**Official Purdue vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - ESPN2**

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
All of this being said,I have zero confidence in a for sure win the rest of the way. We'll go 8-4.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Smith's injury was not an Achilles, was it?

Right when he was just becoming awesome. My heart goes out to him.
He was awesome last year. The coaching staff lacks any creativity in taking advantage of one of the most gifted receiving athletes this program has seen. It's a shame and predictable. And it doesn't help that his quarterback tends to shit his pants consistently. That's Iowa.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
All of this being said,I have zero confidence in a for sure win the rest of the way. We'll go 8-4.
Next week will possibly confirm what we think about this team. If they are still doing the exact same thing, then I really have no hope of anything beyond 8-4 either.

If they come out and handle Northwestern on the road, then I will at least keep some confidence they can pull something off against Wisconsin.

Again, as shitty as the last 3 games have been, that can all be erased with a win the next 2 games.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
This team is not beating Wisconsin at Wisconsin after the Badgers have lost two in a row. That game will be ugly unless Taylor gets hurt against the Buckeyes.

Reaction score
Botching the defensive offsides was so so bad

fucking college refs

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
We go through this almost every year, 8-4 seems about right. Not great, not terrible...Iowa football.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
This team is not beating Wisconsin at Wisconsin after the Badgers have lost two in a row. That game will be ugly unless Taylor gets hurt against the Buckeyes.
Imagine Iowa trying to run the ball at Wisconsin.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Reaction score
We don’t run anything remotely close to what the Patriots do, especially in the run game. They often use a fullback but aren’t really a pure zone team. A lot of power and wham blocking, sort of like Wisconsin. It doesn’t hurt o have the same QB for nearly 20 years either

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Maybe Kirk will surprise us and reassign Brian.

Maybe pigs will fly out of my butt.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Pigs will be flying, cuz Brian will be reassigned in 2-3 years.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I think some of you may be confused by what Bob means by reassigned. It's not gender reassignment.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
The big fear is and should be that this is what Brian's vision is and is going to be moving forward with the caliber of players Iowa is able to get. I don't see a giant uptick in recruiting any time soon. We can develop a few players here and there that will excel but we will never have an embarrassment of riches to do what he'd like to do. Coach to your players strengths.

Reaction score
We’ve focused more on getting better WRs than in past years. We came close on #3 Bell and had missed on RBs like Eno Benjamin and Melvin Gordon. Those guys could have made a huge difference. Just need to get over that hump and keep recruiting guys like Tracy and Goodson.

As long as KF is here tho, Iowa will play ball control offense and rely on defense to win games. It’s who we are, but we’ve evolved a bit in the last few years but we’re clearly missing our two best players that left early.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The big fear is and should be that this is what Brian's vision is and is going to be moving forward with the caliber of players Iowa is able to get. I don't see a giant uptick in recruiting any time soon. We can develop a few players here and there that will excel but we will never have an embarrassment of riches to do what he'd like to do. Coach to your players strengths.
Iowa’s historical inability to scrap and adjust to what is working and not working from season to season is perhaps the most maddening part of being an Iowa fan.

The running game has been poor to awful for several seasons now and the staff seems utterly unable or unwilling to adjust to it.

the graphic they flashed in the 3rd quarter was pretty blunt: Iowa doesn’t win when they struggle to run the ball.

Reaction score
Does anyone have the throw chart? Iowa going down the field is incredibly successful. They are insane to not do it 15 times per game, but they seem content to do it maybe 3-4 times per game.
They'd rather get their best offensive player hurt on a play that never nets more than three yards.
Don't even get me started on 3 out of 5 possessions throwing a WR screen on 3rd and short that had zero chance.

Fuck Brian.
At least two of them were obvious checks at the line by Nate. One was baited by a blitz look that they did a good job on.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
They'd rather get their best offensive player hurt on a play that never nets more than three yards.
Don't even get me started on 3 out of 5 possessions throwing a WR screen on 3rd and short that had zero chance.

Fuck Brian.
At least two of them were obvious checks at the line by Nate. One was baited by a blitz look that they did a good job on.

Freaking claw my eyeballs out at those

once should have been enough for Brian and Kirk to decide to never fucking do that again. Seeing it happen again made me want to throw the TV remote

Reaction score

Fuck Brian.

once should have been enough for Brian and Kirk to decide to never fucking do that again. Seeing it happen again made me want to throw the TV remote
I get it, I just hope the people bitching about that weren't among the hundreds bitching about the screenshots in the Michigan game where our slot guy was uncovered and we didn't throw to him.

Reaction score
Stunned to read that the message board theme is that all coaches are dumb fucks (including Phil somehow) and the OC should be fired.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score

Fuck Brian.

They run plays regardless of what the D gives them. It’s retarded. It’s like when KOK used to script the entire first series no matter what. They have zero imagination and don’t adapt based on their weaknesses and strengths.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

I get it, I just hope the people bitching about that weren't among the hundreds bitching about the screenshots in the Michigan game where our slot guy was uncovered and we didn't throw to him.

Its the lack of selective utilization that is the issue.

There are times a given play call works, and is useful...and others where it is not. The inability to discern the proper times is the most maddening part

In at least two instance today, the “screen” to Ragaini would have required him to beat 3 guys by himself.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Stunned to read that the message board theme is that all coaches are dumb fucks (including Phil somehow) and the OC should be fired.
Who is saying Phil should be fired? The defense has played well enough to win every game, not being able to run the ball is why they lost the last two games. Iowa has had some really good individual OL over the years, but often struggles to run the ball. Hmmm...

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
The basic design isn’t bad, but the situational stuff is just garbage.
He's trying to run a "very" pro style offense without NFL players that are needed to run it. Our coaches can't adjust in game or game to game. Brian has zero identity as a play caller. The interior line is awful but being extremely predictable doesn't help them. Zone stretch! Quick throw to a receiver!
I promised myself when Brian was hired that we would run the fucking football and throw downfield more. I lied to myself.
We do throw downfield “more”, but it was a very low bar.

The zone needs to be shitcanned.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
We’ve focused more on getting better WRs than in past years. We came close on #3 Bell and had missed on RBs like Eno Benjamin and Melvin Gordon. Those guys could have made a huge difference. Just need to get over that hump and keep recruiting guys like Tracy and Goodson.

As long as KF is here tho, Iowa will play ball control offense and rely on defense to win games. It’s who we are, but we’ve evolved a bit in the last few years but we’re clearly missing our two best players that left early.
I have no idea why any elite WR or RB or QB would come here.

If you are an elite TE or OL or DB then a absolutely Iowa is the place to go.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
He's trying to run a "very" pro style offense without NFL players that are needed to run it. Our coaches can't adjust in game or game to game. Brian has zero identity as a play caller. The interior line is awful but being extremely predictable doesn't help them. Zone stretch! Quick throw to a receiver!
I promised myself when Brian was hired that we would run the fucking football and throw downfield more. I lied to myself.
We do throw downfield “more”, but it was a very low bar.

The zone needs to be shitcanned.
It has its place in Hawkeye football...Like with Goodson. That's it. That's the list.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Iowa’s historical inability to scrap and adjust to what is working and not working from season to season is perhaps the most maddening part of being an Iowa fan.

The running game has been poor to awful for several seasons now and the staff seems utterly unable or unwilling to adjust to it.

the graphic they flashed in the 3rd quarter was pretty blunt: Iowa doesn’t win when they struggle to run the ball.
That wasn't the case with KOK (see 2004).