**Official Northwestern vs. Iowa Football - 2:30pm - ESPN**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is having a down worthless year. Oh no!!!!!!!!

Penn State is 0-2
Minnesota is 0-2
MichiganFan wants to murder Harbaugh
Wisconsin spent last weekend making out with each other
Nebrantska got blown the fuck out and is trying to play FBS schools and praying they can get out of the Big Ten.

Iowa is having like the 6th worst season so far. Calm down.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I now hate watching Zach Wilson thanks to the reminder that he was on his way to visit Iowa when Petras committed and we told him to get lost.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
In my adult life I’d say there’s been about 3 games I didn’t think Iowa had any chance in winning. 2012 @Michigan, 2016 vs Michigan and 2017 vs Ohio State.

Mocking someone for predicting Iowa to win is kinda dumb. They lost by 1 point.

Reaction score
I thought he was unfairly criticized last week but Brian never got any rhythm today. Exacerbated by a couple whiffs in the run game and Petras' inconsistency but obviously 50:23 is not what they want, especially in those circumstances. It's a cliche, buzzword type thing but they really do feel caught in between what they want to be. QB with a big arm, average mobility, lot of weapons on the outside but he's inexperienced and erratic. Going to need to have more success in the shotgun run game and PA with heavier personnel under center.

Petras was substantially worse than last week. Protection was better than he made it look. He was bailing the pocket for no reason, especially in the 2nd half. I certainly wouldn't bail on him right now given that the competition apparently wasn't ever close. Has the tools and leadership, hopefully he settles down and improves. I'm not sure he's the guy long term like I'd hoped though.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
What will the narrative be next week?

No one knows?!?!?!

douglasbader

Reaction score
I thought he was unfairly criticized last week but Brian never got any rhythm today. Exacerbated by a couple whiffs in the run game and Petras' inconsistency but obviously 50:23 is not what they want, especially in those circumstances. It's a cliche, buzzword type thing but they really do feel caught in between what they want to be. QB with a big arm, average mobility, lot of weapons on the outside but he's inexperienced and erratic. Going to need to have more success in the shotgun run game and PA with heavier personnel under center.

Petras was substantially worse than last week. Protection was better than he made it look. He was bailing the pocket for no reason, especially in the 2nd half. I certainly wouldn't bail on him right now given that the competition apparently wasn't ever close. Has the tools and leadership, hopefully he settles down and improves. I'm not sure he's the guy long term like I'd hoped though.
Brian has the feel of a guy that people tell him he needs to fix some things so he begrudgingly spends some time studying other offenses in the summer and says a few right things and then when the season starts he calls what he knows.

That seems to be a lot of pass plays that don't work and some token running plays he studied but ultimately reverts back to being comfortable.

Reaction score
I thought that block in the back call was really weak and that was a huge call. Ended up being a 25+ yard swing and they just don't have the margin for error right now on stuff like that or the mistakes last week. The 2nd and 1 stretch call wasn't ideal but 3rd and 4 shouldn't be insurmountable. Bad decision and bad ball followed.

douglasbader

Reaction score
My Dad made a comment during the game that Stanley and Petras are the same but opposite.

Both have a huge arm and talent, but one of them seems to operate great when things are slowed down and he can think and the other is best when he can't think.

Sort of accurate.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I thought that block in the back call was really weak and that was a huge call. Ended up being a 25+ yard swing and they just don't have the margin for error right now on stuff like that or the mistakes last week. The 2nd and 1 stretch call wasn't ideal but 3rd and 4 shouldn't be insurmountable. Bad decision and bad ball followed.
The block in the back considering what the refs missed as blatant holds so many times is a joke.

Reaction score
Brian has the feel of a guy that people tell him he needs to fix some things so he begrudgingly spends some time studying other offenses in the summer and says a few right things and then when the season starts he calls what he knows.

That seems to be a lot of pass plays that don't work and some token running plays he studied but ultimately reverts back to being comfortable.
Kirk was asked about the lack of motion and misdirection they had in the run game last week and said something along the lines of they didn't think it was going to be effective with the opponent today. Given their defense, that may be fair. Mostly zone defense that just bumped, you're not going to get some of the increased angles or misalignment like last week.

Ultimately if that's the case they've gotta get more out of the PA and screen game to keep teams honest and be able to run better out of spread stuff and pass better out of heavy. 50 to 23 is just crazy, even if you account for 8-10 or so attempts late given the situation.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Kirk was asked about the lack of motion and misdirection they had in the run game last week and said something along the lines of they didn't think it was going to be effective with the opponent today. Given their defense, that may be fair. Mostly zone defense that just bumped, you're not going to get some of the increased angles or misalignment like last week.

Ultimately if that's the case they've gotta get more out of the PA and screen game to keep teams honest and be able to run better out of spread stuff and pass better out of heavy. 50 to 23 is just crazy, even if you account for 8-10 or so attempts late given the situation.
Iowa is a development program. They need time.

- No Spring Ball
- Distraction of Doyle/Race stuff
- Limited summer program
- No fall camp
- Limited re-start to a shortened season
- No warm up games

Ideally, the 2020 Iowa Hawkeyes Football team would have had these kinks worked out against a couple of shit teams before getting Iowa State at home. Then another game and then Minnesota.

It doesn't matter, but they needed a regular schedule this year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

This is how I feel. It’s like they know they have talent and should air it out yet want to be this physical team that runs the ball against any defensive front. By doing this they’re putting a player on the field (Beyer) over a more naturally gifted pass catcher.

They are trying to be more creative by running out of shotgun and doing wildcat stuff but it just doesn’t look natural. They either need to fully embrace a new age offense or go back to what they were under O’Keefe.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is how I feel. It’s like they know they have talent and should air it out yet want to be this physical team that runs the ball against any defensive front. By doing this they’re putting a player on the field (Beyer) over a more naturally gifted pass catcher.

They are trying to be more creative by running out of shotgun and doing wildcat stuff but it just doesn’t look natural. They either need to fully embrace a new age offense or go back to what they were under O’Keefe.
Agree with this. Either get with a modern 2020 style or get in the I-Form and buttfuck people.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Petras was substantially worse than last week. Protection was better than he made it look. He was bailing the pocket for no reason, especially in the 2nd half. I certainly wouldn't bail on him right now given that the competition apparently wasn't ever close.
I was thinking the same. This got called so early that I assume it's not even close. And it's not like Ferentz doesn’t have a history of being willing to have a QB competition.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
I took it as a good sign of how excited they were, but it must be that the other guys really sucked.
The Colorado kid sucks and is a midget.

It's either Petras or Hogan.

They aren't giving up on Petras until at least next year.

Reaction score
The Colorado kid sucks and is a midget.

It's either Petras or Hogan.

They aren't giving up on Petras until at least next year.
And there's no way you can expect Hogan to be close to ready this year given the offseason and that the plan the entire way (from both sides) was for him to redshirt.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Maybe also don't baby Petras. I get he doesn't have a ton of game time, but he's in his third year of the program already.

Reaction score
I'm surprised a bit, but we really shouldn't be. Iowa has started the season losing 2 games they essentially were a play away from winning.

The margin of error with how Iowa plays is razor thin most years even with good talent, and this year it seems that they have talent but not quite enough of it or what they have is inexperienced in key positions.

The front 7 on defense has 2 good or ready players. Gholston is good and Nixon is a stud. The DB's are fine. The rest are overmatched or not there yet.

The offense is another story. I don't know what the problem or the fix is there other than to abandon the scheme and start over. I am still just fucking furious at the short side zone run on 2nd and 1 when they were marching down the field to win the game.
More than almost all teams this year, Iowa needed spring practice, a normal fall camp and a couple of non-conference tune-up games.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I will chime in next Saturday to give my opinion about whether Iowa sucks or is just mediocre. The fine line will be determined.

Petras clapping after incomplete passes really bothers me, and it shouldn't.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
it comes down to Iowa not having an OC who can make midgame adjustments.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
In my adult life I’d say there’s been about 3 games I didn’t think Iowa had any chance in winning. 2012 @Michigan, 2016 vs Michigan and 2017 vs Ohio State.

Mocking someone for predicting Iowa to win is kinda dumb. They lost by 1 point.
I was mocking the 38 points.

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
Someone should have used "potential spoilers" in this thread. I hope we haven't ruined it for you.
I accidentally clicked on the football board last night whilst browsing. The fact that the "Officially Done With Ferentz" thread had been bumped gave me a pretty good idea what the outcome was.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
According to Iowa City Police, Smith-Marsette was clocked doing 74 miles per hour in a 30 mile per hour zone just before 1:30 Sunday morning.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
My sister was hit by a drunk driver when she was 10 so I have no tolerance for this shit, especially with the excessive speed. @Shawneemicks give him the business