**Official Rutgers vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11am - FS1**

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Feel good about Rutgers chances to defeat Iowa for the following reasons:
  • Rutgers has similar talent
I was surprised to see this myself, but if you look at team recruiting rankings, Rutgers recruits roughly in the same ballpark as Iowa, excluding the 2016 class, which was abbreviated for Rutgers due to a coaching change. They’re not Michigan, They’re not Penn State, but what what they are is a solid blue collar team that develops under rated recruits into top notch performers who generally don’t make mistakes, and execute at a high level, for the most part.
  • Rutgers players are more explosive
What Iowa is lacking is the number of explosive players that Rutgers has, because New Jersey produces better athletes than Iowa. While Iowa has 1 Ihmir Marsette, Rutgers is filled withMarsettes. Rutgers has three players capable of taking the ball to the house on any given play:
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton
Pacheco had 142 yards rushing last year vs Michigan, and Blackshear had 102 yards rushing vs Penn State last year. Both will have a decent shot at topping the century mark vs Iowa, simply because Iowa doesn’t have the talent of the aforementioned teams.
  • Rutgers has competitive QB play
If this were last year, Rutgers would likely be blown out. But with his 340 yard passing performance, ability to evade the rush, and penchant for buying time and finding open receivers vs UMass, McClain Carter has served notice that Rutgers is going to be competitive this year. Had Carter played for Rutgers last year, we would’ve had a decent chance of beating Penn State and Michigan State last year. This year, Carter gives us a decent chance of defeating everyone on the schedule, save Ohio State and Michigan, whose talent is leagues better than ours.

I noted that Iowa had 1 Sack vs Miami last week. As long as Rutgers can hold Iowa to a similar total, literally and figuratively, Carter should have a career day vs Iowa.

• Rutgers has size in the WR Corp
A key difference from last year, some of Rutgers receivers tower over their Iowa counterparts.
6-3 Daevon Robinson, 6-3 Isaiah Washington, 6-4 Stanley King, and 6-5 Jalon Jordan each could get their opportunity to shine vs Iowa.

• Rutgers Corners have NFL futures
Avery Young and Damon Hayes could be the best cover corner combo in the Big Ten. Hayes should be playing Sundays next year, and Young will get his shot the year after, should he choose to take it.
Both held their Umass counterparts to minimal productivity last week, and I see no reason why they can’t do the same to Iowa.

Here are the keys to a Rutgers Victory

• Avoid Turnovers- if we turn the ball over, it’s going to be blowout city, in favor of Iowa
  • Match Iowa’s level of execution
  • Run the ball and stop the run- Rutgers LBers must maintain gap integrity. Huge issue for us in Q1 last week, but the. Things settled down. I think we should be fine this week.
That said, I’m expecting a heck of a game with Rutgers barely prevailing. The first major upset of the ChriscAsh era:

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
CID Sports post in that thread is equally as bad.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
They looked damn good overall, but that was a shitty team with a terrible set of QB's. I saw way too many open receivers that the DB's aren't reacting to quick enough and if it were a QB with any accuracy it would have been way more of a challenge.

Fat Nate is playing well, but fuck he still needs to clean up the deep throws. He missed a couple WIDE OPEN touchdowns that have to be made against good teams. Can't keep leaving points on the field.

That is the negative stuff. The positive is that the RB's are playing well, both lines are solid, WR and TE's are weapons all over the field. Sleep-Dalton was exactly what Iowa needed as

Should have scored 50+ today but Iowa pulled their foot off the gas and they were buried inside of the 10 yard line half the game with that ridiculous punter. That guy was the best player on Rutgers.

Reaction score
I was surprised to see this myself, but if you look at team recruiting rankings, Rutgers recruits roughly in the same ballpark as Iowa, excluding the 2016 class, which was abbreviated for Rutgers due to a coaching change. They’re not Michigan, They’re not Penn State, but what what they are is a solid blue collar team that develops under rated recruits into top notch performers who generally don’t make mistakes, and execute at a high level, for the most part.
What Iowa is lacking is the number of explosive players that Rutgers has, because New Jersey produces better athletes than Iowa. While Iowa has 1 Ihmir Marsette, Rutgers is filled withMarsettes. Rutgers has three players capable of taking the ball to the house on any given play:
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton
Pacheco had 142 yards rushing last year vs Michigan, and Blackshear had 102 yards rushing vs Penn State last year. Both will have a decent shot at topping the century mark vs Iowa, simply because Iowa doesn’t have the talent of the aforementioned teams.
If this were last year, Rutgers would likely be blown out. But with his 340 yard passing performance, ability to evade the rush, and penchant for buying time and finding open receivers vs UMass, McClain Carter has served notice that Rutgers is going to be competitive this year. Had Carter played for Rutgers last year, we would’ve had a decent chance of beating Penn State and Michigan State last year. This year, Carter gives us a decent chance of defeating everyone on the schedule, save Ohio State and Michigan, whose talent is leagues better than ours.

I noted that Iowa had 1 Sack vs Miami last week. As long as Rutgers can hold Iowa to a similar total, literally and figuratively, Carter should have a career day vs Iowa.

A key difference from last year, some of Rutgers receivers tower over their Iowa counterparts.
6-3 Daevon Robinson, 6-3 Isaiah Washington, 6-4 Stanley King, and 6-5 Jalon Jordan each could get their opportunity to shine vs Iowa.

Avery Young and Damon Hayes could be the best cover corner combo in the Big Ten. Hayes should be playing Sundays next year, and Young will get his shot the year after, should he choose to take it.
Both held their Umass counterparts to minimal productivity last week, and I see no reason why they can’t do the same to Iowa.

• Avoid Turnovers- if we turn the ball over, it’s going to be blowout city, in favor of Iowa
  • Run the ball and stop the run- Rutgers LBers must maintain gap integrity. Huge issue for us in Q1 last week, but the. Things settled down. I think we should be fine this week.
That said, I’m expecting a heck of a game with Rutgers barely prevailing. The first major upset of the ChriscAsh era:

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
Whoever posted this should be getting lit the fuck up.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
I’m assuming that person is on the inferior site where folks won’t be allowed to call him/her out the way he/she should be called out. Sometimes you need to be able to call someone a dumbfuck. And that, my friends, is why there will never be another Hawkeye message board on par with Halo.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
Whoever posted this should be getting lit on fire, literally.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Stanley looked good and way ahead of Qb2 at this point

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
I’m assuming that person is on the inferior site where folks won’t be allowed to call him/her out the way he/she should be called out. Sometimes you need to be able to call someone a dumbfuck. And that, my friends, is why there will never be another Hawkeye message board on par with Halo.
Rutgers Rivals site. He’s apparently their version of cid

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Fuck it. I’m drunk and sunburnt, James. Go Hawks!

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Fuck it. I’m drunk and sunburnt, James. Go Hawks!
I like your style.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
He left out one bullet:

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24
He left out one bullet:

whats great is all the posts postgame calling for a 2 win season

Bob

Reaction score
I dunno if the Rutgers punter is the best individual football performance I've seen in person but it's definitely, like, top five. There were so many good Iowa things in that game and the dumb punts are all I can think about. That game should have been like 60-0.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
No doubt. He put Iowa in tough spots a good portion of the game. He was their one bright spot.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
  • Raheem Blackshear
  • Isaiah Pacheco
  • Bo Melton

• Rutgers 27
  • Iowa 24

CamelTones

Reaction score
The running back usage was odd today. IKM sorta played then didn’t at all.

Reaction score
Goodsen is really good
Guards struggled at times, #96 or #95 was getting through the gap easily at times
Stanley does miss some easy throws, but, he makes great throws as well. He had all day back there
Secondary looks good, Geno is going to be a stud
Kallenburger buried #22 later in the game. #22 had 4 penalties I believe. Liked to talk
Shutting out a Big 10 team with that field position is quite the accomplishment. Good pressure on the QB, who makes Stanley look accurate

Reaction score
Goodsen is really good
Guards struggled at times, #96 or #95 was getting through the gap easily at times
Stanley does miss some easy throws, but, he makes great throws as well. He had all day back there
Kallenburger buried #22 later in the game. #22 had 4 penalties I believe. Liked to talk
Shutting out a Big 10 team with that field position is quite the accomplishment. Good pressure on the QB, who makes Stanley look accurate
Geno has been a stud for a while now, he balled out last year and was clearly the best returning player in the back 7 this year. His “off” game against Miami was better than most college safeties in their good games.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Goodsen is really good
Guards struggling and Lima next week doesn't bode well for running game.

Bob

Reaction score
I thought the guards were fine overall and genuinely really good in pass protection. Stanley had all day to throw for basically the entire game.

The run game sucked early but they were buried in really obvious run situations for a big chunk of the game and also kept called the exact same shutgun outside zone over and over for most of the first half even though Rutgers was clearly ready for it. They did a better job later mixing in different runs and calling some more constraint plays to punish them for overplaying the zone. They wound up at about 200 yards rushing at 5 ypc, which is pretty good.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I thought the guards were fine overall and genuinely really good in pass protection. Stanley had all day to throw for basically the entire game.

The run game sucked early but they were buried in really obvious run situations for a big chunk of the game and also kept called the exact same shutgun outside zone over and over for most of the first half even though Rutgers was clearly ready for it. They did a better job later mixing in different runs and calling some more constraint plays to punish them for overplaying the zone. They wound up at about 200 yards rushing at 5 ypc, which is pretty good.
The situation for most of the first half was just bizarre. Haven’t seen it in an Iowa game before, that I can recall.

Reaction score
The running back usage was odd today. IKM sorta played then didn’t at all.
Guessing it's just situational. He's a good receiver and pass protector but apparently behind the others as a runner or overall. Got him a play to his strengths.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Iowa played a ton of offensive lineman. Wirfs was moving from LT to RT quite a bit to get some looks at other guys.

I’m more concerned about FS and the lack of rotation on the defensive line. They haven’t needed it yet but they will.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Stanley’s first TD pass was amazing.

I said it in chat but on the reverse, they moved Wirfs to RT for one play.

Interior OL did great on run (multiple pancakes from Linderbaum and Schott) but were a little shaky on Pass D

Sargent should always be in on obvious passing downs. He can catch well and is the best at blitz pickup.

Bob

Reaction score
Iowa played a ton of offensive lineman. Wirfs was moving from LT to RT quite a bit to get some looks at other guys.

I’m more concerned about FS and the lack of rotation on the defensive line. They haven’t needed it yet but they will.
Yeah it's concerning they haven't found any other DEs they like. They've been fortunate to have two games where they didn't really have many total defensive snaps but they're gonna run AJ and Gholston into the ground if they can't find at least one other guy they feel good about there.