- Ohio State vs Iowa. 2/4/21. 6:00pm. ESPN -

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I mean, don't want to overreact, but it's 4 straight games where the defense has been shit. It has been 4 games where CJ isn't playing and they look different overall.

Fran has some decisions to make. bohannon is clearly terrible on defense, Connor is struggling and can't hit shots or free throws and your bench guys are playing their ass off.

Personally, at this point, if I am Fran I wouldn't really give a flying fuck what bohannon and Connor think or say if I start "benching" them. They can both start still and retain their pride, but if they aren't doing what they need to do, then they aren't going to play much more than 20 minutes.

bohannon is gone in about 15 games or whatever. Perkins and Ulis will be here for another 4 years.
1612492198972.gif

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
This game is actually revealing simply because we did get "good" bohannon tonight. 18 pts, 4-8 from 3.
I totally agree he sucks at D. But he has value on offense when he’s hitting shots like tonight

I don't agree with the Jordan fucking sucks at D so bench him. Maybe pull Connor who can only pass. Can't create, can't handle the ball under pressure, can't slash, not a good rebounder and also isn't good at d. He plays physical underneath but thats it.

play hood Jordan with Joet, Perkins or Ulis

sit bad Jordan

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
I’m not comparing the two in any way, other than 3 point shooting, but JBo should be used in a Jeff Mow type roll. 20 minutes/game or so.

Reaction score
I mean, don't want to overreact, but it's 4 straight games where the defense has been shit. It has been 4 games where CJ isn't playing and they look different overall.

Fran has some decisions to make. bohannon is clearly terrible on defense, Connor is struggling and can't hit shots or free throws and your bench guys are playing their ass off.

Personally, at this point, if I am Fran I wouldn't really give a flying fuck what bohannon and Connor think or say if I start "benching" them. They can both start still and retain their pride, but if they aren't doing what they need to do, then they aren't going to play much more than 20 minutes.

bohannon is gone in about 15 games or whatever. Perkins and Ulis will be here for another 4 years.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Connor is absolutely killing us. Roasted on D, can’t hit a shot, can’t beat his guy off the dribble, can’t make FTs. They pack it in on Garza, so he can’t even utilize his passing.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I really really would have liked to see what would have happened if Fran did the following instead of what he actually did....

- Iowa gets up 11 and is chucking. Ohio State hits a free throw and then a wide open three.
- Fran calls a timeout with 13:30 up 7 and chews some ass in the huddle and gets the bench in.

I'm guessing the game turns out a lot different if that happens.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the two in any way, other than 3 point shooting, but JBo should be used in a Jeff Mow type roll. 20 minutes/game or so.
with this roster playing 37 minutes is asinine. bohannon would be a better player in less minutes. 25+ minutes if he is hot. 18-22 if he is not.

Joe t is obviously not the shooter of bohannon but he has some offensive skills. Either way the zone is trash. It wasn't just Pemsl. No one knows how to rotate

Reaction score
Best of all Ohio St tried to give the game back and Instead Connor almost air balls the front end of a 1 and 1 and next possession Iowa thinks Jack Nunge should bring the ball up the court.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Connor is absolutely killing us. Roasted on D, can’t hit a shot, can’t beat his guy off the dribble, can’t make FTs. They pack it in on Garza, so he can’t even utilize his passing.
He’s not even playing tough and just fucking with people. He appears soft as fuck right now. I don’t expect him to score, but he should rebound and almost get in fights all the time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
We haven't even talked about the fucking absurdity of Fran putting in Connor to bring the ball up the court down 4 with 17 seconds left.

That is perhaps the most egregious and ridiculous coaching decision Fran made all night. You still have a decent chance to get the last shot to win or tie if you get a quick 2 pointer with how they were missing free throws.

Connor is perhaps the worst player on the team in that situation. I might actually want Garza or Jack bringing the ball up the court, and this is after Jack had just tried to do it and fell down.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
We haven't even talked about the fucking absurdity of Fran putting in Connor to bring the ball up the court down 4 with 17 seconds left.

That is perhaps the most egregious and ridiculous coaching decision Fran made all night. You still have a decent chance to get the last shot to win or tie if you get a quick 2 pointer with how they were missing free throws.

Connor is perhaps the worst player on the team in that situation. I might actually want Garza or Jack bringing the ball up the court, and this is after Jack had just tried to do it and fell down.
So bad. Perfect situation for Toussaint.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score

You should distract yourself with something else to do the rest of the night.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I love Fran.

I want to punch Fran.
Same here, and I really do think that Fran didn't mean to have what happened regarding minutes in the second half. Iowa went on that red hot run from pretty much the start of the 2nd half until the 13:30 mark, which is usually right around when he subs, so I can understand why he didn't.

Fran got caught looking and fucked up. By that time he let him self be caught in no man's land and compounded it by trying to make it to the under 12 media timeout.

It cost Iowa the game.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Fran has never had a feel for when to use timeouts or substitutions to change momentum. It's just something I've accepted. As painful as that was defensively we still along with Gonzaga have one of the funnest teams to watch in the country and for that I'll always give Fran an overly long leash.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
At the end there --- Joe T would have had a layup and taken like 4 seconds off the clock. Just saying.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I read some folks here earlier this year talking about how they thought Holtzman is the best coach in the I am a giant douche. I thought that was some strange talk at the time.

It appears to have been that indeed.
What's your opinion now @BBK ? I'm still taking Holtmann before anyone else in the league.

douglasbader

Reaction score
At the end there --- Joe T would have had a layup and taken like 4 seconds off the clock. Just saying.
Yep, possibly would have. Then call a timeout right after he scores and set up your defense to get a steal on the inbound and at worst you foul and they are shooting free throws with 10 seconds left and you might get the ball to tie, win or be in the same situation again.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Ohio State’s defensive intensity went up a level at about the 14:00 minute mark in the second half. Once the refs established they were going to let them play “extra physical”, Iowa was fucked as their offensive advantage is eroded and they refuse to play defense/take advantage of the swallowed whistles.

Same story every fucking year.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the man to man defense is worse than the zone.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Ohio State’s defensive intensity went up a level at about the 14:00 minute mark in the second half. Once the refs established they were going to let them play “extra physical”, Iowa was fucked as their offensive advantage is eroded and they refuse to play defense/take advantage of the swallowed whistles.

Same story every fucking year.
The refs had zero to do with this game either way. Iowa scored 85 points. There was more than enough flow and freedom of movement.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Almost as dumb as his 2 foul rule is Fran’s terrible management of his timeouts. Don’t make easy decisions harder than they need to be.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
A better coaching job tonight and that game is a different story.
Yeah but we didn’t get a better coaching job. A few more defensive stops, better rebounding, better free throw shooting all might have made a different story. But I am only interested in things that actually happened.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Man to man just means bohannon & garza get picked on in pick & rolls. I think this team is better without bohannon altogether. I'd hate to see him tweak his hip again.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The biggest knock on Fran defensively is that both of his sons are incredibly dumb in zone defense, especially Pat.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Doesn't feel like garza had a basket outside of 10 feet. Maybe one three that looked good, but not much else.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
With regards to the open corner 3s.....

It’s all on bohannon. No one else. He gives 0 effort at the top of the zone. 3-4 times there was a loose ball near the free throw line and he watched as other guys went after it. Ohio State got all but one of them.

Outside of that, he refuses to leave the area near the top of the circle. When the other team brings a guy up to screen he doesn’t move. Every team is bringing the guy in the high post up, dragging Murray or whoever with them. They then swing it the direction bohannon is shaded. With Murray cleared from the play it becomes a 2 on 2 with a guy in the corner and someone on the wing against bohannon and whoever is in the bottom of the zone. 70% of the time bohannon points, choosing to stick with the guy THROWING THE PASS. The guy defending down in the corner has to run up to the guard the guy on the wing who throws a simple pass to the corner for a wide open 3 with Garza chasing out to him. If he misses no one from Iowa is underneath big enough to battle for the rebound unless it falls opposite the rim or towards the free throw line. The entire Iowa team is out of position once the pass goes to the wing. If the other team secures the offensive rebound Iowa is in no position to prevent a layup.

Now go back and watch how the second unit defended in the zone against MSU. Perkins and Toussaint denied a high post touch. When they came up to screen, they followed the ball to the wing. The defender in the bottom corner of the zone was able to stay with his normal responsibility. As they tried to reverse the ball, the whole team was able to slide with it. Michigan State was then forced to dribble into uncomfortable 15 foot jump shots.

One guy needs to put in some effort. Just running at the guy and allowing the corner guy to stay home would result in them dribbling towards help defense and having to choose a pull up jumper or a contested layup.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Tonight in that zone (like any other time they ever play that zone really) osu had a guy sitting in the corner with a wing on the same side and the ball got swung to that side and BOTH our idiots on that side STILL went to guard the ball resulting in a guy just standing alone without anyone within 10 feet of him. How this happens so consistently without being addressed or fixed is offensively egregious. It's embarrassing.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Same here, and I really do think that Fran didn't mean to have what happened regarding minutes in the second half. Iowa went on that red hot run from pretty much the start of the 2nd half until the 13:30 mark, which is usually right around when he subs, so I can understand why he didn't.

Fran got caught looking and fucked up. By that time he let him self be caught in no man's land and compounded it by trying to make it to the under 12 media timeout.

It cost Iowa the game.
Dude totally, but that goes back to my previous point. You have like 50 years of head coaching experience besides Fran on the bench. Where’s the guy saying “get a timeout here coach”, or “Jordan has made 72 mistakes on D, coach, let’s pull him for a bit”? Not to go all body language, but Fran sat there like Bernie Sanders in mittens for almost the whole second half. This was not the game to fucking play games.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The refs had zero to do with this game either way. Iowa scored 85 points. There was more than enough flow and freedom of movement.
Poor officiating wasn’t my point. My point is that when you rely so heavily on offense, and refuse to play defense, the other team is almost always going to benefit from that type of officiated game.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Dude totally, but that goes back to my previous point. You have like 50 years of head coaching experience besides Fran on the bench. Where’s the guy saying “get a timeout here coach”, or “Jordan has made 72 mistakes on D, coach, let’s pull him for a bit”? Not to go all body language, but Fran sat there like Bernie Sanders in mittens for almost the whole second half. This was not the game to fucking play games.
that goes back to my earlier comment that maybe he was trying to prove a point. I dunno, it just seemed so odd.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Iowa's defensive philosophy is let one guy get as open as possible and then chase the ball around like a bunch of fucking retards and hope the other team misses.

They're all running around like Warren trying to find their baseball, (basketball in this case). Our white guys are athletically limited but at least their dumb too.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It's that time of year when I fucking hate bohannon and am ready to move on. He'll have a couple more games that pull me back in slightly but in general he just is a small, slow, weak, unathletic player that makes team defense very difficult. I'm going to be optimistic and say this is the turning point that gets our bench more consistent minutes and if we get Fredrick healthy in a couple weeks this is still a damn good team.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Tonight in that zone (like any other time they ever play that zone really) osu had a guy sitting in the corner with a wing on the same side and the ball got swung to that side and BOTH our idiots on that side STILL went to guard the ball resulting in a guy just standing alone without anyone within 10 feet of him. How this happens so consistently without being addressed or fixed is offensively egregious. It's embarrassing.
This is basic shit too. Like Junior High basketball stuff.