Parking/tailgating 2021

Reaction score
Haven’t been to a game in a while, may be heading up for Purdue. My normal move is to arrive early, park at Old Capitol Mall, hit downtown/campus for a while before walking over to the stadium area. Is that still feasible?

Second question/option, where could one reasonably tailgate on the outskirts? I recall folks in the past in the library parking lot but it’s been a while. Nothing crazy with grills or anything. Just a place to crack a cooler, kids can throw a football around, and that’s about it.

I‘ll hang up and gfm.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Haven’t been to a game in a while, may be heading up for Purdue. My normal move is to arrive early, park at Old Capitol Mall, hit downtown/campus for a while before walking over to the stadium area. Is that still feasible?

Second question/option, where could one reasonably tailgate on the outskirts? I recall folks in the past in the library parking lot but it’s been a while. Nothing crazy with grills or anything. Just a place to crack a cooler, kids can throw a football around, and that’s about it.

I‘ll hang up and gfm.
I usually park in the courthouse lot. There are some tailgaters there but it is more for convenience and cost b/c I usually walk to other tailgates from there.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Yes, you can still park downtown in one of the ramps. I’ve only ridden through, but Hancher looks fun. There’s a shuttle, but it’s not a bad walk.

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Years ago when I was into hosting tailgates with friends we parked in that EPB lot along the river by the Main Library. Folks still do. Not a bad walk and at least it's downhill on the way back. FYI, if you cross behind the new Pharmacy building (where Quad used to be) that sidewalk over Riverside Dr. is usually less congested than Burlington St. after the game.

Reaction score
I usually park in the courthouse lot. There are some tailgaters there but it is more for convenience and cost b/c I usually walk to other tailgates from there.
Yes, you can still park downtown in one of the ramps. I’ve only ridden through, but Hancher looks fun. There’s a shuttle, but it’s not a bad walk.
Years ago when I was into hosting tailgates with friends we parked in that EPB lot along the river by the Main Library. Folks still do. Not a bad walk and at least it's downhill on the way back. FYI, if you cross behind the new Pharmacy building (where Quad used to be) that sidewalk over Riverside Dr. is usually less congested than Burlington St. after the game.
Hancher filled up early last week. Just a heads up
Thanks all, very helpful. Grabbed a spot in Lot 3 by the Library/EPB (memory is fuzzy on exact layout).

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Thanks all, very helpful. Grabbed a spot in Lot 3 by the Library/EPB (memory is fuzzy on exact layout).
Good spot. Right on the river. Easy walk to Kinnick and downtown.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Parking right next to Kinnick, what's a reasonable amount of time I won't be able to get out after? I know basketball can take a solid 50 minutes to clear out.

HawkCarl

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Parking right next to Kinnick, what's a reasonable amount of time I won't be able to get out after? I know basketball can take a solid 50 minutes to clear out.
Depends on the game, this week won't be too bad (hopefully its a blowout). But when we parked in Kinnick Society lot for night games it would take 2.5 hours just to get to the interstate.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
As Carl said, it depends on the game. This week will be easy. They only allow traffic to flow one way on Hawkins and Melrose, so it’s pretty smooth.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Depends on the game, this week won't be too bad (hopefully its a blowout). But when we parked in Kinnick Society lot for night games it would take 2.5 hours just to get to the interstate.
Yeah, I figure games like Penn State will be a lot of waiting. What about getting up to the stadium as far as traffic before?

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Yeah, I figure games like Penn State will be a lot of waiting. What about getting up to the stadium as far as traffic before?
11:00 am games are slow no matter what time. 2:30 and night games are easy peasy. Just don’t be that guy trying to get to his spot behind the press box at 2:10 for a 2:30 kick off.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
11:00 am games are slow no matter what time. 2:30 and night games are easy peasy. Just don’t be that guy trying to get to his spot behind the press box at 2:10 for a 2:30 kick off.
I saw that guy and he was rudely complaining to a college aged foreign appearing attendant that there are always people tailgating in his spot when he gets there. What an asshole

2HawkFans

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I was surprised at all the empty spots behind the press box for the Indiana game. I realize I was early as it was an hour before kickoff. But with the lack of gates open I didn't want to be outside the stadium when the game started. In the past it seemed that lot was usually packed with cars and folks tailgating.

TAIhawk

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
How early do the lots by Carver fill up? Next year will be our first year parking there, after donation and prepaid ticket for parking- looks like it is first come first serve? Gold Hawk lots I’m referring to- anybody here park there?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
How early do the lots by Carver fill up? Next year will be our first year parking there, after donation and prepaid ticket for parking- looks like it is first come first serve? Gold Hawk lots I’m referring to- anybody here park there?
they only had 28 spots for the public in finkbine commuter saturday, and they were gone at 830 at open.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Getting out of Ramp 4 sucked balls.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I like the Newton Ramp and behind the Public Health building

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
If you're only looking to park, I always park on the streets in the neighborhood on the other side of Hwy 6. Walk across the Woolf Ave bridge. Then when I leave, take Park to Dubuque and get on the interstate at Dubuque. Never had an issue finding parking or with traffic.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If you're only looking to park, I always park on the streets in the neighborhood on the other side of Hwy 6. Walk across the Woolf Ave bridge. Then when I leave, take Park to Dubuque and get on the interstate at Dubuque. Never had an issue finding parking or with traffic.
Just don't make this shit public. If I am leaving after the game I do this as well.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Been raining for a couple hours in IC. The good news, we really needed the rain. The bad news, this could be a parking hassle.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
The Iowa Avenue ramp was full more than an hour before kickoff for the Colorado State game, which was surprising. Never had an issue getting a spot there before.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Birding will be at Kinnick tomorrow
My son and I were getting some popcorn when they transported them upstairs for the CSU game. We were really close to them, and he wanted to go to the raptor center the next day. /CSB

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
My son and I were getting some popcorn when they transported them upstairs for the CSU game. We were really close to them, and he wanted to go to the raptor center the next day. /CSB
Did you go?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
They had them up on the 4th floor. Screeching a fit. I thought it was a garbage cart making noise.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
park at heartland inn/old Chicago.

5 minute walk to Wig and Pen for a pint of Guinness. Then walk up the hill to your tailgate.

it’s ridiculously easy getting out of there and up first ave to I80 from there.

Kerky

Reaction score
park at heartland inn/old Chicago.

5 minute walk to Wig and Pen for a pint of Guinness. Then walk up the hill to your tailgate.

it’s ridiculously easy getting out of there and up first ave to I80 from there.
I'm an east side guy and like lot 11 that I usually refer to as the Courthouse lot. Pay by the hour and always has spots available. Quick and easy to get out and you can either risk getting out of town on Governor or lately I have been taking Hwy 6 to West Liberty and then heading north. A little longer than 80 but there is no waiting of any kind.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I'm an east side guy and like lot 11 that I usually refer to as the Courthouse lot. Pay by the hour and always has spots available. Quick and easy to get out and you can either risk getting out of town on Governor or lately I have been taking Hwy 6 to West Liberty and then heading north. A little longer than 80 but there is no waiting of any kind.
For sure. If you’re going East that’s what I would do too. Stop at Herb and Lou’s in WB then home.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
Speaking of pizza, I’m gonna get me some Herb n Lou’s tonight.

Kerky

Reaction score
For sure. If you’re going East that’s what I would do too. Stop at Herb and Lou’s in WB then home.
That's a good idea. Had previously thought we might stop at Paglias or Wig and Pen on the way out of town to pick up a couple of pizzas but they may be busy/crowded and would have to fight traffic etc to get there. Herb and Lou's is a lot more convenient.

HiG 2.0

DolphinAngerHawk
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Had previously thought we might stop at Paglias or Wig and Pen on the way out of town to pick up a couple of pizzas but they may be busy/crowded and would have to fight traffic etc to get there. Herb and Lou's is a lot more convenient.
Why not Casey’s?

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
I like H&L's pizza. It's not great, but it's decent. And cheap. Just don't expect to get your pizza for at least 45-60 minutes after you order

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Speaking of pizza, I’m gonna get me some Herb n Lou’s tonight.
Say hi to my old man. He’ll be at the corner sipping BV (yuck).

Reactions: Jim