**Official South Dakota State vs. Iowa Football Thread - 11:00am - FS1**

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Also fuck LaPorta for thinking he and our offense are good enough for anyone not to compete for the entirety of a play.

Last edited:

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I think Peaches is a pussy of the first order but holy shit - it’s fucking cruel at this point to not make a change. CFB media tends to not go too hard on individual players because they’re arguably amateurs (not so much now) but people are dunking on him across all of the major outlets. Things got so bad last year to the point where his mom took up his defense. That was absolutely nothing compared to how bad it is right now. And they won. It’ll be 1000x worse if he shits the bed against ISU.

QB is a fucking hard position under ideal circumstances and confidence is probably important. Right now, he has none. Zero. He’s like Steve Sax-level mentally fucked. He can’t even check down. No pass is an easy pass and he’s going to be tight as shit going into the Clones game.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I think Peaches is a pussy of the first order but holy shit - it’s fucking cruel at this point to not make a change. CFB media tends to not go too hard on individual players because they’re arguably amateurs (not so much now) but people are dunking on him across all of the major outlets. Things got so bad last year to the point where his mom took up his defense. That was absolutely nothing compared to how bad it is right now. And they won. It’ll be 1000x worse if he shits the bed against ISU.

QB is a fucking hard position under ideal circumstances and confidence is probably important. Right now, he has none. Zero. He’s like Steve Sax-level mentally fucked. He can’t even check down. No pass is an easy pass and he’s going to be tight as shit going into the Clones game.
Mentally he’s always struggled, it’s a shame that for the Ferentz’s it takes a physical injury for him not to play.

pjhawk

I am a giant douche
Reaction score
I know it’s been said a few times already, but it’s hard to shit on Brian too much today when Petrus couldn’t complete even the simplest of passes. I think he had no real other choice than to keep the offense pretty blah and lean on the defense. I still think Brian sucks and is in over his head as an OC, but will cut him some slack today.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Can’t remember which throw it was in the first quarter, but the moment he missed it, reality should have set in for everyone on that sideline. The groan from the crowd was noticeable.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Anyone wanna come throw up with me? Take a look at some advanced metrics and see how last season the offense lost scoring value and ranked in the 115 range in pretty much all advanced categories. Hasn’t updated for this year yet, can’t wait for that.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Not discussed enough….our punt returns were fucking AWFUL yesterday. This version of the Iowa Football team can not handle that. Charlie’s returns and the field position in gave us last year we’re probably worth 1.5 wins
True, however the first half proved that field position doesn’t matter for the 2022 Hawkeye offense.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Not discussed enough….our punt returns were fucking AWFUL yesterday. This version of the Iowa Football team can not handle that. Charlie’s returns and the field position in gave us last year we’re probably worth 1.5 wins
Pretty far down the list of things I’m worried about. They’re punter was awful and highly inconsistent. Couple times we didn’t block the gunners well, but that can be cleaned up.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Its highly likely there are players reviewing tape right now.
Sundays. Thursday is their day off. Reason being they get Thursday off, Friday is just a walk through so it basically gives their bodies 2 days off before the game. Their off day used to be Monday.

Sunday they review the film then that concludes their 24 hours and they move on to the next game.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Can’t remember which throw it was in the first quarter, but the moment he missed it, reality should have set in for everyone on that sideline. The groan from the crowd was noticeable.
Its sad that there were about 4-6 so you are not sure which one was the worst

shoot-the-three

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Petras has absolutely no confidence and playing against the number one defense every day can't be helping. KF tells the story about Hayden only letting the 1's play against the 2's to give the 1's confidence. KF operates with the iron sharpens iron philosophy, which I agree with if you have a QB like Tate or Beathard who walks onto the field swinging their dick .

Petras clearly isn't the answer, but him having some more success in practice can't hurt. It may mean playing him against the 3rd string but if KF insists on playing him what could it hurt?

My hope is that KF does the kid a favor and starts Padilla. If Padilla doesn't work move on to Labas.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Petras has absolutely no confidence and playing against the number one defense every day can't be helping. KF tells the story about Hayden only letting the 1's play against the 2's to give the 1's confidence. KF operates with the iron sharpens iron philosophy, which I agree with if you have a QB like Tate or Beathard who walks onto the field swinging their dick .

Petras clearly isn't the answer, but him having some more success in practice can't hurt. It may mean playing him against the 3rd string but if KF insists on playing him what could it hurt?

My hope is that KF does the kid a favor and starts Padilla. If Padilla doesn't work move on to Labas.
and maybe we won’t have 25 guys hurt.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Carson May was a Rivals250 recruit (yes, a late riser) and would get a chance to start at half of all FBS schools, even as a true freshman.

he would already have a statue in Ames.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There is also a reason nearly every fucking team in the world has switched to this in college football, and it isn't because it doesn't work.
Create a schematic advantage?

That’s way too sexy for Kirk and Brian.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Carson May was a Rivals250 recruit (yes, a late riser) and would get a chance to start at half of all FBS schools, even as a true freshman.

he would already have a statue in Ames.
What in the mother of fuck are you on?

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
We had one scholarship WR (I'm not counting the freshman or the baseball player).

Hey, Bruce, we want you to return punts, too, because the other 35 guys who did it in high school/juco are retarded.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Bruce is a great kid and fantastic third/fourth option but LOL at him being Iowa’s #1 threat on offense.

Where is the accountable for receiver/QB recruiting? Has Kirk been asked why there aren’t decent options?
I believe Bruce had offers from:

Western Illinois
Tulsa
Iowa State (this was a spite offer)

Bruce would run jet sweeps at most other schools, at best.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
Fuck off. I’ll say what I want, especially given the nonsense regurgitated on a daily basis here.
You are free to post your absurd “I’m the thinking man here” absurd nonsense and I’m free to tell you that you’d be better off shutting the fuck up because you are not at all a bright person.

That’s how this works.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Which will probably be an impressive list compared to future wr signings
What makes you think we'll sign another WR?

We took 1 last year. Could be full for next year.

Maybe Copeland keeps scouring the 1A schools for WR walkons so we can ensure we have 67 scholarship defensive backs on the team.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Bruce is slow, but he does seem to break a lot of tackles for a wr

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
Another thing: can we stop acting like people that trot out this “we’re a developmental program” stuff are making some profound point? I mean, it sounds great and super sophisticated and feeds into this “OMG we as a people are so down to Earth” backslapping bullshit and may be somewhat comparatively true but by and large the players that end up being difference makers are on the field in the first couple of years.

What percentage of good players start playing in their fourth year in the program? Some, but not many.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
No, he's slow, BBK.

He was about the 6th fastest kid on his Ankeny team, but he was quicker than all of them.

You know how I know he's slow? Well, my eyes...and also because he's sturdily built, catches almost everything and only had offers from Tulsa and Western Illinois.

He's as good as a WR as we can ever hope to get under Brian and Kirk. I'd take 5 more just like him.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
What? He is not slow.

Some of you are going off the deep end. Bruce is good.
I also wasn’t upset with his punt returns, either. The most important aspect is being willing to catch the ball. He did that. The worst is when you have some asshole that will let the ball roll for 10-15 yards.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Was it the shitty pass on the screen that would have been a walk-in touchdown? Because that was when I quit on the year.
That came later. I believe it was a pass to LaPorta where LaPorta jumped up and got 1 hand on the ball.

As for Bruce, he’s basically Tyrone Tracy but can catch. Tracy at one point mustered almost 600 receiving yards in this offense. But that was before this offense was quarterbacked by Spencer Petras.