**Official Purdue vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - ABC**

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
This is the same head coach who once punted from Hail Mary range against Purdue
He did the same thing against Ohio State in Columbus in 2009. Iowa had the ball on about its own 40 with only a couple of seconds left in a tie game. Instead of going for the win with a Hail Mary on the last play of the game, Iowa punted, sending the game into overtime, which Iowa lost.

Reaction score
He did the same thing against Ohio State in Columbus in 2009. Iowa had the ball on about its own 40 with only a couple of seconds left in a tie game. Instead of going for the win with a Hail Mary on the last play of the game, Iowa punted, sending the game into overtime, which Iowa lost.
No they sat on the ball around the 35 with 50 seconds left and went to OT, which is even worse

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
No they sat on the ball around the 35 with 50 seconds left and went to OT, which is even worse
Yep, you're right. And I think Ferentz's excuse was he was afraid of a turnover.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I haven't thought about this game all week, but with college football on today and Iowa having a bye, holy shit the fucking hubris of Phil Parker last week.

He actually let David Bell fucking torch his team yet again, and this time worse than ever. 11 catches and 240 yards. Never even attempted to adjust, just let him run wild.

Same thing with Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz. Walked in like they could just do the same thing as always and Purdue was not only ready for it but they used it to shove it down their throats. They were even ready for the QB sneak and sold out on it.

What a fucking abomination that was completely avoidable.

douglasbader

Reaction score
David Bell has had double digit catches 6 times in his career.

3 of them are against Iowa.

David Bell has never had more than 138 yards against any team. Except Iowa, where he has a 197 yard and 240 yard game.

Lolz. To make it worse, it came down to him picking Iowa vs. Purdue in recruiting.

Whoops.

douglasbader

Reaction score
David Bell is also known as Phil Parker's Daddy.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
David Bell has had double digit catches 6 times in his career.

3 of them are against Iowa.

David Bell has never had more than 138 yards against any team. Except Iowa, where he has a 197 yard and 240 yard game.

Lolz. To make it worse, it came down to him picking Iowa vs. Purdue in recruiting.

Whoops.
Is it pride? How could one be so stupid to not make a single adjustment as you’re getting completely embarrassed?

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
The arrogance in pass protection continues

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Yea it really fucking sucked, and mostly because everyone but the coaching staff knew exactly how Purdue was as going to beat Iowa. That or maybe the Hawks were fools gold all along.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Read the thread. This OL is Iowa's biggest issue.
I still contend it’s the intersection of three issues: a shitty OLine, a shitty QB, and a….simple….O Coordinator that can’t make adjustments when those two spots are struggling to execute cornerstones of the typical offense

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
I don’t know how you can even talk about the play caller or QB when that shit is going on. You have no chance.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t know how you can even talk about the play caller or QB when that shit is going on. You have no chance.
Somewhat, but you have to adjust. Run a bunch more slants and screens. Get the ball on the edge with tosses to Goodson. Long developing plays aren't going to cut it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I mean, why can't we do what other teams do sometimes? Get a bunch of quick passes to the boundry in the hands of Johnson, Bruce, Jones and let them break plays.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I still contend it’s the intersection of three issues: a shitty OLine, a shitty QB, and a….simple….O Coordinator that can’t make adjustments when those two spots are struggling to execute cornerstones of the typical offense
No adjustments can be made when the oline can’t block and qb isn’t trusted, nor athletic enough to do much out of the pocket. I’m hopeful the qb is getting better. I’m confident the oline will be better.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Seriously? You think a team has never had to figure out how to win games with a shitty OLine?

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
No adjustments can be made when the oline can’t block and qb isn’t trusted, nor athletic enough to do much out of the pocket. I’m hopeful the qb is getting better. I’m confident the oline will be better.
This is where I get a little harder on the staff. There is zero excuse for shitty OLine play…in Iowa…under Kirk Ferentz

Secondly, if that IS somehow the case…then you simply can’t put an immovable statue in the pocket.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Also, I’m guessing this is the worst blocking OLine and TE combo we’ve had in a long time. That’s probably a bigger deal than we think; when you can’t ask a TE to help out a struggling OT

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
In my life I don’t remember Iowa ever fundamentally changing who they are as an “adjustment.”
You don’t think we adjusted in years where we had 9 running backs injured?

what about the bowl game win vs Miss State when they figured out how to win a game with like 13 yards rushing?

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I agree fully. It’s a failure of recruiting.
Agree. And I’m 9000 times harder on adults getting paid quite well to do this than I ever will be on kids playing a game.

man’s for the record, I’m not angry, just annoyed at the dumb excuses that get made.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Seriously? You think a team has never had to figure out how to win games with a shitty OLine?

what about the bowl game win vs Miss State when they figured out how to win a game with like 13 yards rushing?
They’re 5-1. They’ve figured out how to win some games.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score

Great examples, but Drew Tate ain’t walking through that door. although I’d about kill for an effective change like those!

To me it appears what Spence does best is throw deep, the oline can’t get it done for that. And he throws short balls roughly a billion mph.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I agree fully. It’s a failure of recruiting.
This is fucking silly and isn't a failure of recruiting, it is a failure of timing. The line is extremely young but very talented. I mean, have people forgot they lost both starting tackles and one of them unexpectedly? They fully expected Kallenberger to be here this year, and he shocked them by essentially retiring from football.

Iowa is starting a couple of Freshmen and a Sophomore. Linderbaum is an anchor and the other starting Guard is an oft-injured former walk on. They have multiple Freshman and Sophomores in the immediate 2 Deeps.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
I do think they were hungover from the best scene in Kinnick I’ve ever experienced.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
This is fucking silly and isn't a failure of recruiting, it is a failure of timing. The line is extremely young but very talented. I mean, have people forgot they lost both starting tackles and one of them unexpectedly? They fully expected Kallenberger to be here this year, and he shocked them by essentially retiring from football.

Iowa is starting a couple of Freshmen and a Sophomore. Linderbaum is an anchor and the other starting Guard is an oft-injured former walk on. They have multiple Freshman and Sophomores in the immediate 2 Deeps.
Now do the quarterback position.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't know much, but I do know Johnson gets open, catches the ball, and breaks tackles. After his 38 yard reception on the first play from scrimmage, he played 15 more snaps against Purdue. That's inexcusable.
There are more than a few of us that have been screaming this from the first game when it was painfully apparent that the combination of Tracy / Ragani / Jones / Ritter might be ok, but none of them are game breakers at the WR position. The first time Johnson and Bruce stepped on the field you could tell they just have something different and the ability to break huge plays and either get or set you up for easy scores.

Brian has to stop fucking around and get them more involved.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Anyways, this (hopefully) was the game where Iowa's coaching staff got a little too full of themselves because of how the previous 6 games went for them.

It seems we have a game like this and they do actually make changes and get re-focused on what they need to do. I'm glad they had a bye week to sit around and think about it and a hated rival coming up.

I don't want to say they overlook Purdue, but I think they clearly did.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Anyways, this (hopefully) was the game where Iowa's coaching staff got a little too full of themselves because of how the previous 6 games went for them.

It seems we have a game like this and they do actually make changes and get re-focused on what they need to do. I'm glad they had a bye week to sit around and think about it and a hated rival coming up.

What's the O/U on how many more posts you're going to make today about a game that was over 7 days ago? I think it's 30

Pedro

Athletic Lumberjack
Reaction score
This has been my most frustrating realization from that game. I don't know what practice was like that week, but this team was clearly not prepared to handle Purdue. I do not expect such things from this coaching staff.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
If you believe in let down/trap games this was the definition of it and the team played like it. The biggest surprise it was it happened at Kinnick.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Also, I’m guessing this is the worst blocking OLine and TE combo we’ve had in a long time. That’s probably a bigger deal than we think; when you can’t ask a TE to help out a struggling OT
I’m not even sure they tried to have a TE stay in to help. It was the offense’s version of letting their best player beat them. Just like the D did with Bell. It was frustrating every play that he was always 1 on 1.
And on homecoming
College kids don’t give a shit about homecoming. Neither do most adults.

Reaction score
Bad matchup for us. We’re susceptible to teams that can execute the passing game (especially if no pass rush)and keep the chains moving. They didn’t make a lot of mistakes offensively and PI penalties helped them sustain a couple drives.

Our offense has some glaring weaknesses up front and facing a high 1st round pick at DE, deep in our own territory on obvious passing downs isn’t a good situation to be in. Flush it and move on.