**Official Purdue vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - ABC**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
To be fair to Phil, O’Connell threw a lot of passes off his back foot that usually result in a really bad result for an offense. That deep pass that #8 caught over Terry Roberts rarely happens in most college games. And even though Purdue didn’t really run it a whole lot, they got 3-4 yards consistently on 1st down that put them right where they wanted to be knowing a 6 yard out would be there on 3rd down.

It was through the air rather than on the ground but Purdue basically executed a Kirk Ferentz wet dream of a game. It sucks being on the other side of that for once.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I still think we will win out or drop one and win the West.

We should be in the Big Ten Championship. Get pissed but move on.
We're in a position where we have to win out to win the west. If we lose to Wisconsin, then considering Wisconsin's remaining schedule, Wisconsin probably wins the West. If we lose to Wisconsin, but Wisconsin loses to Purdue, then Wisconsin would still likely win the west. Purdue has a tough remaining schedule.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing is Iowa coaches seem to never realize that Purdue and Northwestern are the teams that can actually beat them at their game of "we dare you to go 12 plays and not make a mistake" if they have the talent or catch the breaks they need. .

Both of those teams get raging boners when they see Iowa across the line in their base 2 deep zone. They can't wait to throw out routes or in most years drag routes across the middle of the field to a WR against a LB and then run it here and there.

Phil seems to never learn that sometimes other coaches might actually figure you out and are hoping you refuse to change. There aren't many, but those 2 teams have his number.

I'm just a dumbfuck sitting in front of a fire down in Texas, but if it were me today I would have gone off the reservation against Purdue. I would have played tight man against Bell with a safety right there to help on every possession. I would have just fucking dared them to let anyone else beat us.

Nah, let's just give the guy who bent us over the last 2 years the fucking game of his life and ruin the confidence of a good CB because refusing to change is so fucking cool.
I know sometimes the harder thing is to not break your norm…but, it seems like Purdue and Bell were a special case, and something different should have been done today. Phil has clearly earned every benefit of every doubt, but I think questions are warranted today. Even with that needing 25 points to win isn’t exactly awful.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Despite how absolutely fucking shitty this whole game was, the "held opposition to 25 or less" streak lives on.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Petras is the least mobile QB I’ve ever seen. Not great for an offense with an already small margin for error
it’s painful to watch. You can be one of immobile, indecisive, and scared and still win. Spencer appeared to be all of them today.

thrawn

Reaction score
We're in a position where we have to win out to win the west. If we lose to Wisconsin, then considering Wisconsin's remaining schedule, Wisconsin probably wins the West. If we lose to Wisconsin, but Wisconsin loses to Purdue, then Wisconsin would still likely win the west. Purdue has a tough remaining schedule.
Minnesota and Purdue are still in contention, but if Iowa beats Wisconsin they could lose another game (or possibly twice, depending on other results) and still win the West.

Reactions: BBK

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
A lot was probably the bad online, but goodson stopping on rushes 5 yards behind the Los and trying to juke rather than getting at least a few positive yards killed then on first downs

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Not this stupid shit again.
Again, as I stated upthread, I’m not saying iowa won’t win another game. I’m just not sure which of the remaining games will be wins ( other than Illinois). The rest could go either way.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
A year away from what?
I had this pegged as kind of a 8-4 developmental year given the youth on both lines with 2022 being a good season due to uptick in recruiting. Just a personal opinion.

I didn’t expect Iowa to go 6-0.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Again, as I stated upthread, I’m not saying iowa won’t win another game. I’m just not sure which of the remaining games will be wins ( other than Illinois). The rest could go either way.
Lol.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
To be fair to Phil, O’Connell threw a lot of passes off his back foot that usually result in a really bad result for an offense. That deep pass that #8 caught over Terry Roberts rarely happens in most college games. And even though Purdue didn’t really run it a whole lot, they got 3-4 yards consistently on 1st down that put them right where they wanted to be knowing a 6 yard out would be there on 3rd down.

It was through the air rather than on the ground but Purdue basically executed a Kirk Ferentz wet dream of a game. It sucks being on the other side of that for once.
Throwing off the back for 300 yards is a bigger indictment on the coverage/scheme than it is an "excuse."

In the 4Q on a 3rd and long, Hankins was 1:1 with Bell and bailed pre-snap. PU needed 8 or so, and Hankins was at least 10 off Bell on that play. Easy 1st down completion.

Just one example of the dumb approach to "covering" Bell today.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Didn’t really have many wins on the D-line today either

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Wisconsin fucking sucks and will probably lose 2 or 3 more games.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also want to say that I think Iowa's defense is PISSED after today and they will get healthy in the next 2 weeks and pound the shit out of Mertz and Wisconsin. They don't have what it takes to beat Iowa or challenge their defense. Expect that game to be like 31-10.

Reactions: BBK

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Yep, the fact remains that this horrendous loss today has changed winning the west from a sure thing to a very iffy proposition.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
They’re still winning the west. The west isn’t very good.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I also want to say that I think Iowa's defense is PISSED after today and they will get healthy in the next 2 weeks and pound the shit out of Mertz and Wisconsin. They don't have what it takes to beat Iowa or challenge their defense. Expect that game to be like 31-10.
I’m not sure Iowa can score more than 20 on Wisconsin

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I remember on Tuesday Kirk got real snippy with a question about Purdue’s success against them. I figured that meant he was actually going to show up with a game plan today…

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It is important to note that we really didn't learn anything new about Iowa today.

We knew the offense sucked and Petras was looking up at average. We knew Iowa could have a big gainer from a dynamic freshman then forget about him for nearly the rest of the game. They don't have enough weapons, and when they do have one they don't exploit it.

The weaknesses of this team were always on display, they just didn't get bailed out this week.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Petras is a better QB out of shotgun but Iowa’s run game is much better from under center with Pottebaum behind him.

It seems they’ve run a lot more pass plays from under center this year and I wonder if it has to do with his happy feet. When he has to take a 5-7 step drop it allows the routes more time to develop rather than snapping him the ball, he doesn’t see what he likes right away and panics.

Also, it appears Yelverton is currently the 5th TE behind a walkon unless he’s injured.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Petras is a better QB out of shotgun but Iowa’s run game is much better from under center with Pottebaum behind him.

It seems they’ve run a lot more pass plays from under center this year and I wonder if it has to do with his happy feet. When he has to take a 5-7 step drop it allows the routes more time to develop rather than snapping him the ball, he doesn’t see what he likes right away and panics.

Also, it appears Yelverton is currently the 5th TE behind a walkon unless he’s injured.
Meh. Not sure about Petras out of the gun vs under center. Don't see a discernible difference. He's average/below average either way....

I cannot figure out why Iowa cannot punish the teams sending their LB's with their ears' pinned. Teams have no fear of the deep ball or middle depth against Iowa. Between the hash from 15-20 doesnt exist. Its like Greg Davis never left.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They’re still winning the west. The west isn’t very good.
I actually think the team most likely to win the West other than us would be ... wait for it ... Minnesota.

They only have one BIG loss and their remaining schedule is fairly easy other than coming to Kinnick. Now, I don't see us losing that one but it might be for the BIG West crown.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I’ve been flipping through games this evening and every single QB I’ve seen is better than Spencer.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I thought Yelverton was going to be a stud and better than any of the current TE's from his tape in HS, but he must fucking blow.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Jokes about it during the game, but Iowa's best offense might have been running pottebaum 20 times in a row

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I want Iowa to win the west because it‘s their division. If they make the title game and lose, who gives a fuck. Would you rather finish in 2nd place to avoid a loss to Ohio State?
No, I think what JR is saying is that he would rather win the west, because that would probably put us in the Rose Bowl, assuming we'd probably lose to Ohio State in Indianapolis. In other words, according to JR, our goal right now should be to at least get to the Rose Bowl.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I thought Yelverton was going to be a stud and better than any of the current TE's from his tape in HS, but he must fucking blow.
I know people assume our TE's are always good but they kinda suck right now. As for Yelverton, I have heard he's a bit slow (physically speaking).

thrawn

Reaction score
No, I think what JR is saying is that he would rather win the west, because that would probably put us in the Rose Bowl, assuming we'd probably lose to Ohio State in Indianapolis. In other words, according to JR, our goal right now should be to at least get to the Rose Bowl.
He’s asking why people want to win the west, which is the dumbest sports question ever asked.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
LaPorta has been underwhelming, especially with blocking. Little separation on routes as well.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I know people assume our TE's are always good but they kinda suck right now. As for Yelverton, I have heard he's a bit slow (physically speaking).
This is dumb. LaPorta and Lachey are really good. They don't suck at all.