**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 6:30pm - ABC**

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
There’s stuff that could be done to cover up some of these limitations and field a functional offense that scores some points, but not with this staff and QB.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
All quarterbacks are better with time, but Nate is just not suited to make this work.

I don't know what you do, I suspect the solution will be to keep plugging and hope the line gets better.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
The sad part of this whole thing is the crowd was ready to really get involved in the game but the Hawks just wouldn't let it happen.

Gushawk

Reaction score
All quarterbacks are better with time, but Nate is just not suited to make this work.

I don't know what you do, I suspect the solution will be to keep plugging and hope the line gets better.
They don’t have any other choice. The backup also is a statue, and they don’t have the offensive minds on the staff (at least in positions of power) to scheme something different even if he wasn’t.

I think we basically cross our fingers and hope that Hogan is Drew Tate with better size and temperament at this point.

We’ll win some games, but this season being one of thrills and joy is a dream that’s dead.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

When he is both not making big plays/ good tough throws, AND taking sacks/throwing interceptions it's tough to have anything remotely resembling a functioning offense. Just as last year the team will be as good as he is, no more, no less.

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Reaction score
I thought the crowd sucked last night. I know the team didn't give us much to cheer for but place was dead.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
The most innovative play I saw last night by the offense was on a third and one where Stanley was in shotgun and he sent the running back out to the slot and faked coming to the line to audible. Then he quickly got under center and sneaked the ball. It worked great, but that is saying something that that is your most innovative play.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Welch’s injury was huge. Doyle was proactively bad. Their running game got going when he entered.
Campbell could be very good but I'm afraid he will sit behind Doyle for the next 3 years.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Anyone explain why Niko keeps doing that hand thing?

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Interested to see how they respond after 2 tough losses. Could easily see it going either way.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score

They don’t have any other choice. The backup also is a statue, and they don’t have the offensive minds on the staff (at least in positions of power) to scheme something different even if he wasn’t.

I think we basically cross our fingers and hope that Hogan is Drew Tate with better size and temperament at this point.

We’ll win some games, but this season being one of thrills and joy is a dream that’s dead.
Sadly, this is spot on.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Interested to see how they respond after 2 tough losses. Could easily see it going either way.
I'd imagine the crowd is going to be rather sleepy next week. But piss pounding Purdue would help.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
I said it in chat and I’ll say it here: Wisconsin is the only loss left on the schedule. No Indy, but we will be talking Holiday or Citrus Bowl matchups in early December.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
There’s stuff that could be done to cover up some of these limitations and field a functional offense that scores some points, but not with this staff and QB.

This to me is the point that needs to be emphasized most

Simply put, many teams in college football do more with far less than Iowa has.

This shit show needs to be laid squarely at the coaching staffs feet

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
I said it in chat and I’ll say it here: Wisconsin is the only loss left on the schedule. No Indy, but we will be talking Holiday or Citrus Bowl matchups in early December.
Hope you’re right. You need to keep in mind that most opposing coaches will scheme to attach weaknesses. Easy to forget given that we rarely see this from Iowa’s staff.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Right. Our OL is not good right now, but thre are far worse ones out there playing for teams that are scoring points.

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Reaction score
I think they will hang with Wisconsin if the offense doesn't hand them points.
Not sure how they'll score though.

Gushawk

Reaction score
We’ve seen this movie before. The 330 pounders eventually break the demoralized dam.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
MN could be tricky. And I sure as hell ain’t assuming a win over Purdue after last 2 years

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
We’ve seen this movie before. The 330 pounders eventually break the demoralized dam.
Especially with that running back. The thing that gets me the most is the points and opportunities squandered in the first half. Some better situational play and play calling, and that is a 13-7 lead. The problem is that leaving first half points on the field has been Brians MO for the last 3 years.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

This

this defense has been awfully damn good, but the idea that they are going to be able to hold up against perhaps the most physical OLine in college football after the offense puts them in terrible spot after terrible spot....is just laughable.

no defense can hold up forever

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I don’t know why people think petras is going to be that much better other than he’s not fat nate

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I don’t know why people think petras is going to be that much better other than he’s not fat nate

Even mediocre QB’s are serviceable when put in positions to be successful

level of QB play isn’t my biggest concern at the moment

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
I haven’t heard or seen much about Petras. Apparently he knows the offense well and has a big arm.

Nate 2.0.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I hope he doesn’t have concrete shoes

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Nate has a great arm, and has become solid with the mechanics of running the offense. If he could get through his reads quicker he would be a great college qb. That’s what I hope Petras can be.

The line play has also been good with Brian coaching it. 2013-2016 were all much better than this line, they just had shit skill guys.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
You're a crazy son of a bitch, Vepr.

Reaction score
Nate has a great arm, and has become solid with the mechanics of running the offense. If he could get through his reads quicker he would be a great college qb. That’s what I hope Petras can be.

The line play has also been good with Brian coaching it. 2013-2016 were all much better than this line, they just had shit skill guys.
Don’t think we’re that great skill wise now either. Improved but not as good as most top 20 teams. Like last year, we’re relying on defense to win games and I get the feeling the staff feels this philosophy gives us the best chance to be competitive. We haven’t really recruited well offensively for quite some time IMO.

Reaction score
That espn/abc crew really sucked

absolutely no mention replay of the helmet to helmet on stanley, refs completely missed it too, was worse than the bosa one that got him ejected

No replay or mentioning of a possible fumble on the AJ sack, he might have been down but for Christ’s sake show us and review it

great job at completely missing full plays too not coming back from commercial

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa’s offense is set up to protect their defense. They want to run clock and limit the snaps the defense has to play. I think a good strategy may be to go tempo after they pick up a first down or 2. Going tempo right after a possession change last night probably ends up in a much larger margin of defeat.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
Iowa’s offense is set up to protect their defense. They want to run clock and limit the snaps the defense has to play. I think a good strategy may be to go tempo after they pick up a first down or 2. Going tempo right after a possession change last night probably ends up in a much larger margin of defeat.
@Maury Povich

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
“As a football player he has unbelievable tools and talent,” Marin (Calif.) Catholic football coach Mazi Moayed said. “It’s incredible. He is extremely powerful. Probably the strongest arm we’ve had at Marin Catholic and had the pleasure of coaching Jared Goff when Jared was here.”

He could be worse than Nate but this comment seems promising... Also, I can't imagine him having any worse pocket presence

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I loved CJ but his pocket presence also left something to be desired

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

This to me is the point that needs to be emphasized most

Simply put, many teams in college football do more with far less than Iowa has.

This shit show needs to be laid squarely at the coaching staffs feet
Yeah, just scrap your healthy 3yr starter and team captain and install a completely new offense predicated on he semi- mobility of your 3rd string qb?

Listen guys we lost 2 games to really good teams. In the last 3 weeks, we lost our best 2 offensive guards, which also happened to be a position of relative weakness already. Add to that one of your consensus 1st round draft pick tackles missed 5 weeks and is playing poorly.

It's tough to watch Nate under such duress, since he's such a statue... but we're winning and losing with him at this point. We tried to change the offense to get the ball out quick and scheme around our issues... but the entire premise of football(and especially Hawkeye football) is being able to block people and control the los.

Sometimes you can navigate the landmines inherent in a given season, but having guys that can't block wasn't and isn't something BF can wave a magic wand over.

Bring it in.

Bob

Reaction score
It was outright awful. He immediately dropped his eyes and got happy feet if there was even a hint of pressure and ran himself into tons of sacks.

I thought the crowd sucked last night. I know the team didn't give us much to cheer for but place was dead.
I thought it was fine in the first half but died after halftime when everyone realized that the offense wasn't going to get any better, especially after the fumble. At some point it felt like we might just never score a TD ever again.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
It was outright awful. He immediately dropped his eyes and got happy feet if there was even a hint of pressure and ran himself into tons of sacks.

I thought it was fine in the first half but died after halftime when everyone realized that the offense wasn't going to get any better, especially after the fumble. At some point it felt like we might just never score a TD ever again.
The crowd was trying to get into the game but you had the feeling Iowa wasn't going win. There was little to cheer about most of the time. Second and nine isn't going to get it done.

Reaction score
I'll bet you 100 dollars on this one

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wisconsin might be the only game Iowa is a clear underdog, expecting them to win every time they are favored is a little optimistic.

Reaction score
I thought crowd was pretty good until the 2nd quarter started. It turned negative pretty quick going into halftime.