**Official Purdue vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - ESPN2**

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
The rushing game scheme is trash and has been for awhile. Adapt or die (in big games).

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
The rushing game scheme is trash and has been for awhile. Adapt or die (in big games).
That and develop to the expectations of where your identity has always been. How can we have zero depth at the big, strong white guy position? That's what they recruit.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Fucking Iowa football. Bllllllllaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Reaction score
We’ve focused more on getting better WRs than in past years. We came close on #3 Bell and had missed on RBs like Eno Benjamin and Melvin Gordon. Those guys could have made a huge difference. Just need to get over that hump and keep recruiting guys like Tracy and Goodson.

As long as KF is here tho, Iowa will play ball control offense and rely on defense to win games. It’s who we are, but we’ve evolved a bit in the last few years but we’re clearly missing our two best players that left early.
I have no idea why any elite WR or RB or QB would come here.

If you are an elite TE or OL or DB then a absolutely Iowa is the place to go.
They’re better off at Iowa than Minnesota, Iowa State or Purdue. I’d rather be on a consistent winner. #3 might have been the best player on the field but he’s playing for a 3-7 type team

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Minnesota and and Purdue have better receivers than Iowa though.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Offense would be pretty good if we had Tom Brady running it.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
When do we get Schott back? Not that he's a proven entity or anything but one less Paulsen on the field is fine by me. They seem like good kids.

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Anyways, it didn't matter in the end, but can you imagine if Kirk didn't go for two, Brohm kicked downfield and undoubtedly got the ball back, then Purdue scored a TD?

Lawd Jesus.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Honestly though this is Stanley’s biggest problem. Brady is one of the two best ever at resetting the pocket through good footwork, feeling the rush, and subtle movements. Even on his good scramble and throw to the right sideline, Wirfs completely had leverage on his guy so Nate could have simply hopped up and had two more seconds to throw downfield instead of panicking and sprinting out right. He does little shit like this like wrong 15 times per game. Luckily he has a ridiculous arm. Your first reaction cannot be retreating backwards.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa would be better with better players, but they would be better if the staff just accepted they can't muscleball their opponents.

Run the ball with Goodson out of the gun and Young as a single back.

Don't invite your opponent to stack the box, then run into their teeth.

Never give the ball to Ross, ever.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Honestly though this is Stanley’s biggest problem. Brady is one of the two best ever at resetting the pocket through good footwork, feeling the rush, and subtle movements. Even on his good scramble and throw to the right sideline, Wirfs completely had leverage on his guy so Nate could have simply hopped up and had two more seconds to throw downfield. He does little shit like this like wrong 15 times per game. Your first reaction cannot be retreating backwards.
coaching

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
we have a few LBs but are short at DEs. Wonder if Doyle could put on some weight and play DE?

Bob

Reaction score
It 2015 it looked liked they had started to figure out stuff to work off how much everyone overplayed the outside zone with more misdirection and gap blocking plays and now they hardly do anything but outside zone, and it's even worse because none of the interior guys can consistently make the reach block on the DT and everything gets blown up right away even when Wirfs is driving someone into the fucking dirt

Bob

Reaction score
Iowa would be better with better players, but they would be better if the staff just accepted they can't muscleball their opponents.

I don't think the shotgun run game is really working at all. I know they want to do it so gun doesn't instantly key the defense that it's a pass but when everyone knows Stanley won't keep it's just the exact same stretch play we always run but without giving the RB as much time to get up to speed

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I don't think the shotgun run game is really working at all. I know they want to do it so gun doesn't instantly key the defense that it's a pass but when everyone knows Stanley won't keep it's just the exact same stretch play we always run but without giving the RB as much time to get up to speed
That's fair.

Bob

Reaction score

That's fair.
They could maybe free things up a bit if they try to work in some actual RPOs where Stanley can read the defense after the snap and decide to throw a quick screen or slant but no one did that in 1997 so instead we just let him audible to a flat rout presnap and then pretend that's what everyone means when they talk about RPOs

Reaction score
Stanley completed 2/3 of his passes. Every college quarterback is going to miss some “easy” throws, but unless he changed the call at the line on some of those decisions this isn’t really on Stanley.

He played well enough that with the right play-calling, Iowa’s offense should have been fine today. Stanley wets himself in big games sometimes, but today wasn’t really one of those times.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Minnesota and and Purdue have better receivers than Iowa though.
I’m not arguing that point. I have considered what the Iowa offense would look like with those players. If I’m being honest , it wouldn’t look different. However, Iowa’s receivers would probably flourish in other offensive schemes.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Stanley completed 2/3 of his passes. Every college quarterback is going to miss some “easy” throws, but unless he changed the call at the line on some of those decisions this isn’t really on Stanley.

He played well enough that with the right play-calling, Iowa’s offense should have been fine today. Stanley wets himself in big games sometimes, but today wasn’t really one of those times.
Except the offense called had spots (at least 3 that I saw before leaving) where a receiver was matched up one on one with zero safety help going deep, and Stanley checks down. I’m sure that’s partially coaching, but it’s also on him, and it drives me fucking crazy especially when he’s throwing picks on fucking under routes.

Reaction score
It 2015 it looked liked they had started to figure out stuff to work off how much everyone overplayed the outside zone with more misdirection and gap blocking plays and now they hardly do anything but outside zone, and it's even worse because none of the interior guys can consistently make the reach block on the DT and everything gets blown up right away even when Wirfs is driving someone into the fucking dirt
Backside pursuit has been a problem and LBs don’t really have to worry about the cut block anymore with the new NCAA rules. I recall KF being pretty upset with the interpretation of the new rules but really don’t know how much of a factor that’s been. I think it’s tough to be consistently successful running the hall when you combine our lack of RB quickness (other than Wadley) with the fact that our scheme requires near perfect execution to succeed.

It just feels like teams like Wisconsin (I know they lost) have figured out how to run their zone and not lose the numbers game at the point of attack. It helps to have better RBs than we do though.

This article from 2014 likely applies to this team as well.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/football/2014/9/11/6130137/flipbook-whats-wrong-with-iowas-running-game-part-one

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They were doing a bunch of that pin and pull stuff in 2015, but then a long TD on one of those plays against NDSU got called back for an illegal block and it all got scrapped.

As far as Brian goes, this isn't his fault. This same shit has been happening for twenty years and through three different OCs. At some point, you have to look at the constant, which ain't Brian.

Reaction score
Welsh/Daniels were both held out in ‘16 vs NDSU. Maybe not a huge factor but would have been nice to have had them on the field.

Bob

Reaction score
Backside pursuit has been a problem and LBs don’t really have to worry about the cut block anymore with the new NCAA rules. I recall KF being pretty upset with the interpretation of the new rules but really don’t know how much of a factor that’s been. I think it’s tough to be consistently successful running the hall when you combine our lack of RB quickness (other than Wadley) with the fact that our scheme requires near perfect execution to succeed.

It just feels like teams like Wisconsin (I know they lost) have figured out how to run their zone and not lose the numbers game at the point of attack. It helps to have better RBs than we do though.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/football/2014/9/11/6130137/flipbook-whats-wrong-with-iowas-running-game-part-one
Wisconsin does waaaay more gap blocking than zone and also does quite a bit of misdirection. We just run our one play

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score

Wisconsin does waaaay more gap blocking than zone and also does quite a bit of misdirection. We just run our one play
They also get better interior line play and running back on a consistent basis. Barry Alverez really has been amazing there. Fuck him

Bob

Reaction score
Badgers are great with the false pulls and counters.

It's frustrating because while it might be true that we don't have the same RBs they get, we could absolutely do the same sort of stuff up front and get way better results than we do now. It's not like Oklahoma's offense or something where we just don't have the players for it, we're recruiting the same places they are for the most part.

They were doing a bunch of that pin and pull stuff in 2015, but then a long TD on one of those plays against NDSU got called back for an illegal block and it all got scrapped.

As far as Brian goes, this isn't his fault. This same shit has been happening for twenty years and through three different OCs. At some point, you have to look at the constant, which ain't Brian.
Yeah I'd agree that Kirk, for all the good stuff he does, is definitely the biggest issue with the offense. Brian isn't doing anything to help though and he calls some pretty stupid shit at times even within the limitations of the offense

Reaction score
I agree but they do run a lot of zone concepts, mostly inside zone but they execute it well.

A bit off topic, I was at the game today, so I couldn’t view other games. But anyways, I watched some of Badger replay online. Wow, that was almost criminal to get away from the run game. Their QB/passing game is their Achilles Heel. That loss is on their coaching staff.

The Tin Man

Reaction score

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I don’t know who to be more frustrated with. Stanley is a young person trying hard, but he’s insanely frustrating and literally misses WIDE open guys, kind of a lot. At least he did today as I was sitting in the north end zone. Brian is too fucking cute with things. Makes it harder than it needs to be.
Badgers are great with the false pulls and counters.

It's frustrating because while it might be true that we don't have the same RBs they get, we could absolutely do the same sort of stuff up front and get way better results than we do now. It's not like Oklahoma's offense or something where we just don't have the players for it, we're recruiting the same places they are for the most part.

Yeah I'd agree that Kirk, for all the good stuff he does, is definitely the biggest issue with the offense. Brian isn't doing anything to help though and he calls some pretty stupid shit at times even within the limitations of the offense
Use some shifts and motion in the run game. Figure out a way to collegify the scheme.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Use some shifts and motion in the run game. Figure out a way to collegify the scheme.
Possibly the most creative playcall of the day was the jet sweep motion to freeze the defense on a QB sneak.

Reaction score
It was nice to see Stone returning punts. Nate had a couple of amazing passes, and several mis-fires. D played great outside of the two long passes in the first half. I was in the club seats staying dry and drinking my ass off if you didn’t hear. Bam!

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Stunned to read that the message board theme is that all coaches are dumb fucks (including Phil somehow) and the OC should be fired.
As long as you obviously feel free to misinterpret what's being posted on here, then I will too. I'm stunned to read that you think the OC is doing a great job.

Bob

Reaction score
how much of a coach bootlicker do you have to be to watch them score three touchdowns in three games and somehow still get mad at people for thinking the playcalling might have some issues

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
how much of a coach bootlicker do you have to be to watch them score three touchdowns in three games and somehow still get mad at people for thinking the playcalling might have some issues
You just don’t get it Bob. These things are too complicated for us non coaches to analyze and comment on.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Presumably, they are committed to the zone scheme in the interests of long-term player development. Run the same thing all four or five years they have a kid, and the kid gets good at it.

Worked well a generation ago.

I don't expect the run problem to be solved any time soon.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I hope Brian’s barber stabs him with a pair of scissors