**Official Northwestern vs. Iowa Football - 2:30pm - ESPN**

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You're just fucking wrong on something, never did either.

I know a spazz when I see one, and you are a billion times the spazz. Don't ever lecture someone else on it, especially in your case.
Denying being one is saying you aren't one there Dougie. You are a spaz in chat, it's fine. Like someone said, its what chat is for.

From one spaz to another, shut the fuck up.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Denying being one is saying you aren't one there Dougie. You are a spaz in chat, it's fine. Like someone said, its what chat is for.

From one spaz to another, shut the fuck up.
I'm haven't spazzed in chat for years, which you would know if you were ever in there.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about, WAP, so you can be the one to shut the fuck up.

If you want, let's quit boring the board with this and next time I am back in Muscatine we can meet down at the Red Brick Building or the Gazebo at Weed Park and I'll smash your ugly fat face in!!!!!!!

Charles

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm haven't spazzed in chat for years, which you would know if you were ever in there.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about, WAP, so you can be the one to shut the fuck up.

If you want, let's quit boring the board with this and next time I am back in Muscatine we can meet down at the Red Brick Building or the Gazebo at Weed Park and I'll smash your ugly fat face in!!!!!!!
I prefer the Red Brick Building so we can get Sal's afterwards. I'll let you know.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
You can make stats say about anything you want. So in that time frame we were in the bottom of the big10 (not sure if this auto corrects) in scoring. But yet we also had a pretty high W/L ratio.

Iowa's MO for a long time was running and ball control. Keep the ball out of the opponents hands and keep the defense fresh with time of possession favor. With a good D you don't have to score a ton of points to win the game. We're not playing a Big 12 Okie/Okie light game here.
even nick saban said this is a dumb strategy now days. All the rules favor the offense. Having a poor offense is a CHOICE.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa doesn’t send their offense out there to score because they don’t want points.

Or maybe they choose to play a style that limits possessions. Saban can play whatever style he wants because he has access to way more talent than Iowa does. Purdue was playing the exact style people are talking about and ended up with 100 less yards and a whole 4 more points.

The only thing Iowa needs to change is their approach to RPOs. The rules favor them, so you should take advantage of them.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Iowa plays slow and methodical on purpose is not really a reason why on a per play basis they're a mediocre offense most years. Even if you're playing a deliberate style that attempts to limit mistakes and therefore decreases your total number of yards and points in a game, that really shouldn't impact your efficiency.

Reaction score
Gotta get a lead of a couple of TDs or more going into the 4th quarter. Anything close and it's Fitz's ballgame. The Iowa defense chases Ramsey around the field for 3 quarters and then they turn it over to the RB who pounded them silly as a true freshman.

#7 has to hit people downfield. They're not going to beat Pat's boys in the phone booth.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Northwestern won 3 games last year, but Iowa needs to be at least +2 in turnovers and up by at least 2 TDS to have a chance.
Depends on how much big red Kurt goes through.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Everything goes more smoothly at home this week. They don’t turn it over, they cut the penalties in half and they win the game without much drama.

Iowa 27
Northwestern 17

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Iowa plays slow and methodical on purpose is not really a reason why on a per play basis they're a mediocre offense most years. Even if you're playing a deliberate style that attempts to limit mistakes and therefore decreases your total number of yards and points in a game, that really shouldn't impact your efficiency.
but their efficiency is typically better ranked than offensive output. And because of the nature of football, ppg is affected by the timing of when a play works. Iowa seems to have some playcalling issues when it comes to finishing drives, because I don’t think you can just blame it on execution at this point.

thrawn

Reaction score
but their efficiency is typically better ranked than offensive output. And because of the nature of football, ppg is affected by the timing of when a play works. Iowa seems to have some playcalling issues when it comes to finishing drives, because I don’t think you can just blame it on execution at this point.
YPP is tempo free (other than maybe being skewed at the extremes by situational play calling)

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
YPP is tempo free (other than maybe being skewed at the extremes by situational play calling)
If you want to look at it that simply, sure. But that’s not all that matters.

if you have lower YPP but are efficient in sustaining drives and scoring, your defense benefits in multiple ways as well. That’s exactly what iowa is trying to accomplish.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
This is pretty close to how I feel. They don’t need wholesale changes but they can absolutely find a way to score more when the opportunities are there. If there are always execution problems maybe it is a teaching issue.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Basically I think efficiency analysis is not nearly as useful in football as it in hoops. Less data and more contingencies.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
That’s what efficiency means. You just repeated my post back at me. I know why their points per game is low. That’s not the same reason their yards per play is low, particularly in the run game.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
That’s what efficiency means. You just repeated my post back at me. I know why their points per game is low. That’s not the same reason their yards per play is low, particularly in the run game.
given kirks comments about their offensive philosophy, do you think they are focused on YPP? I don’t. They are way more worries about TOP.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify, what efficiency metrics do you typically look at for college football?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
No one is trying to run for 4 yards instead of 5 so they can have a higher TOP. Stop it.
no one is saying that. But if it keeps the defense off the field and results in a touchdown, 4 ypp is adequate. I mean Kirk basically says that the offense protects the defense.

Regardless, Iowa’s offensive efficiency rank per espn has been higher than their offensive PPG rank every year since Brian took over, which was my point.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
no one is saying that. But if it keeps the defense off the field and results in a touchdown, 4 ypp is adequate. I mean Kirk basically says that the offense protects the defense.

Regardless, Iowa’s offensive efficiency rank per espn has been higher than their offensive PPG rank every year since Brian took over, which was my point.
That was also my fucking point. The tweet said they were third worse in points and people pointed to style in defense. My point is that even given their style their efficiency is still mediocre.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
That was also my fucking point. The tweet said they were third worse in points and people pointed to style in defense. My point is that even given their style their efficiency is still mediocre.
Per espn, 5th, 5th, and 7th in the I am a giant douche under Brian

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
There’s no rhyme or reason on the play calling. It seems to be complete randomness. Plays that work he often doesn’t come back to or play off of.
Basically a play sheet that he throws a dart at for each play.

CamelTones

Reaction score
There’s no rhyme or reason on the play calling. It seems to be complete randomness. Plays that work he often doesn’t come back to or play off of.
Basically a play sheet that he throws a dart at for each play.
What? Which plays are we talking about? Run plays? Specific pass plays? Is the coverage the same on the pass plays? Did the defense adjust at all?

CamelTones

Reaction score
Also, we really don't know what the red zone offense looks like this year. The 2 times they didn't score a touchdown, one was 1st and goal with 10 seconds left in the half, the other they fumbled the ball at the 10. The other 2 times they scored touchdowns.

coff

Busker
Reaction score

While that might be entertaining, wouldn't it also constitute abuse of the elderly and mentally disabled?

Reaction score
Northwestern won 3 games last year, but Iowa needs to be at least +2 in turnovers and up by at least 2 TDS to have a chance.
Well... Fitz has completely owned Iowa in the single digit, ball control games. The only time he didn't- 2013- they were pushing around a tired Iowa defense when their QB went down. They ended up fumbling a pitch with 3 minutes left and we won in OT.

Last year... they had possibly the worst quarterbacking in the country. This year they have a good one.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Well... Fitz has completely owned Iowa in the single digit, ball control games. The only time he didn't- 2013- they were pushing around a tired Iowa defense when their QB went down. They ended up fumbling a pitch with 3 minutes left and we won in OT.

Last year... they had possibly the worst quarterbacking in the country. This year they have a good one.
Yeah I guess the notion that everything has to fall perfectly in order for iowa to even have a chance against mighty NW was his point.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It seems that other coaches do a much better job of exploiting match ups than Iowa does. I don’t know how to quantify this observation but thinking to Purdue going after the weak defensive back time after time. It doesn’t seem like Iowa keeps doing shit that works other than the QB sneak in the Holiday Bowl.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
It seems that other coaches do a much better job of exploiting match ups than Iowa does. I don’t know how to quantify this observation but thinking to Purdue going after the weak defensive back time after time. It doesn’t seem like Iowa keeps doing shit that works other than the QB sneak in the Holiday Bowl.
I have a feeling this is one of those "seems like" things. I mean, I watch a game and I think I might agree with you. But I don't really know what the fuck I'm watching.

Shawneemicks

Reaction score
Yeah I guess the notion that everything has to fall perfectly in order for iowa to even have a chance against mighty NW was his point.
Not everything, just +2 in turnovers.

HiG 2.0

DolphinAngerHawk
Reaction score
No shit.

I barely even chatted during the game. Made fun of some freaking out after a few plays, told Phil Parker to fuck off a few times. Other than that, didn't post much because Herbie2 is always going off the internal live press box score and is 5-7 seconds ahead even if you have normal cable, but now with YouTubeTV he is like 15+ seconds ahead.

He was sometimes a full play or two ahead. Mikey was a few seconds behind, but still nowhere close to as quick as Herbie.
That's why that SOB was so far ahead. I thought maybe he has been blowing his cable guy.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Worst thing about YouTubeTV. If a big play or bad play happen, my phone will buzz with a text message right as Iowa is about to snap the ball.

I usually have to listen to a couple games a year. It's fun to be ahead of chat.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is so bad at exploiting match ups that in 13 match ups last year they went 10-3.

The year before in 13 of them they went 9-4.