**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 3:00pm - FOX**

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
Agree. The coaches need to drill that into him. He ain’t buying more time moving laterally.
It's something that maybe the QB coach we're paying a fortune to should have on his radar.

I think teaching a young kid to have better pocket presence is probably a lot easier to teach than trying to teach a pussy to take a hit though. And I don't really think Spencer is the latter.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
“Sneak the fucking ball!!!!!” was a resounding theme in my house. Before half was one major instance and then toward the end of the game too. I’m hoping they are saving it for Nebrantska where they run it about 8 times consecutively for 35 yards and a touchdown. It’s the only reasonable explanation for not doing it Saturday.

Reaction score
1) I think this speaks to my point on Brian; he struggles to asses and adjust to something that isn’t working. You don’t have guys that are going to win a lot of one on one battles; you NEED to adjust the play calling.
Adjust to what though? When you face man coverage and heavy blitzes, you need the protection to hold up and receivers to win battles. He called some mesh concepts and other things that you would go to on that situation. Same with a couple of screens and tunnels and adding extra protection.

We had some success at various points on all of those things. I’m not saying there’s nothing he could have done better, but that was a really tough matchup for us. Several of the struggles are hard to scheme your way out of.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Williams getting some more carries. Goodson is dancing way too much, a bad combo with how this line is blocking. Need someone going more north/south. Williams can have IKM's carries, when not fumbling he is picking up about a yard an attempt it feels like.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Williams getting some more carries. Goodson is dancing way too much, a bad combo with how this line is blocking. Need someone going more north/south. Williams can have IKM's carries, when not fumbling he is picking up about a yard an attempt it feels like.
Agreed. I would prefer that our best 1 cut back get the bulk of the carries. Goodson is versatile enough to split out and present a mismatch on a LB or S.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I wonder what other teams fan bases say to their coaches when they can’t move the ball against Iowa.

‘CROSSING ROUTES! GET TO THE OUTSIDE THEYRE SLOW THERE!’

Or the other team is also very good. Only 1 team has scored 23 points on Penn State this year and that team resides in Iowa City.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Adjust to what though? When you face man coverage and heavy blitzes, you need the protection to hold up and receivers to win battles. He called some mesh concepts and other things that you would go to on that situation. Same with a couple of screens and tunnels and adding extra protection.

We had some success at various points on all of those things. I’m not saying there’s nothing he could have done better, but that was a really tough matchup for us. Several of the struggles are hard to scheme your way out of.
this is a great post. Players gotta win on their routes and they aren’t doing that all that often. Penn states secondary was very good.

they could prolly find more opportunities to get Keagan Johnson in the game though.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I forget who said it in chat, but it's not like he's scared. He's shown he's willing to take a hit. It's almost more like he has anxiety about indecision.
I think this is correct. He probably freezes up in the same way when playing a video game.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I honestly thought Iowa’s offense Saturday was somewhat encouraging. Penn State has a legit top 10 defense, and Iowa’s offense put up over 300 yards of offense and 20 points (excluding the FG scored on the first INT) without the defense setting up a bunch of short fields in PSU territory.

Still a lot to improve upon, certainly. But the offense does seem to be progressing enough each week that they could realistically be an above average offense by the end of the regular season.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I honestly thought Iowa’s offense Saturday was somewhat encouraging. Penn State has a legit top 10 defense, and Iowa’s offense put up over 300 yards of offense and 20 points (excluding the FG scored on the first INT) without the defense setting up a bunch of short fields in PSU territory.

Still a lot to improve upon, certainly. But the offense does seem to be progressing enough each week that they could realistically be an above average offense by the end of the regular season.
Seems like an expected progression for Ferentz coached Iowa teams. The offense starts picking up in October and onward. #Kirktober