**Official Penn State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 6:30pm - ABC**

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is a terrible OC responsible for one of the worst offenses in major college football.

He's gonna be Iowa's next HC so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is a terrible OC responsible for one of the worst offenses in major college football.

He's gonna be Iowa's next HC so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.
Phil Parker is the next Iowa HC you fucking retard.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Do people really have that much of a problem with the design of the offense versus the execution of the offense? I actually like our offense quite a bit. I just wish we ran it better.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Do people really have that much of a problem with the design of the offense versus the execution of the offense? I actually like our offense quite a bit. I just wish we ran it better.
Who cares?

I don't give a flying fuck what Iowa wants to do, I just care that they score.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Right? Why are all of these idiots focusing on the guy responsible for designing the offense, they should focus on the guy responsible for the execution of the offense oh wait.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

I’m not quite sure why you and @sergeanthulka are being so stupid about this.

let me use a painfully tortured analogy to try to help you. If you have the most unstoppable offense in the country as long as its run with unicorns and Minotaurs....it doesn’t really fucking matter if you don’t actually HAVE Unicorns and Minotaurs on your team.

Essentially you’re saying “well fuck, we can only score if we have these magical fucking creatures. So I guess we’re just fucked.”

the contention here is that the coaching staff could perhaps figure out a way to put points on the board without the use of magical creatures like the rest of the college football universe

Reaction score
It all boils down to offensive recruiting. We've had misses with Melvin Gordon and Eno Benjamin and have had to settle for projects at RB and WR didn't seem to be a position of focus until recent years. We definitely need to find a way to get playmakers on campus and other schools seemingly have done a better job of that. On the other hand, we've gotten a lot of production from our of our past fallback/late offer recruits (Canzeri/Wadley) but overall, the talent level at the RB/WR positions has been lacking the past few years.

Watching the game Saturday night, you could see the difference in the wiggle/quickness that the PSU RBs had vs ours (other than Goodson). Love my Hawks but the lack of talent at some key positions can affect the play or magnify issues at other position. Losing two underclassmen TE's like Hock/Fant doesn't help developmental programs such as ours either. Call me crazy, but I think we'd be 6-0 if Hockensen had come back. We're not that far off despite our offensive struggles.

Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe for the first time since McNutt and DJK, talent at WR isn't an issue.

That's part of the frustration. The thing holding Iowa's offense back, is a thing we can normally expect Iowa to be competent at.

Reaction score
Maybe, but our inability to run the ball effectively or consistently is hurting the passing game. Teams are forcing us to get away from our brand of football.

Stanley threw to Wieting for a couple nice gains on Saturday night but there's been a huge drop off in production at the TE position and I think that's been a big factor. We miss Hock's blocking as well as his ability to get clutch yards downfield.

Reaction score
I also don't get what the fuck the defense was doing on the last meaningful play of the game. 3rd down and short when it is hilariously obvious that Penn State figured out 2 possessions earlier that they were retarded if they ever threw another pass, Iowa still has a deep safety instead of playing man and loading the box.
Correct again. We have to completely fucking sell out on the run on that series. I think they should be taking those kind of chances when they had PSU penned down deep in their own territory. Instead, they let them kill us with a thousand cuts down the field.
So much of Iowa's philosophy is based on minimizing risk. So you play your safeties deep and generally only send 4 DL and dare the opponent to dink and dunk you all the way down the field because the risk associated with a single busted play is way higher. On that series, it was like there was a lack of awareness that the worst thing that could happen to you was 3 short runs.
As I was standing in Kinnick watching that series unfold, it was sad watching Iowa play base defense. Giving up a first down was the worst result in that situation. If for some reason Iowa blitzed everyone and Penn State threw a pass for a touchdown, Iowa would at least get the ball back. Iowa is a well coached team, but, it is situations like that and some of the clock management before half that is less than desirable.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
well, Brian's offenses are averaging less points vs Power 5 teams than Davis'.
Yup, we need to get better. But my eyes tell me we have execution problems & talent problems moreso than scheme/playcalling problems.
We weren't exactly overflowing with offensive talent when Davis was there either and anyway it's possible for both of them to be bad. I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the guy who is always coordinating bad offenses might have some playcalling issues. If his last name was Smith he'd be just as hated as Davis or KOK were. Are people just desperate to talk themselves into it because they know he's going to be the next coach no matter what?
I actually liked KOK. I never fully understood the hate for him.

GDGD was another story. Hated him from day 1.

Bob

Reaction score
Yup, we need to get better. But my eyes tell me we have execution problems & talent problems moreso than scheme/playcalling problems.
We weren't exactly overflowing with offensive talent when Davis was there either and anyway it's possible for both of them to be bad. I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the guy who is always coordinating bad offenses might have some playcalling issues. If his last name was Smith he'd be just as hated as Davis or KOK were. Are people just desperate to talk themselves into it because they know he's going to be the next coach no matter what?
I actually liked KOK. I never fully understood the hate for him.

GDGD was another story. Hated him from day 1.
He definitely looks a lot better with the benefit hindsight. Really the issues with the offense are at least as much on Kirk as they are any of the coordinators though.

Correct again. We have to completely fucking sell out on the run on that series. I think they should be taking those kind of chances when they had PSU penned down deep in their own territory. Instead, they let them kill us with a thousand cuts down the field.
So much of Iowa's philosophy is based on minimizing risk. So you play your safeties deep and generally only send 4 DL and dare the opponent to dink and dunk you all the way down the field because the risk associated with a single busted play is way higher. On that series, it was like there was a lack of awareness that the worst thing that could happen to you was 3 short runs.
As I was standing in Kinnick watching that series unfold, it was sad watching Iowa play base defense. Giving up a first down was the worst result in that situation. If for some reason Iowa blitzed everyone and Penn State threw a pass for a touchdown, Iowa would at least get the ball back. Iowa is a well coached team, but, it is situations like that and some of the clock management before half that is less than desirable.
Obviously it's not the defense's fault we lost that game but yeah just generally the team has a lot of trouble adjusting to the situation instead of just stubbornly doing what they want to do regardless. On the TD drive they did finally start going hurry up after awhile but they still wasted a lot of time early huddling when they knew they needed two scores.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I just don’t think we are that bad. Shockingly, teams offenses look better with better players.

The idea that Iowa has to stay healthy and get a few breaks to be a top 10 team is hardly groundbreaking.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I just don’t think we are that bad. Shockingly, teams offenses look better with better players.

The idea that Iowa has to stay healthy and get a few breaks to be a top 10 team is hardly groundbreaking.
No one is arguing that. I think people would like a few more Top 25 finishes. Since 2010, they’ve finished ranked in the Top 25 in 2015 and in one poll last year. It looks like this season may be borderline as well. That’s the gripe.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

No one is arguing that. I think people would like a few more Top 25 finishes. Since 2010, they’ve finished ranked in the Top 25 in 2015 and in one poll last year. It looks like this season may be borderline as well. That’s the gripe.
If we don’t Finish in the top 25 this year then yes, I will be a little frustrated

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
For comparison, Boise State has finished in the Top 25 six times (probably seven) after this year.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Just based on recruiting rankings, Iowa should rarely be a top 25 team.

Skinny Skier

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
What about based on players in the NFL.

Ferentz is amazing at evaluation and development so something else is missing.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

I've said this before, but this is the conundrum of the Ferentz era. Develops more NFL players than you would expect given his recruiting rankings. Wins less games than you might expect given the number of NFL players he's produced. Like you said, indicates they're good at evaluation and development, poor at game management.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score

I've said this before, but this is the conundrum of the Ferentz era. Develops more NFL players than you would expect given his recruiting rankings. Wins less games than you might expect given the number of NFL players he's produced. Like you said, indicates they're good at evaluation and development, poor at game management.
Or maybe part of the development part is playing some guys at a younger age, when maybe they aren't ready. But by doing that, helps turn them into an NFL prospect? Better for development, not necessarily better for winning games.

Bob

Reaction score

I think this is true, and they're also really really good at finding/developing certain positions and awful at recruiting and developing others. It doesn't really matter to the NFL team taking one of our awesome tackles or cornerbacks that we mostly suck at developing skill positions and QBs but it matters a lot for Iowa's win total.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

I think this is true, and they're also really really good at finding/developing certain positions and awful at recruiting and developing others. It doesn't really matter to the NFL team taking one of our awesome tackles or cornerbacks that we mostly suck at developing skill positions and QBs but it matters a lot for Iowa's win total.
That's fair - Iowa's NFL talent has not been evenly distributed.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Iowa fails in recruiting difference makers at the skill positions on offense. I think that’s a big part of the problem along with misses in recruiting on the offensive line. No idea how to fix the former issue.

Reaction score
Outside of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State etc, it's exceptionally difficult for most programs to effectively recruit ALL of the positions on the field <insert Captain Obvious img here> but Iowa's also facing an uphill battle due to being in a low population state that doesn't really produce great skill players on a regular basis, nor are we surrounded by states with those players. I think I read somewhere that most kids attend college within a 250 mi radius of home, which means Iowa has to convince that talent to play far from home. These issues are often exacerbated by the perception that we don't develop skill players very well, mostly due for the very reasons listed above, so a vicious cycle.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I know that our WRs aren't great relative to the rest of the conference but they're pretty good by Iowa's low standards. And our running backs have shown ability when the holes are there. Sargent and Young are a step slow but serviceable and they've got speedier options in Goodson and Ivory Kelly-Martin (not sure why he's fallen out of favor). It just seems to me the problem is with the shitty line and also the scheme (BF). Very odd to watch an Iowa team where arguably our weakest position group is the OL which features (or featured) two future 1st round picks. OL is the one place where we should expect to be able to 'reload'.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
It seemed like when they were running out of the I with Young they were getting 6-8 yards a pop then completely went away from it.

Reaction score
I know that our WRs aren't great relative to the rest of the conference but they're pretty good by Iowa's low standards. And our running backs have shown ability when the holes are there. Sargent and Young are a step slow but serviceable and they've got speedier options in Goodson and Ivory Kelly-Martin (not sure why he's fallen out of favor). It just seems to me the problem is with the shitty line and also the scheme (BF). Very odd to watch an Iowa team where arguably our weakest position group is the OL which features (or featured) two future 1st round picks. OL is the one place where we should expect to be able to 'reload'.
An OL is only as good as its weakest link

Reaction score
The '15 class has been a killer at several positions, but OL looked like the strong area of the class at the time. The #1 guy is in the NFL, the #2 guy (Waechter) had to quit football, Newborg was a bust and then had to quit and the Paulsens have been near busts. From 2016, the Giant Toddler had to quit and Banwart has been Moeaki durable. From '17, Kirkpatrick is an apparent bust and Kalleberger has had trouble getting big enough. From '18, Jeff Jenkins was a killer on film, but he still can't seem to get to 270 pounds. Plumb is still a big TE. Duwa had to hang it up. It's one hard position to project if you can't get the ready made killers. In the current freshman class, Ezra Miller apparently went home, due to sickness or something. He may have returned, but don't know if he's on the field now or not. I kinda wish they could steal Logan Lee from the DL, but they need bodies there, too.

It's at least 5 years in a row of having an OL constantly missing starters, though.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
The '15 class has been a killer at several positions, but OL looked like the strong area of the class at the time. The #1 guy is in the NFL, the #2 guy (Waechter) had to quit football, Newborg was a bust and then had to quit and the Paulsens have been near busts. From 2016, the Giant Toddler had to quit and Banwart has been Moeaki durable. From '17, Kirkpatrick is an apparent bust and Kalleberger has had trouble getting big enough. From '18, Jeff Jenkins was a killer on film, but he still can't seem to get to 270 pounds. Plumb is still a big TE. Duwa had to hang it up. It's one hard position to project if you can't get the ready made killers. In the current freshman class, Ezra Miller apparently went home, due to sickness or something. He may have returned, but don't know if he's on the field now or not. I kinda wish they could steal Logan Lee from the DL, but they need bodies there, too.

It's at least 5 years in a row of having an OL constantly missing starters, though.
How do you remember all this shit?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

How do you remember all this shit?
He didn't waste those years in the political threads.
Fuck you.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I remembered to go piss during the photo so I can stay out of the face recognition database.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
My eyes are closed...do it again!

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
My buddy and I both have a look of great sadness on our faces.