**Official Northwestern vs. Iowa Football - 2:30pm - ESPN**

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
The point is that I think Iowa is mediocre, not "sucks". There also is really no way to know how good or bad anyone is yet besides maybe Illinois.

Good luck figuring anything out about most teams this year. Maryland got smoked by Northwestern and then they beat Minnesota.

Minnesota got smoked by Michigan.

Michigan State got smoked by Rutgers.

Michigan State played great and beat Michigan in Ann Arbor today.

Good luck!
I agree with all of that. They're going to end up in the middle of the pack. It sucks that it's going to be another one of those years, instead of a really good one. Watching a middling Iowa team for a full season is about as satisfying as a dry hand job. You can find some good in it, but it's painful.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz has a defensive coordinators personality, not an offensive coordinator personality. Good offensive coordinators, Bill Snyder, are more like Professor types, not getting in your face yell and scream types. If a quarterback i's lacking confidence, Brian is the last guy in the world you want coaching him
He seemed to be pretty calm today actually. Not saying he called a good game (a couple good calls but overall it was bad) but he seems to be trying to coach the kid up.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
He seemed to be pretty calm today actually. Not saying he called a good game (a couple good calls but overall it was bad) but he seems to be trying to coach the kid up.
well, its not working. were you at the game? dont recall them showing Brian much on camera

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
It put them up by three scores. I didn't hate it at the time.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Yep I’m not saying it’s working. But the kid HAS only played 2 games.
I told monster after watching Jake C in person one time, vs N Illinois at soldier that Jake wasnt good. Given this staffs history of not developing qbs, Im not ready to say Petras sucks but theres no reason for optimism. They desperately need a qb coach. hell the first thing someone did to Nate after college to prepare him for the draft was to change his throwing motion.

Maybe its just the reality of the staff reaping what they sowed.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I told monster after watching Jake C in person one time, vs N Illinois at soldier that Jake wasnt good. Given this staffs history of not developing qbs, Im not ready to say Petras sucks but theres no reason for optimism. They desperately need a qb coach. hell the first thing someone did to Nate after college to prepare him for the draft was to change his throwing motion.

Maybe its just the reality of the staff reaping what they sowed.
If we pass the season's halfway point, and Petras has shown no signs of improvement whatsoever (let's face it, he's really not very good right now), then I would have no problem with giving someone else a chance.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
If we pass the season's halfway point, and Petras has shown no signs of improvement whatsoever (let's face it, he's really not very good right now), then I would have no problem with giving someone else a chance.
I'm good with giving someone else a chance in-game. Petras wasn't going to lead them on a game-winning drive.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
If you have confidence in your defense, you go for it. Miss, and you are in great position to either get a safety, or get the ball back in Northwestern territory and possibly in field goal position.

If you don't have confidence in your defense, you go for it because touchdowns are so much more important than field goals if your defense sucks.

In short, you need to go for it unless it is right before the half, when getting the ball back in great position isn't an option.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I definitely don’t think Petras looked good, but I didn’t see a ton of separation from the WRs either which is a disappointment. There was some that were missed, but seemingly none when it mattered.
Of course not. You make sure you get points there.
The 3rd and 2 play call was the problem. Two sneaks to get two yards and go up 21-0.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I have had to work during the games the last two weeks but have had the game on the second TV so haven't been focusing on it. But every time I look at the game, Nixon is making a play. He seems to be the lone guy busting his ass the times I have watched.

thrawn

Reaction score
They shouldn’t have kicked up 14, but Kirk is actually pretty aggressive on 4th down relative to the average coach so I’m not particularly aggrieved by it.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I liked when both announcers said the refs missed the obvious false start on Iowa even though anyone with half a brain knew it was a formation shift and clearly offsides on Northwestern plus this is a really long sentence so I’m just going to keep it going and say how fucking lame Saturday nights are after a goddamn loss.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
They shouldn’t have kicked up 14, but Kirk is actually pretty aggressive on 4th down relative to the average coach so I’m not particularly aggrieved by it.
I was pleasantly surprised by their 4th down sneaks in Iowa territory today. 10 or 20 years ago, those would have been automatic punts for Iowa.

Reaction score
There is so much football stupidity based on nonsense phrases.
Just have to make sure you get points there. wisdom from when football began

Touchdowns are points if I understand the rules of football

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I definitely don’t think Petras looked good, but I didn’t see a ton of separation from the WRs either which is a disappointment. There was some that were missed, but seemingly none when it mattered.

The 3rd and 2 play call was the problem. Two sneaks to get two yards and go up 21-0.
Beyer was wide open. Unfortunately no one blocked the guy on the outside.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Kirk said this after the game. What the hell is he talking about?

We have an unusual week, a disrupted week coming up, so it's the first time for us, as every team faces, but it'll pose some unique challenges and we're going to have to be sure that we handle that well because we certainly have a lot of improvement to make, and that's got to be our focus. But we're going to have to handle the week on top of it.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
That sounds ominous.

Edit: That doesn't sound as bad.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I actually blame COVID for the second-half collapse. No way that happens if the band gets to play their Thriller halftime show.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
I agree with all of that. They're going to end up in the middle of the pack. It sucks that it's going to be another one of those years, instead of a really good one. Watching a middling Iowa team for a full season is about as satisfying as a dry hand job. You can find some good in it, but it's painful.
"Middle of the pack" seems optimistic at this point.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
After seeing Iowa last week, most of you predicted an Iowa win today. Of course I didn’t due to having an ounce of common sense.

Iowa has the inability to compensate for poor line play. Outside of a couple of guys, the lines are shitty to average.

In modern day college football, guys that can’t run aren’t viable. Nate looked like Barry Sanders compared to big Spence. Maybe there was a reason the big boys weren’t hot for Petras?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
The problem with Iowa is what do they do really well? Punting and place kicking, that's about it.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
But also against two teams who weren't supposed to be that good.