either.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
She's an Iowa State grad, thankfully she doesn't remember that either.
:icon_biggrin:

I love you doug

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Nice awareness and catch, but that was a horrible read and underthrow.
Trust me when I say I'm glad Hooker can make a play on a bad read and underthrow by a QB getting pressured.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

Don’t get me wrong I prefer to watch the game, but as I’ve noticed my dad starting to age a little more I can sacrifice drinking and going to the games to spend more time with him even if that means I have to listen to Dolph describe the Case IH Red Zone. (Yes he farms, this might be his last year and you can tell he’s really struggling with it)
If he’s done this year, get season tickets for next year. You’ll be the greatest son.

CamelTones

Reaction score

If he’s done this year, get season tickets for next year. You’ll be the greatest son.
He doesn’t watch sports.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I have good memories of this as well. But, this was also back in the day when not all the games were televised.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score

He doesn’t watch sports.
What's that got to do with anything? My dad doesn't watch sports other than Iowa football either, and he couldn't tell you the difference between a 4-3 and a Beebs 69. We still love going to games together. Some of my favorite memories are with my dad using probably-stolen tickets.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-quick-look-at-the-2019-nfl-draft-class-offensive-linemen-in-pass-protection

1. Max Scharping, Northern Illinois – 99.2
The face of pass protection among 2019 draft class tackles, Scharping ranked third in pass-blocking efficiency in 2015 (97.1), first in PBE in 2016 (98.9) and capped that by finishing first again in 2017 among his classmates. He allowed just four pressures a season ago, across 459 snaps in pass protection. The senior has allowed just 21 total QB pressures during his career at NIU on a whopping 1,377 pass-blocking snaps. Scharping has not allowed a sack since the Huskies bowl game against Boise State in 2015.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-quick-look-at-the-2019-nfl-draft-class-offensive-linemen-in-pass-protection

The face of pass protection among 2019 draft class tackles, Scharping ranked third in pass-blocking efficiency in 2015 (97.1), first in PBE in 2016 (98.9) and capped that by finishing first again in 2017 among his classmates. He allowed just four pressures a season ago, across 459 snaps in pass protection. The senior has allowed just 21 total QB pressures during his career at NIU on a whopping 1,377 pass-blocking snaps. Scharping has not allowed a sack since the Huskies bowl game against Boise State in 2015.
Impressive game by AJ.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score

Oh, #73 in these videos: