**Official Wisconsin vs. Iowa Football Thread - 2:30pm - FS1 or BTN**

Reaction score
He's just so hot and cold which I guess is an improvement over being just cold or lukewarm the first half of the year. 1st quarter last week and 1st half today he looks awful. 2nd half last week and basically two drives in the 2nd half today, he looks really good and you see the talent. At least we're getting glimpses now.
As bad as he’s been this year...he’s actually improved quite a bit in the last 3 games. We’re seeing at least a half of good football out of him at times.

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything that would tell the coaches they don't need to at least look for other options in the off-season at QB.

I know it's unlikely they'd land a transfer QB.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Just because Campbell is good doesn't mean that benson isn't.

Just because Kirk is Brian's father doesn't mean Brian isn't a good coordinator. He's led us to 37 points a game over the last 6 games with spotty, at best, qb play.

Give it a rest already.
I haven't bad mouthed Benson at all. Just recognize Campbell is better. The offense has improved but lets be honest, they haven't played a team with a winning record during that span.

Last edited:

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything that would tell the coaches they don't need to at least look for other options in the off-season at QB.

I know it's unlikely they'd land a transfer QB.
What is wrong with you?

douglasbader

Posts “Hawks by a million” on Facebook
Reaction score
I haven't bad mouthed Benson at all. Just recognize Cambell is better. The offense has improved but lets be honest, they haven't played a team with a winning record during that span.
Hi there, Jamie.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I haven't bad mouthed Benson at all. Just recognize Cambell is better. The offense has improved but lets be honest, they haven't played a team with a winning record during that span.

I think Benson may be a NFL guy too. Iowa recruited two middle linebackers in the same class who have bright futures. It’s a good problem to have. *I do still agree that Campbell is a difference maker

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I think Benson may be a NFL guy too. Iowa recruited two middle linebackers in the same class who have bright futures. It’s a good problem to have. *I do still agree that Campbell is a difference maker
Iowa(like a lot of teams) is vulnerable to passes over the lbs and in front of the safeties. Having a 6'5 guy dropping back in pass d is a great thing.

Lee Beevers

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa(like a lot of teams) is vulnerable to passes over the lbs and in front of the safeties. Having a 6'5 guy dropping back in pass d is a great thing.
Agreed. I still don’t think Campbell in pass coverage is what makes him special though. At least not right now. Both these guys are way ahead of Welch as as Sophomores and that’s a great sign.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Lol Iowa isn’t getting a grad transfer at QB.

AZmess

Reaction score
I mean it’s actually retarded to think they would.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
My guess is Benson got the start due to Campbell missing the first couple games of the season. Benson played well during that time and the first couple games when Campbell was working back into game shape. I bet Campbell could play most of the snaps if he needed to now, but the coaches don't want to bench Benson as he played well even so they are rotating both.

AZmess

Reaction score
They need a fully open QB competition in the spring. And on this particular night I think they do it.
Bringing in a grad transfer would be an awesome way to get Deuce to transfer.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The qb for the 2nd highest scoring team in the big ten has been awful is actually a popular opinion on halo.

I guess it's stuff like this that makes this place fun for me.
As pointed out by stat man @HawkLax6 in this thread, Iowa has defensive and special teams scoring that is off the charts and even with less games is way higher than teams ahead of them.

Petras finally today passed the James Vandenberg / Greg Davis line of demarcation 2012. That isn't good.

HawkLax6

Reaction score
I am not defending Petras (or Padilla), but Hogan never overly impressed me much based on his high school career. He played against really shitty competition and was very blah for the hype/offers based on who he played against. He only completed 44% of his passes his junior year.

But I would love for him to prove me wrong.

HawkLax6

Reaction score
As pointed out by stat man @HawkLax6 in this thread, Iowa has defensive and special teams scoring that is off the charts and even with less games is way higher than teams ahead of them.
Points off takeaways is points scored on the actual turnover or on the drive following the turnover. So the offense has a say in that number (although some of it is with a short field).

douglasbader

Reaction score
I am not defending Petras (or Padilla), but Hogan never overly impressed me much based on his high school career. He played against really shitty competition and was very blah for the hype/offers based on who he played against. He only completed 44% of his passes his junior year.

But I would love for him to prove me wrong.
Seriously??

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score

Petras finally today passed the James Vandenberg / Greg Davis line of demarcation 2012. That isn't good.
LOL

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Jesus. Kid makes Bohannon look likeable and charming.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I can't imagine Kirk having a sit with this kid and finding conversational connectivity.

Reaction score
Campbell will have MLB all to himself next year, with Jay Higgins backing him up. Benson and Jacobs sharing Will with Jacobs hopefully ascending as the season goes on. One of them can play the outside spot if and when they utilize it- which they may not have to do if Belton stays healthy and they know they have a solid backup at the Cash spot. (Harris could well be Hankins' successor, unless Hankins gets "stay in school" feedback.)

Depressing to think of how many snaps Campbell might be getting if Doyle were here. (Btw, Doyle and co. allowed 600+ yards to Okie State on their home field today.)

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
If Indiana is playing next week I am going to be pissed the fuck off if it is a meaningless game against Purdue and not a NY6 play in vs Iowa.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only one ok with Campbell's usage this year.

Kind of reminds me of Epenesa. He was more efficient when playing less snaps, but everybody bitched.

He will likely play full time next year, so we will find out if he is TOTALLY FUCKIN AWESOME every down.

thrawn

Reaction score
Meh, Petras had Mahomes-like high school stats at JARED GOFF’S OLD SCHOOL.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Meh, Petras had Mahomes-like high school stats at JARED GOFF’S OLD SCHOOL.
Serious question but do we know how many of his teammates, particularly the RBs and WRs went on to play college football?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Campbell will have MLB all to himself next year, with Jay Higgins backing him up. Benson and Jacobs sharing Will with Jacobs hopefully ascending as the season goes on. One of them can play the outside spot if and when they utilize it- which they may not have to do if Belton stays healthy and they know they have a solid backup at the Cash spot. (Harris could well be Hankins' successor, unless Hankins gets "stay in school" feedback.)

Depressing to think of how many snaps Campbell might be getting if Doyle were here. (Btw, Doyle and co. allowed 600+ yards to Okie State on their home field today.)
no kidding. I feel bad for Doyle but it would have been turrible for Campbell to sit behind him.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only one ok with Campbell's usage this year.

Kind of reminds me of Epenesa. He was more efficient when playing less snaps, but everybody bitched.

He will likely play full time next year, so we will find out if he is TOTALLY FUCKIN AWESOME every down.
I can’t think of a single play where I said ‘Fuck, I wish Campbell was in there!’ If a pass was completed to the guy Benson was covering there is no way in knowing if Campbell would have done better.

I like that the coaches are rotating guys. It allowed them to be efficient with their snaps. They’re both good.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

I think Colbert is going to get the Barrington Wade treatment next year.