**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 6:30pm - ABC**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Line opens up as Penn State -3

Weather is going to be in the mid-40's at kickoff.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't think the Michigan game will have much translation to this game. Everything was completely fucked from the start of that game. In reflecting back, it was one of the weirdest Iowa games that I can remember, right up there with Indiana 2009. A total shit show of 4 fumbles all going the wrong way, a bunch of picks, tons of missed pass interference and holding calls and some bewildering penalties and play calling.

In the Fat Brian era they have tended to bounce back from an awful offensive game on the road when coming back to Kinnick. In 2016 they got absolutely embarrassed at Penn State and then beat Top 5 Michigan. 2017 they played like dogshit at Michigan State putting up 10 points and then crushed Illinois (I know..) and played like dogshit again at Northwestern putting up 10 points and then recovered against Minnesota and crushed Ohio State. The one real exception was 2017 when they got beat by Purdue after Wisconsin embarrassed them.

Kinnick, ABC night game, not exactly the strongest Penn State game, underdog, chip on shoulder, blah blah blah. I certainly wouldn't bet against Iowa in this scenario.

Win this game, hopefully be able to take care of a really depleted Purdue and Northwestern team and they can be 7-1 and ranked in or near the Top 10 going into Wisconsin to play for control of the Big Ten West.

I think I would be a lot more worried about this team if a shitty Michigan offense had put up a bunch of points, but they didn't. The defense essentially held them to one score on the road and looked very solid doing it. They haven't had many moments of not looking like a pretty damn stout Iowa defense, so will hope that they are for real.

The offense with Brian and Nate has been hot and cold for 3 years now. Sometimes it fucking erupts, mostly at home where they feel a lot more comfortable. Have to keep hoping that they hold serve at home and eventually they break through on the road against a good team. Maybe that will be Nate's last homecoming to Wisconsin. Likely not, but it is what it is.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I think I remember Jackson struggling vs their elite DE last year and he seemed slow against Michigan. I wonder if they would start Kallenberger instead for this game? Something has to change on the line.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Geno is gonna be on fire for this one.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
My Saturday opened up. Might be hard to find a ticket this late but I’m gonna sure as fuck try!

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
Flush the Michigan game. Fat Nate soiled himself and Brian didn’t help.

They will bounce back. Close game with a chance to win it late seems par for the course.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I was really confident about this game going into the season. But PSU looks much better than I thought they would

douglasbader

Reaction score
I was really confident about this game going into the season. But PSU looks much better than I thought they would
Camel pointed it out in another thread, but their looking "much better" the last 2 games has been against Maryland and a devastated Purdue.

They struggled with Buffalo. Pitt could have beat them.

I think they are good, but we shall find out how good.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
They slept walked first half against Buffalo and Pitt is a big rivalry game

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Their offense was sleepy in those games, but no one is scoring on them. That seems like cause for concern after what we just saw in Ann Arbor.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Brian and Kirk share a common trait....good coaches in a lot of aspects, yet unable to adjust on the fly. Time and time again, we've seen the defense make gametime adjustments and improve. The offense, not so much.

Iowa will need a special teams or defensive TD to win.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Brian and Kirk share a common trait....good coaches in a lot of aspects, yet unable to adjust on the fly. Time and time again, we've seen the defense make gametime adjustments and improve. The offense, not so much.

Iowa will need a special teams or defensive TD to win.
Yeah, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but it seemed to me that our second half offense was pretty much a carbon copy of what didn't work in the first half, and that pissed me off. Yet, we still had a chance to win that game in the fourth quarter.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Go ahead & dial up the recipe for an OL leaking like a sieve & their athletes on the outside being just a shade better than yours.

Tom Brady & Payton Manning would've had a bad day Saturday.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Will Paulsen still be starting this week? Even if they don't pull the redshirt off Britt, I would bet they do some shuffling and even try Kallenberger inside.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Will Paulsen still be starting this week? Even if they don't pull the redshirt off Britt, I would bet they do some shuffling and even try Kallenberger inside.
Why do people keep talking about pulling the redshirt off Britt? It is pulled. The don't plan on redshirting him.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Why is everyone so high on Britt?
He shows some semblance of mean. Drives guys downfield and into the ground when he can. Can’t be worse than the twin thespians.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Why is everyone so high on Britt?
Why are we so high on the highly sought after recruit that Ferentz went out of his way to personally recruit and is already playing as a true freshman?

Are you being serious or joking?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Reaction score
Soft Nate don’t do dick in the big road games. The D gave him every opportunity. He still throws a shitty off-target ball too often, and there is only so much blaming you can lay on that shitty ass OL. Make a fucking play and win in Madison, fat boy.

Get to Indy and all is forgiven.

Fuck the Outhouse bowl.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That probability of Fat Brian and poopy pants putting together a winning offensive effort in Madison is miniscule.

They might do it home against Penn State, but I don't really believe.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I never want to see Nate turn his back to the LOS ever again, under duress or otherwise. Looks horrible, with results to match.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
As much as we don’t like to admit it, Saturday is a microcosm of Iowa football under Kirk.

Consistently recruit and develop well enough to compete, however simply unwilling to deviate from the basics. In other words, they refuse to scheme and attempt to create an in game, strategic advantage.

Every opponent does something offensively to slow the defense just a step. Mississippi State has the fake toss which slows the defense just a touch, QB draw, RPO, etc, etc.......shit, Iowa can’t be bothered with a hard count to slow down an aggressive front seven.

Usually a winning formula, but maddening when it doesn’t work.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think the biggest adjustment, just like it was when Wadley was here, is that Iowa needs to get their best talent on the field to break plays and create easy scores in big games and on the road.

Goodson should touch the ball 20+ times per game against Penn State / Wisconsin / Northwestern / Nebrantska. I even think IKM would be a good option.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I think the biggest adjustment, just like it was when Wadley was here, is that Iowa needs to get their best talent on the field to break plays and create easy scores in big games and on the road.

Goodson should touch the ball 20+ times per game against Penn State / Wisconsin / Northwestern / Nebrantska. I even think IKM would be a good option.
Tracy is dynamic as well

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
They'll beat Penn State, lose at Madison and win the rest of them. 10-2 is damn good for Iowa any season. The shitfest style they lost on Saturday cost them the game but that type of style has historically kept them in games and allowed them to beat many more talented teams (and in turn, lose a few they should not). The talent on Iowa right now is better than it has been in a while so we are seeing a slight uptick in wins per season.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

It's sort of a basic point - when you're an underdog, you need to go for high variance plays, not steady predictable plays. Like an underdog in college basketball chucking a bunch of 3s.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
As much as we don’t like to admit it, Saturday is a microcosm of Iowa football under Kirk.

Consistently recruit and develop well enough to compete, however simply unwilling to deviate from the basics. In other words, they refuse to scheme and attempt to create an in game, strategic advantage.

Every opponent does something offensively to slow the defense just a step. Mississippi State has the fake toss which slows the defense just a touch, QB draw, RPO, etc, etc.......shit, Iowa can’t be bothered with a hard count to slow down an aggressive front seven.

They literally lined Goodson up on the outside and ran a go patter with him that they completed to the 25 yard line. That play was followed up with scheming the 2 outside receivers to the right, confusing the Michigan defensive backs and Nico Ragaini being wide open for a touchdown. They got called for a hold so it didn't matter.

No one in here knows what Penn States defensive scheme is. They have a better front than Michigan but do they have the same defensive back talent? Do they blitz as much?

I know the tendency is to overreact to one game good or bad but it's the exact reason Vegas makes the money they do.

Iowa is a 3 point home dog. It's not like this is some gigantic mismatch. If Iowa can hold Penn State to field goals, win field position and don't turn the ball over they'll have a great shot to win.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score

IKM has looked good in limited carries.I'd have no problem with him being in more often

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score

20 would be nice, but he doesn't even need that many. 12-15 would be plenty to get the defense off balance.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score

They literally lined Goodson up on the outside and ran a go patter with him that they completed to the 25 yard line. That play was followed up with scheming the 2 outside receivers to the right, confusing the Michigan defensive backs and Nico Ragaini being wide open for a touchdown. They got called for a hold so it didn't matter.

No one in here knows what Penn States defensive scheme is. They have a better front than Michigan but do they have the same defensive back talent? Do they blitz as much?

I know the tendency is to overreact to one game good or bad but it's the exact reason Vegas makes the money they do.

Iowa is a 3 point home dog. It's not like this is some gigantic mismatch. If Iowa can hold Penn State to field goals, win field position and don't turn the ball over they'll have a great shot to win.
I'm sure they will now.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Go ahead & dial up the recipe for an OL leaking like a sieve & their athletes on the outside being just a shade better than yours.

Their offense has better athletes than our defense but scheming and coaching seemed to make it a fairly decent match up

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

Their offense has better athletes than our defense but scheming and coaching seemed to make it a fairly decent match up
You can't scheme much around your OL getting their lunch handed to them. It was a bad day for them. We'll see if we can get it fixed for Saturday.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I’m a lot more pessimistic about Madison than Saturday. Feel others gonna need to do our dirty work vs Bucky if we’re to be in Indy, starting with the criminal Dantonio this weekend.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
10 wins would be a nice season. Win Saturday and it’s staring you right in the face

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
I think they are gonna be ready to rock come Saturday, and I don't consider PSU to be overly intimidating.
Iowa 27 PSU 17

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Why the swing in the line? Penn St -4.5 or -5 in some places.