- Ohio State vs Iowa. 2/4/21. 6:00pm. ESPN -

Reaction score
Thank God there was snowblowing needed after that game. Needed that time because that's as pissed as I've been at a game in a long time.

Get a good lead. The same guys get casual on defense, make the same mistakes they always make and we don't sub in Joe T, Tony or Uhlis at all. That was absolutely maddening.

At the same time, if the fucking veterans who keep fucking up on D just keep their heads and don't go in the tank offensively, we can probably keep up with them given the cushion, and still pull that game out. But they became a mess on both ends. Motherfuck.

Reaction score
I'm not defending Fran as you can see above, but Fran got caught watching. He saw his team come out hot, get that 11 point lead and was just hoping they could get that back. It didn't happen and by the time he looks up it is crunch time and basically a tie game.

He isn't going to unload the bench with 6 minutes left, so he was stuck and stayed with his starters. They rewarded him by giving up open three after open three.
Right. I was pissed but the time to go to the bench was the usual 12-6 minute left stretch. For whatever dumb reason, he didn't. They could have rewarded him for trusting them but instead, played some of their worst defense of the entire fucking season. By then, you couldn't go to those guys cold and needed the veterans on the #1 offense in the country to score. No FG's last 4:15.

Reaction score
Perfect example of Iowa defense on the last three of the game. It took 2 passes. They threw it to the guy Connor was guarding in his zone, he threw it to the top, for some reason Connor turns his head and sags way off into the lane, they throw it right back to his guy, Connor looks startled and realizes too late to get his hand up and get out there. Ohio State buries a three.

Game over.
Connor has played some of the worst basketball of his career this week. He's not a great defender but he's had some major fuck ups this week. And missing everything he puts up.

Reaction score
Fran doesn’t care how well his substitutions worked Tuesday
That's the maddening thing. He pushed the right buttons on Tuesday and didn't give a shit about any of their pride. Just did what they had to do to get the win.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Dude totally, but that goes back to my previous point. You have like 50 years of head coaching experience besides Fran on the bench. Where’s the guy saying “get a timeout here coach”, or “Jordan has made 72 mistakes on D, coach, let’s pull him for a bit”? Not to go all body language, but Fran sat there like Bernie Sanders in mittens for almost the whole second half. This was not the game to fucking play games.
I’m not sure Fran really asks for a lot of help. I have always gotten the feeling that Fran makes the calls and those guys are there for day to day development.

It is inexcusable that these guys don’t know how to play a functional zone defense. bohannon would have had his ass ripped so many times by my high school coaches for being out of position. It is insane to me that there hasn’t been any accountability to ensure that it doesn’t happen. Fran either doesn’t know and hasn’t taken the time to try and understand or he just doesn’t care. At this point I don’t know what’s worse

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
There just has to be a better option than Connor at the moment. He’s turning it over, playing 0 defense, missing every shot, nearly air balling free throws and committing dumb fouls. In the current starting lineup I don’t even know what position he’s suppose to be playing.

Swap him and Joe T. and live with a couple extra turnovers. Or start Nunge and start crushing teams with the high-low game again like they did in the White-Uthoff-Woody-Olaseni days.

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the man to man defense is worse than the zone.
It is and that's a major problem. After a timeout, I'm guessing the coaches challenged them so we went man. 2-3 passes and we end up with Luka trying to chase Young wide open in the corner who drilled a 3. And of course that fucker who was 5-17 on the season went 2-2 tonight.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Tom Thibodeau couldn’t make bohannon and Garza playable in man to man defense.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I really wish Fran would go aggressive 3 quarter court trapping defense early in the game with the second unit. The combination of length and annoying scrappy guards should give other teams problems. If we're going to be shitty at every defense at least mix it up more often so you mess with the other team's rhythm.

Reaction score
that goes back to my earlier comment that maybe he was trying to prove a point. I dunno, it just seemed so odd.
I don't know if that was the intention but I hope that's the result either way. Jordan shouldn't play more than 25 minutes. Even if he's hitting like tonight, it doesn't matter. 30 should be the absolute max.

Wieskamp was quoted saying they keep talking about and correcting the same things in film sessions but not taking it to the court.

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Yeah but we didn’t get a better coaching job. A few more defensive stops, better rebounding, better free throw shooting all might have made a different story. But I am only interested in things that actually happened.
All of that actually happened.

Reaction score
Keegan had a rough game, hope he doesn't start doubting himself. Should have had 4-6 more points tonight. He's got as much defensive potential as anyone and was probably a net positive compared to others but has struggled in the zone sagging too far into the paint the last two games. 1-11 from 3 the last 8 games.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
I just got done watching the game, and I'm not going to read the whole thread, but what the fuck? I understand this is beating a dead horse at this point, but somebody should tell Fran he can use timeouts whenever he wants. A couple obvious spots where we were clearly disorganized and a timeout could have broken their momentum.

BluesHawk

Reaction score
Keegan had a rough game, hope he doesn't start doubting himself. Should have had 4-6 more points tonight. He's got as much defensive potential as anyone and was probably a net positive compared to others but has struggled in the zone sagging too far into the paint the last two games. 1-11 from 3 the last 8 games.
He doesn't seem like the type to get rattled. He's going to be a great one.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I don't know if that was the intention but I hope that's the result either way. Jordan shouldn't play more than 25 minutes. Even if he's hitting like tonight, it doesn't matter. 30 should be the absolute max.

Wieskamp was quoted saying they keep talking about and correcting the same things in film sessions but not taking it to the court.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Yeah we should definitely guard that guy in the corner, he's been wide open about 15 times tonight. Why are we both guarding the ball again? Seems to happen a lot. Let's stop doing that."

K.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Connor wouldnt start on another big ten team. Id rather have Patrick starting

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’d love to be mad about the loss but at this point they just need to make it to the tournament healthy. They’re 7-4 in conference right now with a brutal stretch coming up. Still have road games at Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, MSU and Michigan plus home games against Rutgers and Wisconsin. They’ll beat Penn State and Nebrantska. Would we be happy if they got to 12 conference wins?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I’d love to be mad about the loss but at this point they just need to make it to the tournament healthy. They’re 7-4 in conference right now with a brutal stretch coming up. Still have road games at Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, MSU and Michigan plus home games against Rutgers and Wisconsin. They’ll beat Penn State and Nebrantska. Would we be happy if they got to 12 conference wins?
Would you be happy with 12-8?

Reaction score
I'm a glutton for punishment and no one wants to read this so skip this post. But this is what happened after going up 61-50.
-Man D, actually good. Liddell spins back left and gets bailed out on a call. Hits one.
-Luka missed 3. Connor guarding Washington on the left wing. Passes to corner, Connor sags for some reason, pass right back and Washington drills a 3. 61-54.
-Jordan comes down and chucks a 3 with 0 passes and 24 left on the shot clock. Misses. Then Jack has one of the most egregious fuck ups of the night. Guarding Young left wing who hands off to Washington on a ghost screen left wing. For some reason, Jack thinks he should go to the corner and Connor should switch up to the wing. Washington left all alone, drills his 2nd in a row. If he literally never moved, the shot doesn't go up. Connor and Jordan are both cussing at Jack. 61-57.
-Great inbounds play for a Pat dunk. 3 guys surround Sueing on a drive. He pivots and gets it to Liddell for a layup. 63-59.
-Two passes, ball never gets inside 3 point line. Joe misses a 3 with :20 left. They miss, Jordan saves it under their basket, they get to the line and hit both. 63-61.
-Fucked up trip with no Luka touch, Jack gets blocked and they get fouled in transition. Hit 1-2. 63-62. In 2:38 we went from 61-50 to 63-62.

-Stops both ways, Wieskamp hits a 3 to put us up 4. We play good D but they hit the banked in 3, then Jack turns it over on a pass to Luka. Don't want to do this anymore.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
12-8 is acceptable, it's Iowa after all.

Reaction score
They're college kids and kind of just say what they're supposed to say. But at some point don't you get tired of saying the same thing and hearing the same criticism from everyone?

BluesHawk

Reaction score
Connor wouldnt start on another big ten team. Id rather have Patrick starting
Garza is an all-timer, but his stats would take a hit without those sweet Connor entry passes.

Reaction score
At this point, yeah. I’ve lost quite a bit of confidence in this team. Just need to get to March with a healthy CJ.
I agree. Lost any confidence its going to be anything but a brutal end to the year. Trying to not let it affect my March outlook...but starting to wonder how our seeding will be affected and what that means for whatever 'run' we have in us. The uncertainty with CJ is not ideal.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Here is all I know, this team was fucking smashing teams ever since the Gonzaga game with the lone exception of a fluke on the road in the last minute against Minnesota right up until the 2nd half of the Indiana game.

Won a tough game at Rutgers who was playing really well at the time, beat down Northwestern twice, skullfucked Maryland on the road, revenge against Minnesota at home by 15.

Then they lost CJ Fredrick at the half of the Indiana game where they were up 6 and held Indiana to 31 points. They got up 9 and then couldn't score and the final got inflated.

Since then they have been pretty much fucked. The defense has been one of the very worst in the country after being like a Top 25 defense during that 5 game stretch.

I don't know the exact reason why, but it traces right back to when CJ went out. I'm guessing it has fucked up their spacing, rotations, substitutions, and taken out maybe the best shooter in the country and a decent man defender and guy who can get his own shot.

Right around that same point Connor has become truly worthless and teams have been able to focus on bohannon more.

Reaction score
Toussaint and Perkins got 34 minutes Tuesday, Uhlis got 3. CJ got 12. Jack and Pat got basically the same minutes both nights.

Tonight, those 3 guards went from 37 combined minutes to 7. Wieskamp went from 24 minutes to 37. bohannon from 20 to 36. Connor from 19 to 27. Keegan got the start and went from 15 to 20.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Here is all I know, this team was fucking smashing teams ever since the Gonzaga game with the lone exception of a fluke on the road in the last minute against Minnesota right up until the 2nd half of the Indiana game.

Won a tough game at Rutgers who was playing really well at the time, beat down Northwestern twice, skullfucked Maryland on the road, revenge against Minnesota at home by 15.

Then they lost CJ Fredrick at the half of the Indiana game where they were up 6 and held Indiana to 31 points. They got up 9 and then couldn't score and the final got inflated.

Since then they have been pretty much fucked. The defense has been one of the very worst in the country after being like a Top 25 defense during that 5 game stretch.

I don't know the exact reason why, but it traces right back to when CJ went out. I'm guessing it has fucked up their spacing, rotations, substitutions, and taken out maybe the best shooter in the country and a decent man defender and guy who can get his own shot.

Right around that same point Connor has become truly worthless and teams have been able to focus on bohannon more.
Connor has to play guard instead of forward with CJ out and Fran subbing in either Nunge or Murray for CJ. It’s basically that simple.

Reaction score

Agreed on everything except Connor was actually pretty good against Illinois. 11 points on 2-4 from 2, 2-5 from 3 and 5 assists to 2 turns. Terrible this week though.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Agreed on everything except Connor was actually pretty good against Illinois. 11 points on 2-4 from 2, 2-5 from 3 and 5 assists to 2 turns. Terrible this week though.
Forgot about that game.

The truth here is that Iowa Basketball might be similar to Iowa Football where the talent level and difference between good and great hangs on a razors edge of health and good fortune.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not going to be in full freak out mode yet, but they need to beat Indiana. They cannot lose that game.

If they find a way to win that game, will feel a lot better going forward.

Reactions: BBK

BluesHawk

Reaction score
Forgot about that game.

The truth here is that Iowa Basketball might be similar to Iowa Football where the talent level and difference between good and great hangs on a razors edge of health and good fortune.
And in-game coaching.

Though I am more than satisfied with the overall success of both programs and I love both coaches.

Reaction score
Forgot about that game.

For sure. But MSU showed we have the depth to overcome a lot of bad stuff, even if using the bench means we play a little different. The Indiana game was annoying and frustrating but we missed a ton of good looks and were adjusting to no CJ mid-game. Illinois was understandable and we played pretty well. Tonight is a different level because we just doubled down.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The reality is without Fredrick healthy, they are a Top 15 level team.

It's not like they have a truly bad loss. Indiana at home is close, but even they were ranked #22 after that game.

The trouble is they don't have any easy games the rest of the year except maybe Penn State at home.

@Indiana
Rutgers
@Michigan State
@Wisconsin
Penn State
@Ohio State
@Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebrantska??

One last pussy ass excuse making observation.... tonight is likely where not having a roaring crowd at home makes a huge difference. If that game between #7 and #8 is nationally televised with the ESPN A-Team on site and 15,500+ fans going apeshit, I'm guessing suddenly they might give more of a fuck and be locked in on defense. It also might have been a bit harder for Ohio State to hit like 5 threes in a row with the crowd going crazy.