**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 6:30pm - ABC**

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
It's Ferentz Iowa: run a consistent system from year to year to year, and try to develop your 2 and 3 star kids to run that system well by the time that they are juniors or seniors. Find some diamonds in the rough and a precious handful of diamonds, period, and find those years in the development cycle where everything comes together and you have a 9 win+ team.

Early NFL entry has really blown that vision apart. When the quality pieces leave after two or three years, you end up with too many talent or experience deficits to be able to beat the Michigans and Penn States and Ohio States now and then, and you have 7-8 win teams. I think what we're seeing now (and really have since 2010) is where Iowa will remain for the next decade. Early entry has just widened the quality gap between the conference elite and the second tier.

Huge talent/experience problems at OG and RB. That's going to sink any Ferentz team.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It's Ferentz Iowa: run a consistent system from year to year to year, and try to develop your 2 and 3 star kids to run that system well by the time that they are juniors or seniors. Find some diamonds in the rough and a precious handful of diamonds, period, and find those years in the development cycle where everything comes together and you have a 9 win+ team.

Early NFL entry has really blown that vision apart. When the quality pieces leave after two or three years, you end up with too many talent or experience deficits to be able to beat the Michigans and Penn States and Ohio States now and then, and you have 7-8 win teams. I think what we're seeing now (and really have since 2010) is where Iowa will remain for the next decade. Early entry has just widened the quality gap between the conference elite and the second tier.

Huge talent/experience problems at OG and RB. That's going to sink any Ferentz team.
You phrased this way better than my post earlier. Penn State can withstand the attrition. Iowa can’t and with the trend becoming get paid while you can you’ll see more and more guys leave early.

And it’s not just the early entries. Losing a guy like Spencer Williams to injury that you recruited for the interior of the line hurts almost as much. Just look at the guard position. Banwart and the Paulens. Their backups are freshman Ince, freshman Britt, a sophomore walk in and the 3rd tackle.

I honestly think half 40-50% of the scholarships each year should go towards offensive and defensive lineman because if Iowa struggles up front the team is fucked.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Of course, if you can't recruit and develop enough 2 and 3 star kids to have peak-cycle-year teams that sneak into the top 15, you can always run the spread, put up a lot of points to make it look like you're actually in the game, and if you're lucky you play in a conference with a lot of other middling-talent shit spread teams, and if your team is slightly less shitty than the rest of the shit, you can have historic 8 win seasons and start talking about being one step away from elite. So there's that.

I prefer Ferentz ball.

CamelTones

Reaction score
It’s also not the zone scheme that’s the problem. We complained about it with Weisman too. Then in 2015 and 2016 when they actually had multiple decent running backs it wasn’t a problem. And that was with guys like Boone Myers and Cole Croston blocking up front.

The interior of the line just can’t block and the running backs are not great. It’s that simple. Next year, the interior will probably take a step forward, Goodson will be the starter and they’ll look better. Of course they’ll lose the tackles and the pass blocking on the outside will drop off but that’s actually better than where the rush is coming from now.

They should seriously consider putting Kallenberger at tackle and sliding Wirfs inside. Maybe even at left guard.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Look, I get wanting an innovative Big12 Offensive gameplan that is going to be spreading the ball around and scoring TD's, but Iowa hasn't recruited to or coached that. What Iowa has done historically under KF is play sound fundamental football particularly against strong competition and that has been accomplished by strong line play on both sides. Right now the Iowa OL is not good and it is keeping them from success on the offensive side of things.
And turnovers deep in our own territory have been killers. Suck on O, but don't make the worst turnovers.
As bad as Iowa's offense was, they still likely win that game had Stanley's pass not been intercepted at the Iowa 35 yard line.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Was their any post game comments or questions about the OL

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I know this will likely be bowed to shit, but also need to have a bit of perspective here. Iowa lost a game they had a chance to tie or win on the last possession against a Top 15 team on the road. They lost a 5 point game to a Top 10 team. Both of them have a good to very good defense.

Iowa is still going to be set up for a good season. They will likely pound on the lesser teams like Purdue, Illinois and yes even Northwestern. I like them still against Minnesota at home and Nebrantska on the road. Wisconsin is still a game they will line up and play despite how dire everyone thinks it will be.

Yeah, might be an 8 or 9 win team and a decent bowl game, but that is exactly what most of us thought they were going to be before the season.
I like their chances more against Minnesota than NW, fwiw
Minnesota piss-pounded Nebrantska.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
It’s also not the zone scheme that’s the problem. We complained about it with Weisman too. Then in 2015 and 2016 when they actually had multiple decent running backs it wasn’t a problem. And that was with guys like Boone Myers and Cole Croston blocking up front.

The interior of the line just can’t block and the running backs are not great. It’s that simple. Next year, the interior will probably take a step forward, Goodson will be the starter and they’ll look better. Of course they’ll lose the tackles and the pass blocking on the outside will drop off but that’s actually better than where the rush is coming from now.

They should seriously consider putting Kallenberger at tackle and sliding Wirfs inside. Maybe even at left guard.
Those tackles haven't been world beaters this year either, maybe they'll play themselves into another year in school. Doubtful because they are really talented.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I know this will likely be bowed to shit, but also need to have a bit of perspective here. Iowa lost a game they had a chance to tie or win on the last possession against a Top 15 team on the road. They lost a 5 point game to a Top 10 team. Both of them have a good to very good defense.

Iowa is still going to be set up for a good season. They will likely pound on the lesser teams like Purdue, Illinois and yes even Northwestern. I like them still against Minnesota at home and Nebrantska on the road. Wisconsin is still a game they will line up and play despite how dire everyone thinks it will be.

Yeah, might be an 8 or 9 win team and a decent bowl game, but that is exactly what most of us thought they were going to be before the season.
I like their chances more against Minnesota than NW, fwiw
Minnesota piss-pounded Nebrantska.
Martinez didn’t play.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I’m sick of the zone blocking scheme. I’m sick of Brian being over his head. I’m sick of the interior OL being absolute dogshit. I’m sick of the punt returner letting every ball hit the turf. Polasek is not an OL coach.

Yet assuming OSU can beat Wisconsin, the game in Madison still may be what decides the division as ridiculous as all of this has been.
We will use the same offensive game plan against Wisconsin that we used against Michigan and Penn State, with the same result. Our defense will keep us in the game into the fourth quarter, but we will lose another game we could have won.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Wisconsin is going to push Iowa’s shit in. Deep.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
defense isn't giving up points but they are also not getting any turnovers. I thought Stanley was going to be really good but in the end he's a tad better than James Vandenburg.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Vandenberg was a Terry Straus drop away from having a douche championship.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’m sick of the zone blocking scheme. I’m sick of Brian being over his head. I’m sick of the interior OL being absolute dogshit. I’m sick of the punt returner letting every ball hit the turf. Polasek is not an OL coach.

Yet assuming OSU can beat Wisconsin, the game in Madison still may be what decides the division as ridiculous as all of this has been.
We will use the same offensive game plan against Wisconsin that we used against Michigan and Penn State, with the same result. Our defense will keep us in the game into the fourth quarter, but we will lose another game we could have won.
This is unfortunately true.

Penn State found something that worked with the zone read game after their initial plan didn’t work. They didn’t attempt a single deep pass. Iowa’s offense is completely predicated on their game plan working.

CamelTones

Reaction score

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Was their any post game comments or questions about the OL
lol. yeah, Iowa media always asks the tough questions. Imagine how soft those OGs would be if they hadn't been "Doyleized"..
Losing Banwart and Schott hasn’t helped much.
That’s not an excuse. Sure if sucks but it’s ridiculous that with all the other OL on scholarship they can’t find one serviceable player?

landon Paulson is the worst OL I’ve ever seen

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
New QB and 3 of 5 new starters on OL next year should be a riot.

Bob

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be fine eventually but right now Linderbaum fucking sucks

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score

I like this idea. On paper, you would have the left side as a strength.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
New QB and 3 of 5 new starters on OL next year should be a riot.
This was the year. As previously stated, the guys who left early have made this year an eight win ceiling.

I’ve been positive on Nate, however I’m now resigned to accepting that he’s simply okay and not going to take the next step.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Nate's biggest problem as someone else has said is his speed at making his reads. He is not a quick decision maker and becomes a statue if his first read isn't there. When he tries to speed up this process is when he makes mistakes. I've been waiting for a max protect package a couple of times to see if that can help him get it to one of his playmakers on the outside. Hell, we need a max protect package just to manage hand-offs sometimes though.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Welch’s injury was huge. Doyle was proactively bad. Their running game got going when he entered.

Reaction score
Nate's biggest problem as someone else has said is his speed at making his reads. He is not a quick decision maker and becomes a statue if his first read isn't there. When he tries to speed up this process is when he makes mistakes. I've been waiting for a max protect package a couple of times to see if that can help him get it to one of his playmakers on the outside. Hell, we need a max protect package just to manage hand-offs sometimes though.
I like a Pro spread formation, 3 WR and Goodson/Young in the backfield.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone rushes for 200+ on Nebrantska. Martinez keeps their defense off the field. Their backups are horrible. I didn’t say Nebrantska would have won, I just think the game would have been much closer.
If we set the over/under for Iowa at 150 right now when they play in November, how many people take the over?

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Yes. That is also the definition of targeting, like the one they overturned.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
That was the play that Stanley threw the pick, right?

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Stanley missing Smith on the slant for the touchdown was pretty much exactly what that game felt like summed up in a play.

Reaction score
lol. yeah, Iowa media always asks the tough questions. Imagine how soft those OGs would be if they hadn't been "Doyleized"..
Losing Banwart and Schott hasn’t helped much.
That’s not an excuse. Sure if sucks but it’s ridiculous that with all the other OL on scholarship they can’t find one serviceable player?

landon Paulson is the worst OL I’ve ever seen
It isn’t, there’s just not a ton of depth at OG right now. It’s a tough position to play in our scheme and quite frankly, no one seems to be up to the task

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Is Schott coming back this year? I might get some optimism back if we don’t have to see the Paulsens any more.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
As bad as the last two games have been, if the offense doesn’t turn the ball over, this is basically the 2003 Iowa team.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Britt, please.

If on the job training is required at OG let’s at least have the trainee be someone who will be around for a while.

Reaction score
Interior OL is the issue and there is no fix. That said, BF and Stanley have always been over their heads when facing a mildly competent opponent. And we are stuck with 8-4 at best by beating all the bottom feeders. Exciting.

And seeing PSUs slot receiver piss all over overmatched LBs was a disgusting flashback I thought we were past.

Lots of frustration is the best way to sum it up.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
He's still burly, but he's also still not a bellcow.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I wish we had Brock Purdy #brocktober
Can he play guard?

I’m not a Stanley fan but even the great brock Purdy would get his shit packed in with this OL

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
It’s time to declare The Running Game is Fixed dead. And with it our entire offense because of Nate’s limitations.