**Official Purdue vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - ESPN2**

Reaction score
It was nice to see Stone returning punts. Nate had a couple of amazing passes, and several mis-fires. D played great outside of the two long passes in the first half. I was in the club seats staying dry and drinking my ass off if you didn’t hear. Bam!

Oh, too good to hang out with the common folk at 707. I see how you are.

Reaction score
It was nice to see Stone returning punts. Nate had a couple of amazing passes, and several mis-fires. D played great outside of the two long passes in the first half. I was in the club seats staying dry and drinking my ass off if you didn’t hear. Bam!

Oh, too good to hang out with the common folk at 707. I see how you are.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
I feel like Jandj knows how emiril is

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Stunned to read that the message board theme is that all coaches are dumb fucks (including Phil somehow) and the OC should be fired.
As long as you obviously feel free to misinterpret what's being posted on here, then I will too. I'm stunned to read that you think the OC is doing a great job.
The OC is doing exactly what the head coach asks of him, like every OC before him.

Last edited:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Stunned to read that the message board theme is that all coaches are dumb fucks (including Phil somehow) and the OC should be fired.
As long as you obviously feel free to misinterpret what's being posted on here, then I will too. I'm stunned to read that you think the OC is doing a great job.
The OC is doing exactly what the head coach asks for me, like every OC before him.
Let's keep pretending this is the same thing as how good he is at doing it.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The OC is doing exactly what the head coach asks for me, like every OC before him.
Well under Brian we average more yards per game and he has a far better winning percentage than his predecessors.

But, football is a game where the sequence of events matters a shitload, so we need to get better at finishing drives in the red zone.

I am not saying he is great by any means, just pretty much what we’ve always had under Kirk because of the style he wants.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

Not one punt touched the ground the other day IIRC. That was a nice change.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Well under Brian we average more yards per game and he has a far better winning percentage than his predecessors.

But, football is a game where the sequence of events matters a shitload, so we need to get better at finishing drives in the red zone.

I am not saying he is great by any means, just pretty much what we’ve always had under Kirk because of the style he wants.
This is my exact complaint. And it isn’t just personnel either. Brian to get better in those spots. I am not advocating firing him, but you have to recognize his contribution here.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
We’ve lost enough games to shitty Purdue teams in recent history that I’ve gotten over the lackluster performance Saturday. On to Northwestern. Fuck Fitz.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Not ready to give up on Brian but I think everyone underestimated the importance of those TE's, especially in red zone. The offense is controlling and moving the ball, they have just had some untimely turnovers and difficulty getting in the end zone. Far more concerning is the continued struggles in the run game. If they can't fix that then they'll never be anything more than a 8 win team.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Their personnel stubbornness bites them in the ass more than anything. They'll rotate the line like nobody's business but Goodson can't be the featured back. It's fucking retarded. This should have been the year that Brian's offense took a bigger leap forward, especially with the wide receiver talent. But then Nate shits himself and the Paulsens play. The tight ends aren't even getting that many targets.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

We could also maybe cool our jets a bit on the pace of our yards/game projection when we've played 4/9 of a Big Ten schedule.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Their personnel stubbornness bites them in the ass more than anything. They'll rotate the line like nobody's business but Goodson can't be the featured back. It's fucking retarded. This should have been the year that Brian's offense took a bigger leap forward, especially with the wide receiver talent. But then Nate shits himself and the Paulsens play. The tight ends aren't even getting that many targets.
What? Goodson Is getting a lot of snaps and a lot of targets.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

We could also maybe cool our jets a bit on the pace of our yards/game projection when we've played 4/9 of a Big Ten schedule.
2/5

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
What? Goodson Is getting a lot of snaps and a lot of targets.
He should be the featured back with more opportunities in the first half to affect the game.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
how did Britt and the other young guard look? Hope they get plenty of snaps vs NW cause we cant roll the Paulsons out vs Wisky

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The TEs are an abomination. One of the true freshman need to play in some fashion. Their lack of blocking should be helped out by the strength of the tackles. The run game is terrible at this point so at least put an extra threat out across the middle, especially in the red zone where the TEs have had so much success the last several years.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The TEs are an abomination. One of the true freshman need to play in some fashion. Their lack of blocking should be helped out by the strength of the tackles. The run game is terrible at this point so at least put an extra threat out across the middle, especially in the red zone where the TEs have had so much success the last several years.
What? No.

Based on what?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
What? No.

Based on what?
Stats.

1.4 receptions and 17.3 yards per game.
3A8158AA-B95C-4617-AB6C-2982407B0D1F.png EE0A9495-6578-4412-9209-0AA1DC728893.png

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Well how many times have they been targeted?

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Wieting looks and plays like a 38 year old ex athlete past his prime.

Bob

Reaction score
What? No.

Based on what?
Stats.

1.4 receptions and 17.3 yards per game.
View attachment 15207 View attachment 15208
NFL players

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol, people just making shit up now.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Stanley struggles with hitting receivers in a position to make a move downfield? It seems like even his good throws are to the back shoulder/behind/too low and the play stops wherever the ball is caught.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
So this "third best yards per game" thing was bugging me so I looked at all of Iowa's seasons going back to 2000 - the oldest year in Sports-Reference's game log data I could get for Iowa, and 1999 was a shitty year anyway.

Yes, they are currently at their 3rd best yards/game average, although some of that is pace. On a per play basis it's the 8th best season:

upload_2019-10-21_14-19-15.png

But like I alluded to above, their schedule so far has 2 non-power 5 opponents out of 7 games, a higher ratio than they'll end the year with. If you look at power 5 games only, it's currently the 12th best season (15th best in yards/play):

upload_2019-10-21_14-20-27.png

Pretty similar if you look at conference games only - currently the 11th best season, 14th in yards/play:

upload_2019-10-21_14-21-4.png

Anyhow, something here could be off, but the main point is that @L. Wade Childress is full of shit.

Hawk4Life25

LIAR and SCUMBAG
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Stanley struggles with hitting receivers in a position to make a move downfield? It seems like even his good throws are to the back shoulder/behind/too low and the play stops wherever the ball is caught.
His footwork looks off.... in the pocket his stance is too wide and it takes too long to reset feet, so he ends up relying on his arm.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
MikeyJoe has weird HaLo spreadsheets.

Reaction score
You would think that if there ever would have been a year where shuffling the OL for half the season would have paid off, it would have been this one.

Instead, you've had guards that look completely clueless because they've been getting moved all over the place all season. If nothing else comes from this season, I hope they finally figure out you need to settle on your OL depth chart after fall camp and not in fucking October.

Bob

Reaction score
You would think that if there ever would have been a year where shuffling the OL for half the season would have paid off, it would have been this one.

Instead, you've had guards that look completely clueless because they've been getting moved all over the place all season. If nothing else comes from this season, I hope they finally figure out you need to settle on your OL depth chart after fall camp and not in fucking October.
I don't think that's really the issue, the Paulsens have never been all that good and they have a freshman center who played a different position all last year. They've had too many recruiting misses on the interior oline and it's showing now

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
You guys are overthinking it. BF is being made to look like shit because we can't block anyone. You're also drooling over Brandon Smith & Ihmir, when the actual fact of the matter is, we are about 6th or 7th in the conference at the position. Better than we've been, yes...but gamebreakers that make opposing defenses shit themselves? No.

We need to get better up front, or we are going to be stuck trying to win games ugly. Hopefully Kallenberger starts improving rapidly, Alaric regains form, & Schott comes back after the bye week. Beyond what you're already seeing...quick passes, screens, fades, & running out of shotgun...there is no other recipe. The other recipe would include a QB like Shea Patterson or the PSU guy that can make things happen when the blocking implodes...but we have fat Nate & that part ain't changing.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
You guys are overthinking it. BF is being made to look like shit because we can't block anyone. You're also drooling over Brandon Smith & Ihmir, when the actual fact of the matter is, we are about 6th or 7th in the conference at the position. Better than we've been, yes...but gamebreakers that make opposing defenses shit themselves? No.

We need to get better up front, or we are going to be stuck trying to win games ugly. Hopefully Kallenberger starts improving rapidly, Alaric regains form, & Schott comes back after the bye week. Beyond what you're already seeing...quick passes, screens, fades, & running out of shotgun...there is no other recipe. The other recipe would include a QB like Shea Patterson or the PSU guy that can make things happen when the blocking implodes...but we have fat Nate & that part ain't changing.
To be clear, that's one of the primary things I'm blaming BF for.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also think people are being slightly shitty in their view of the line. Yeah, the interior sucks, but people are acting like Iowa ignored recruiting guards and doesn't care.

That isn't the case at all. They got unlucky all at once. Multiple guys that looked like they were going to be multi-year starters lost their careers to long term health. Then to start this year Banwart gets hurt, then Jackson gets hurt on the outside barely a few minutes into the game. Schott came in and played really well, but then he gets hurt. Banwart comes back for roughly a game and blows his ACL in practice.

The Paulsens aren't any good, but essentially it shouldn't have mattered and they wouldn't be playing if it wasn't for a bunch or unprecedented bad luck and injuries.

What would be great is if Jackson gets healthy and back on track, Schott comes back, Kallenberger develops as a guard and suddenly they are a lot better to finish the year.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

To be clear, that's one of the primary things I'm blaming BF for.
That's fine, I guess. We've had a ton of bad luck & attrition at the interior OL position. But I understand the need to get angry & blame people (not necessarily you, Mikey, but Iowa fans in general). At Iowa, we exist on the thinnest of margins. If Banwart & Schott were playing & Alaric hadn't been hurt, then I don't think we'd look like this. Last year, Riley Moss was pressed into emergency service & we lost a game or 2 because of it.

We're fine. We're well coached. BF calls the right plays & has the right concepts. Yes, the running game not working over the last 10 years is a bit of a head scratcher & the staff needs to continue to evaluate why that is...but there's not some kind of BF is a retard that can't coach offense thing going on here...which is most of my point.

Last edited:

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I also think people are being slightly shitty in their view of the line. Yeah, the interior sucks, but people are acting like Iowa ignored recruiting guards and doesn't care.

That isn't the case at all. They got unlucky all at once. Multiple guys that looked like they were going to be multi-year starters lost their careers to long term health. Then to start this year Banwart gets hurt, then Jackson gets hurt on the outside barely a few minutes into the game. Schott came in and played really well, but then he gets hurt. Banwart comes back for roughly a game and blows his ACL in practice.

The Paulsens aren't any good, but essentially it shouldn't have mattered and they wouldn't be playing if it wasn't for a bunch or unprecedented bad luck and injuries.

What would be great is if Jackson gets healthy and back on track, Schott comes back, Kallenberger develops as a guard and suddenly they are a lot better to finish the year.

Do we know when that can feasibly happen?