***Penn State v. Iowa - 2/21/21 - 4:00 PM - FS1***

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
2 seed would be great obviously, but even a 3 isn’t the end of the world. Just don’t want to be a 4 and have to go up against a 1 that soon. Blah blah in theory assuming everyone takes care of their business etc etc.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
What does Iowa need to do to lock up a 2 seed? Does four more total wins (regular season and Big Ten Tournament) do it?
They probably need to win out in the regular season
They do that and they are probably projected as a 1 seed headed to the big ten tourney.
They are a high 3-seed/borderline 2-seed now, so yes, if they go 4-0 to finish the regular season - including two road wins over currently-projected 1-seeds - then agreed, I would imagine that most bracketologists would have have them on their top line.
They’ll just have to win out for us to settle this debate

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
We're currently the last 2 seed on the Bracket Matrix' aggregate compilation that was last updated yesterday. 2 seed with Lunardi and DeCourcy. Win the two home games and we're probably still in the mix for a 2 even if we lose the two road games. WIth a split, I think we're in good shape.

Illinois has 4 road games left with MSU, Wisconsin, Michigan and OSU. OSU is at MSU, then home with us and Illinois. Still an opportunity to move ahead of one or both in this home stretch.
The last Iowa team to have a #2 seed was 1987 and a #3 seed was 2006.Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 9.35.28 PM.png

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Not sure but I’m glad we got them early. They’ve got potential to have a nice run in March IMO
Saw the current BTT bracket and if things hold, Iowa would play them on Friday unless they get upset by Penn State.

They really are not that good, they have Williams and that freshman, otherwise they struggle to score. They just play a disgusting brand of basketball.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
Silly me, I thought maybe with PSU's thug coach gone maybe they'd play less thug ball. That was a fucking football game and the refs swallowed their whistles and allowed it, the whole 1st half at least. And I hate that it bothers us so much. This team handles it better than past years but yesterday they were freaking out and there were air balls and missed bunnies galore and turnovers, oh the turnovers. Fuck

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
The sequence at like 6:30 left in the first half where Joe W gets basically tackled in transition by a guy lunging for the steal, then joe T legitimately got tackled in a scrum for the loose ball followed by them calling a bail out foul on Patrick after the Penn State guy missed the layup was quite the display of officiating.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The sequence at like 6:30 left in the first half where Joe W gets basically tackled in transition by a guy lunging for the steal, then joe T legitimately got tackled in a scrum for the loose ball followed by them calling a bail out foul on Patrick after the Penn State guy missed the layup was quite the display of officiating.
That might have been the dumbest play I have seen this year.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Saw the current BTT bracket and if things hold, Iowa would play them on Friday unless they get upset by Penn State.

They really are not that good, they have Williams and that freshman, otherwise they struggle to score. They just play a disgusting brand of basketball.
I don't want to see other one of those rapey fucks in the tournament

Last edited:

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
That sequence was legit LOFL. The Joe’s both look like they were hit by trucks and no call. Patrick revolving doors the dude who is completely out of control...whistle.

Fuck Big Douche Refs.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The word literally no longer means literally, but Patrick literally did not touch him did he?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I couldn’t remember if it was Patrick or the Ohio State-Michigan game where a guy missed a layup and they called a foul despite no one touching the guy. Thank you for your service.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I also noticed when Garza got his free throws for the record, they didn't call the foul until his shot rimmed out.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Silly me, I thought maybe with PSU's thug coach gone maybe they'd play less thug ball. That was a fucking football game and the refs swallowed their whistles and allowed it, the whole 1st half at least. And I hate that it bothers us so much. This team handles it better than past years but yesterday they were freaking out and there were air balls and missed bunnies galore and turnovers, oh the turnovers. Fuck
The officiating changed after the foul count was like 6 to 0. It was one of those situations where the refs start officiating the foul count instead of the game to even it up. The last 9 minutes of the first half was as rapey as I've seen in awhile.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The officiating changed after the foul count was like 6 to 0. It was one of those situations where the refs start officiating the foul count instead of the game to even it up. The last 9 minutes of the first half was as rapey as I've seen in awhile.
officials are definitely betting the in-game lines

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Aka The Izzo
I always think we're gonna be in for it a bit when the opposition has like 3 or 4 expendable guys that they're just going to rotate on Garza & use 20 fouls. It wears Garza out & - eventually - they mostly just let things get rapey, rather than continually interrupt the game with an off the ball foul.

The Dad

Reaction score
I always think we're gonna be in for it a bit when the opposition has like 3 or 4 expendable guys that they're just going to rotate on Garza & use 20 fouls. It wears Garza out & - eventually - they mostly just let things get rapey, rather than continually interrupt the game with an off the ball foul.
And with the way he’s currently shooting FTs, you’d be stupid not to do this.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I also noticed when Garza got his free throws for the record, they didn't call the foul until his shot rimmed out.
I assume they are using some sort of electronic whistle due to having to wear masks which is likely why so many whistles seem late this year.

I just white knighted the refs.

The Dad

Reaction score
He started ugly but ended 7-11 on the day. 70% on the season is acceptable for a big man. 70% from Weiskamp/Fredrick and 56% from Connor is not cool.
Any idea what he’s shooting in conference play? Certainly doesn’t feel like 70%.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
bohannon's ball pressure was better again. As long as Wieskamp and CJ can hit from 3, JBo can manage the game and put more into the defensive end. Maybe it's sunk in with him that they are a better team when he does that.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Well he’s white and unathletic so 70% feels like 30%.
Maybe it seems low because it seems like he's missing about 60% of his front ends of 1&1's...

Yes, I'm nitpicking...

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Watching the first half on my lunch break - the only thing that would have made that sequence better is, after the foul call on Pat, the refs turned towards the nearest camera, did jazz hands, and exclaimed, "The Aristocrats!!"

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This post is correct, and fuck the announcers and others saying over and over "Penn State has played people really close!"

No shit. Of course they stay close to teams, they muck up the game and make it a football game and bog everything down. The refs let them over and over.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
He started ugly but ended 7-11 on the day. 70% on the season is acceptable for a big man. 70% from Weiskamp/Fredrick and 56% from Connor is not cool.
The team FT shooting decline is crazy. Garza is actually up from 65% to 70%, which is the only bright light and the main reason the team drop is only from 75% (top 50 in D1) to 71% (bottom half of D1). But outside of bohannon, who barely shot any last year:
  • Weiskamp 86% to 69%
  • Connor 78% to 56%
  • Frederick 80% to 70%
  • Toussaint 83% to 63%
In 4 of our 6 losses, we shot:
  • Gonzaga 14-26/54%. Didn't matter- outplayed and they shot poorly from the line as well.
  • Minnesota 27-38/71%. They were 25-29. May have cost the game.
  • Illinois 3-6/50%. LOLOLOFL.
  • Ohio State 11-17/65%. May have cost the game.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
It’s really gonna rear it’s ugly head when we lose a game because of Ft shooting at the end of a game we should just be icing away. Fran has a conundrum on his hands, as he took the ball out of bohannon’s game at the end yesterday since he couldn’t be trusted not to turn it over but the other guys aren’t consistent FT shooters.