**Official Northwestern vs. Iowa Football - 2:30pm - ESPN**

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
"I don't think he's a pants shitter, he just has no touch and is inaccurate."

In Fossilhawk-world, having no touch and being inaccurate falls under the category of pants-shitting. Thus, you said "He's not a pants-shitter, he's just a pants-shitter." You repeated yourself. Thus, I said you repeated yourself.

Regardless, I think we can both agree that Petras sucks.
I didn’t repeat myself at all. He can throw a simple screen pass too hard and inaccurate. That’s not pants shitting.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Iowa fan really loves to call QBs pants shitters. It’s pretty much the default if someone isn’t good.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Did Iowa attempt a single downfield pass?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I asked this earlier, but are these guys being coached to throw way too hard?

I'm guessing it is coincidence, but the last 3 QB's that O'Queef has coached at Iowa have all been overthrowers.

Vandenturd would scream bullets. Nate would do it way too often and now Petras does it.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

I'm guessing it is coincidence, but the last 3 QB's that O'Queef has coached at Iowa have all been overthrowers.

Vandenturd would scream bullets. Nate would do it way too often and now Petras does it.
I suspect they are coached that overthrow is better. But even if that’s not the case they should be getting coached that they have really good receivers and get it within a 6 yard circle of them and they’ll make a play.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score

There was once an argument on this interweb where some people were saying it was good that Nate overthrew receivers, because it prevented the throws from being intercepted.

I countered that that argument was fucking stupid, because “good” would be if he threw it the distance equal to where the receivers were standing.

No minds were changed.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
In no way is this a defense of throwing it 50 times, but let's not act like the running game was anything special today either.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I would prefer to not be reminded of all the terrible throws, thank you.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm surprised a bit, but we really shouldn't be. Iowa has started the season losing 2 games they essentially were a play away from winning.

The margin of error with how Iowa plays is razor thin most years even with good talent, and this year it seems that they have talent but not quite enough of it or what they have is inexperienced in key positions.

The front 7 on defense has 2 good or ready players. Gholston is good and Nixon is a stud. The DB's are fine. The rest are overmatched or not there yet.

The offense is another story. I don't know what the problem or the fix is there other than to abandon the scheme and start over. I am still just fucking furious at the short side zone run on 2nd and 1 when they were marching down the field to win the game.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Here it is:

douglasbader said:
wondergrape said:
Hey dipshit, only if you do it on purpose.
There have been multiple interviews where he said that he was missing deep essentially on purpose throughout the first half of the year. He was being safe and throwing them so either the receiver would catch them or nobody would. The second part of the year he was much more accurate.
Missing deep on purpose. I like Stanley, but if you think that is a legit argument in his favor you are fucking delusional.
It is better than an under throw you fucking loser Raiders fan. I didn't make it up, they talked about it multiple times. If he kept doing that as the season wore on, you would have a point, but he corrected it.

Fuck off.

douglasbader

Reaction score
There was once an argument on this interweb where some people were saying it was good that Nate overthrew receivers, because it prevented the throws from being intercepted.

I countered that that argument was fucking stupid, because “good” would be if he threw it the distance equal to where the receivers were standing.

No minds were changed.
That wasn't the argument.

The argument was that if you were going to miss a deep throw, best to miss it long.

Not a single person alive thinks it is a good thing to overthrow a receiver as you are putting it.

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
Dougie: We suck

That took a lot less typing.

CamelTones

Reaction score
In no way is this a defense of throwing it 50 times, but let's not act like the running game was anything special today either.
Kinda how I feel about it. We can say we want run plays, but when half of them are outside zone to the short side of the field, I’d rather have the incompletion.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here it is:
Holy shit you are retarded if you think "on purpose" meant the intention was to run plays and overthrow the receivers.

The conversation and quotes were saying if you are going to throw deep, then don't underthrow it. Lay it out there where only your guy is going to have a chance to catch it.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Holy shit you are retarded if you think "on purpose" meant the intention was to run plays and overthrow the receivers.

The conversation and quotes were saying if you are going to throw deep, then don't underthrow it. Lay it out there where only your guy is going to have a chance to catch it.
If he kept doing that as the season wore on, you would have a point
—Doug

What if he kept doing it for his whole career? Would I still have a point?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Dougie: We suck

That took a lot less typing.
I don't know if Iowa "sucks" yet. More likely they are just mediocre this year.

It isn't like they got smoked by a couple of shit teams. They lost coin flip games with teams that happen to be a couple of the only 2-0 teams in the Big Ten.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If he kept doing that as the season wore on, you would have a point
—Doug
What if he kept doing it for his whole career? Would I still have a point?
You're a fucking IDIOT if you think that the discussion or implication that he was purposely overthrowing his guys with the goal of them not catching it.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
You're a fucking IDIOT if you think that the discussion or implication that he was purposely overthrowing his guys with the goal of them not catching it.
You said it:

There have been multiple interviews where he said that he was missing deep essentially on purpose
Now you could have said “he’s overthrowing because he’s not accurate to hit a receiver deep on target with any consistency” but that’s not what you said.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Again, if Iowa is going to have a shit the bed year, then this is the year to do it. Nobody will fucking care or remember about this season and even fewer will think it is anything more than an exhibition.

Iowa still had a better weekend than multiple other Big Ten teams.

Wisconsin and Nebrantska didn't get to play, Michigan lost and they want Harbaugh gone and Minnesota was favored to win the West and is now 0-2 after getting kicked in the balls by Maryland.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
I don't know if Iowa "sucks" yet. More likely they are just mediocre this year.

It isn't like they got smoked by a couple of shit teams. They lost coin flip games with teams that happen to be a couple of the only 2-0 teams in the Big Ten.
Maybe they're only 2-0 teams because they both got to play Iowa. Maryland and Illinois aren't exactly good either.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You said it:

Now you could have said “he’s overthrowing because he’s not accurate to hit a receiver deep on target with any consistency” but that’s not what you said.
For fuck's sake. The conversation was that when he throws deep he is throwing it with enough juice that either his guy gets it or nobody is going to get it. I think even the dumbest of people would get that.

This isn't a hard conversation of concept, but you are hilariously trying to make it literal, which is absurd.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Maybe they're only 2-0 teams because they both got to play Iowa. Maryland and Illinois aren't exactly good either.
The point is that I think Iowa is mediocre, not "sucks". There also is really no way to know how good or bad anyone is yet besides maybe Illinois.

Good luck figuring anything out about most teams this year. Maryland got smoked by Northwestern and then they beat Minnesota.

Minnesota got smoked by Michigan.

Michigan State got smoked by Rutgers.

Michigan State played great and beat Michigan in Ann Arbor today.

Good luck!

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
For fuck's sake. The conversation was that when he throws deep he is throwing it with enough juice that either his guy gets it or nobody is going to get it. I think even the dumbest of people would get that.

This isn't a hard conversation of concept, but you are hilariously trying to make it literal, which is absurd.
Well if you didn’t mean for the words you said to be literal, use different words.
Of course he wasn’t trying to throw incomplete passes. He was trying to complete them, he was just physically unable to put the touch needed on deep balls consistently.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Well if you didn’t mean for the words you said to be literal, use different words.
Of course he wasn’t trying to throw incomplete passes. He was trying to complete them, he was just physically unable to put the touch needed on deep balls consistently.
Right, which is why I said if he is inaccurate it's good that he is inaccurate long instead of short.

Pretty simple concept in which you somehow interpreted that I or anyone thought it was good that he overthrows his receivers.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Kinda how I feel about it. We can say we want run plays, but when half of them are outside zone to the short side of the field, I’d rather have the incompletion.
Where in the fuck are the WR runs? They ran some counter but not much up the middle. I was told they would look at the run game this offseason, but it doesn’t look like it. They still do very little off of the outside zone play.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Dayvion Nixon is the best defensive tackle since?

No way he doesn’t go pro after this year.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
The offensive problems begin and end with Petras, guys.

He has constant happy feet and can't set on a throw to save his life. As a result he overthrows absolutely fucking everything except screens, which he makes guys come back for.

All his picks were basically high fastball misses, and he can't make a throw past ten yards to save his life. He's Right-handed Hippie Jake Christensen, and I hope to God we have a Stanzi somewhere in the room.

Stanley pissed me off just as much as anyone here, but Petras is a significant downgrade and is pants-shitting trash. BDN would have us at 2-0 and y'all know it.
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz has a defensive coordinators personality, not an offensive coordinator personality. Good offensive coordinators, Bill Snyder, are more like Professor types, not getting in your face yell and scream types. If a quarterback i's lacking confidence, Brian is the last guy in the world you want coaching him