**Official Rutgers vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - FS1**

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa played a ton of offensive lineman. Wirfs was moving from LT to RT quite a bit to get some looks at other guys.

I’m more concerned about FS and the lack of rotation on the defensive line. They haven’t needed it yet but they will.
Yeah it's concerning they haven't found any other DEs they like. They've been fortunate to have two games where they didn't really have many total defensive snaps but they're gonna run AJ and Gholston into the ground if they can't find at least one other guy they feel good about there.
And these 2 games were the games to see if you have anyone else and they still didn’t play.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Today was Stanley's 10th career game with 3+ passing TD, now the most of any QB under Ferentz.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
And I was a little skeptical on ISM as a WR going into this season. I thought his ceiling was being an All-Big Ten returner but a little blah WR but he has done some things really well so far at WR (plus the coaches have put him in good spots to utilize his speed at the WR position).

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
Goodsen is really good
Guards struggled at times, #96 or #95 was getting through the gap easily at times
Stanley does miss some easy throws, but, he makes great throws as well. He had all day back there
Secondary looks good, Geno is going to be a stud
Kallenburger buried #22 later in the game. #22 had 4 penalties I believe. Liked to talk
Shutting out a Big 10 team with that field position is quite the accomplishment. Good pressure on the QB, who makes Stanley look accurate
Guards struggling and Lima next week doesn't bode well for running game.
Good test next week. Accurate QB will test our defense and ISU pass rush will test the oline. Hopefully Stanley will hold up vs pressure.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
This Iowa team is very good. The fact there is any nitpicking about this game is laughable. No matter how shitty Rutgers is (shitty), a shutout in an early Big Ten game, is really incredible. Usually Iowa is busy laying an egg in this type of game, at this time of the season.

That may be the worst field position Iowa has dealt with in a long time.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Rutgers had some decent showings last year. I don't know how, but they did. It seems like it should be impossible to lay an egg against them.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
The only complaint I have is I hope the DBs tighten coverage and the running Sargent keeps improving.

Bob

Reaction score
Can we stop with the fade to the boundary?
It's pretty good if the other team is going to commit pass interference on every play.

They don't know if Smith only knows how to run two routes of it they just don't have any idea what to do with him beyond "hey he's tall, let's throw a bunch of fades at him!" It's great in the redzone but he feels like a one trick pony at times. He has a lot of good will built up with the staff so it'll be hard to do, but I wouldn't mind seeing Martin and Tracy start eating into his non-redzone snaps a bit.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
And I was a little skeptical on ISM as a WR going into this season. I thought his ceiling was being an All-Big Ten returner but a little blah WR but he has done some things really well so far at WR (plus the coaches have put him in good spots to utilize his speed at the WR position).
His acceleration is something else. I’d love to see him catching more in space on crossing routes over the middle. It doesn’t appear we are getting much out of TE which is ok but they need one of the WR to consistently run the routes hock and fant have over the last few years

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
His acceleration is something else. I’d love to see him catching more in space on crossing routes over the middle. It doesn’t appear we are getting much out of TE which is ok but they need one of the WR to consistently run the routes hock and fant have over the last few years
It seems like it's typical early season Iowa. Hide some part of the offensive, and then use it a ton. I don't think there were any passes to the TE?

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
It seems like it's typical early season Iowa. Hide some part of the offensive, and then use it a ton. I don't think there were any passes to the TE?
Beyer got at least one target.

Bob

Reaction score
Wieting got one tossed at his feet too.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I will say it again and again, teams that don't throw down the field at least 10+ times per game are insane. Iowa was brilliant with it yesterday and Stanley is the perfect QB for it. He almost never throws a deep ball that is in danger of being intercepted. He is wildly inaccurate sometimes, but it is as safe of a throw as you can get and the chances are you are either going to get a huge gain, a penalty or a harmless incompletion.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Wieting got one tossed at his feet too.
Beyer would have had a catch at the end of the first quarter but the refs allowed a Rutgers defender to jump on his back early and rape him.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Is Amani Jones our every down DE3?

Who played at the end there on DL? I saw a 97, I think.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
CSB on the way:

I was so pumped up for the game that on Friday I made an attempt to listen to the On Iowa podcast. The first complaint is that it was 2 fucking hours long. They were giving so much useless information in the first 15 minutes. They also trip over their own dicks so hard trying to sound super savvy with the (paraphrasing) “they ran 20% of plays out of 22, and 30% out of 11”. That shit is worse than referring to X position group as a “room”.

From what I’ve gathered, that is consistently the best Hawkeye football podcast there is, and it is fucking terrible. I don’t know how anyone can listen to that shit.

I trust when AZ’s b-ball podcast goes live, he’ll keep things concise.

Gushawk

Reaction score
The national college football pods (Solid Verbal, Athlon, The Audible) are considerably more entertaining, imo.

The most unlistenable Iowa pod probably is Howe and Colin Cole’s new one, primarily due to Howe.

Revolver

Reaction score
The national college football pods (Solid Verbal, Athlon, The Audible) are considerably more entertaining, imo.

The most unlistenable Iowa pod probably is Howe and Colin Cole’s new one, primarily due to Howe.
I have heard the same thing.

Bob

Reaction score

Jones is only playing a tiny handful of 3rd and long snaps a game at DE, he's definitely not someone they'd have playing every down. And even when they've done that AJ has been at the other end and Chauncey bumps inside to tackle so they aren't even giving them a rest.

Revolver

Reaction score

Jones is only playing a tiny handful of 3rd and long snaps a game at DE, he's definitely not someone they'd have playing every down. And even when they've done that AJ has been at the other end and Chauncey bumps inside to tackle so they aren't even giving them a rest.
Seems like it is Jones, Gholston, Nixon and AJ on every third down.

Gushawk

Reaction score
We have been getting off the field, but some rotation of DEs on the first unit seems like it would have been a good idea.

I guess it’s Waggoner and Vanvalkenberg, but I have no idea what we have there. Hopefully at least a Mike Hardy type edge setter.

Reaction score
Solid Verbal, Podcast Ain't Played Nobody, and Cover 3 are the three CFB pods I like the most. They're all predominantly focused on the national scene, obviously.

There isn't a great Iowa Football podcast. OnIowa is probably the best, but they ramble way too much. I don't mind Leistikow, but Ross is annoying af to listen to on Hawkcentral. There's Miller/Deace, but that's annoying for obvious reasons. They all have drawbacks.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Van Valkenberg played yesterday and looked good.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Solid Verbal, Podcast Ain't Played Nobody, and Cover 3 are the three CFB pods I like the most. They're all predominantly focused on the national scene, obviously.

There isn't a great Iowa Football podcast. OnIowa is probably the best, but they ramble way too much. I don't mind Leistikow, but Ross is annoying af to listen to on Hawkcentral. There's Miller/Deace, but that's annoying for obvious reasons. They all have drawbacks.
PAPN without Connelly isn’t nearly as good, imo

Bob

Reaction score

PAPN without Connelly isn’t nearly as good, imo
I don't mind the Richard Johnson parts for the most part but Bud Elliot sucks. Either way it's not as good without Bill C though.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
The MSU guy who had a meltdown after the outback bowl last year now hosts the barstool CFB podcast. It’s alright

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

His footwork is vastly improved from last year.

He looks like a guy that actually learned to play WR rather than just be a great athlete

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I said it last week, but I fucking love watching Amani Jones play special teams. Pure joy.

Bob

Reaction score
I said it last week, but I fucking love watching Amani Jones play special teams. Pure joy.
You can tell the rest of the team loves him too, everyone loses their shit when he does something. It's cool he's been able to rebound as well has he has from being benched.

Reaction score
You can tell the rest of the team loves him too, everyone loses their shit when he does something. It's cool he's been able to rebound as well has he has from being benched.
The coaches liked him so much they basically created a new position for him to play. I can't think of a higher compliment a coach could give a player's work ethic and character.

thrawn

Reaction score
I will say it again and again, teams that don't throw down the field at least 10+ times per game are insane. Iowa was brilliant with it yesterday and Stanley is the perfect QB for it. He almost never throws a deep ball that is in danger of being intercepted. He is wildly inaccurate sometimes, but it is as safe of a throw as you can get and the chances are you are either going to get a huge gain, a penalty or a harmless incompletion.

douglasbader

Reaction score
2. Two. TWO?!
That 2016 year was the most atrocious group of receivers I have ever seen, and fuck Greg and Bobby (and Kirk) for doing that to Beathard.

Iowa should fucking shatter those numbers this year if they have a brain in their head. Anything less than 20 would be a failure.

thrawn

Reaction score
2. Two. TWO?!
That 2016 year was the most atrocious group of receivers I have ever seen, and fuck Greg and Bobby (and Kirk) for doing that to Beathard.

Iowa should fucking shatter those numbers this year if they have a brain in their head. Anything less than 20 would be a failure.
Catches:

McCarron 42
Wadley (RB) 36
Jerminic Smith 23
Kittle (TE) 22
VandeBerg (medical redshirt) 19

douglasbader

Reaction score
2. Two. TWO?!

Catches:

McCarron 42
Wadley (RB) 36
Jerminic Smith 23
Kittle (TE) 22
VandeBerg (medical redshirt) 19
Jerminic Smith. Transfered to a Division II school in Dallas for his Junior year, appears to not have played anywhere his Senior year and is now with the Ottawa Redbacks of the CFL.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
So 4 guys that were paid to play football after college, plus a quality college WR in VandeBerg? The horror.

I think the bigger problem was in the booth.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
So 4 guys that were paid to play football after college, plus a quality college WR in VandeBerg? The horror.

Don’t forget Bobby Kennedy. That is how I know to sell Stanford stock.

douglasbader

Reaction score

McCarron and Smith were really the only 2 options for much of the season. Kittle was banged up and Vandeberg only played a couple of games.

Smith was terrible. He's playing in Canada because you can be fast and play there.