**Penn State vs. Iowa Basketball - 2/29/20 - 11am - BTN**

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Toussaint was very good defensively. Wish hed get more minutes but that's my only complaint. Nice win

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I felt bad for Garza in the second half. He was completely gassed and tried to walk off the court after he hit a free throw and Fran told him to stay in.

Then he finally got taken out and his teammates rewarded him by having 4 horrible possessions in a row and letting the lead get back down to 8 points and forced Fran to put him right back in.

That was the most tired I have seen him all year.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Despite those bad passes, the dumbest thing pemsl did was dive for the ball and then stand up. Every 10 year old knows it a damn travel

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
A couple of points of interest:

-- After today, with 14 more points, Garza will have scored the most points in a single season (all time). He would pass John Johnson who had 699.

-- Garza passed Jeff Horner on the all-time scoring list and is now at 1505 and #16 all-time. He will likely be in the Top 10 in the next two games.

One other thing from my perspective.

Iowa has this weird proclivity to be up 12,13,14,15 points with under 3 minutes and they love to make it way closer than it needs to be. When other teams are in their hardcore press, I am not sure why Fran hesitates to put in Joe T. I get that Evelyn is a 5th-year senior, but it's not like he always makes the best decisions with the ball - he had 2 turnovers in the final few minutes tonight. His handles are not as good as Joe's in that situation and sometimes waits too long to make a decision and gets himself in trouble. I am not bashing him, but in a press break, I want CJ, Connor, Joe T, Weiskamp and Garza. I get that Joe T can be a bit more spaztastic, but that is usually at the beginning of a game not in a game management situation -- he has the best pure handles on the team. Coach the kid up -- in the future, he's going to have to play in this situation.

Last edited:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Toussaint was very good defensively. Wish hed get more minutes but that's my only complaint. Nice win
I thought he was having a great game. Good on ball defense and had 8 assists prior to his own dumb pass at the 12 min mark. Fran yanked him right away and sat him the rest of the game. Stupid

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
The team looks better when Connor is on the floor.

I'm not saying he's our 2nd best player, but for the last several games he has been.
Total glue guy -- does all the little things. Taps a ball out on a rebound, has a hand on a loose ball causing the other team to knock it out of bounds, helps on a double causing a turnover or bad shot decision -- often the things that never show up in a box score.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I don’t think Bardo knew who Jeff Horner was. His response to Kugler telling him Garza passed him made me think he thought Jeff Horner=Jeff Moe.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see that it does. Wins by 10+ all revert back down to 10 point wins so a 9 point win is simply 1 point less than a 10 point win. But I probably don't understand it well enough
I believe you are correct. 10 doesn't give you an additional bonus.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I don’t think Bardo knew who Jeff Horner was. His response to Kugler telling him Garza passed him made me think he thought Jeff Horner=Jeff Moe.
Bardo’s “Stephens has earned the right to travel” take was something.

douglasbader

Reaction score
20 wins. Chance for 2nd in the Big Ten with 2 games to go. Winning conference record in a year that is arguably considered the toughest in years for the Big Ten. Garza playing like the best player in the country. Fredrick is back.

What a great year for Fran after how it started.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Oh i gotcha --- so then it barely matters if you win by 9 or 16 and doug is just being hysterical like always
I thought your number got bumped for a 10+ victory, but might be wrong on that. It caps at 10, but thought there was an extra kicker for it.

Oh well, penus for everyone!

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
No bonus points for winning by 10 but MOV is capped at 10 as others have pointed out. The biggest factor is within the efficiency ratings. Winning by 9 instead of 15 or 20 fucks with the O or D efficiency numbers, if not both.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
No bonus points for winning by 10 but MOV is capped at 10 as others have pointed out. The biggest factor is within the efficiency ratings. Winning by 9 instead of 15 or 20 fucks with the O or D efficiency numbers, if not both.
Right, but I've never heard anyone complaining or worrying about a 30 point lead dwindling to a 20 point win late, and that would hurt those numbers even worse than your 15 to 9 point win example.

People had it in their heads that there was a bonus for a 10 point win. There wasn't. No biggie, and leaves no reason to fret over the recent endings

Reaction score
2 games in a row that Iowa has given away a 10+ point NET win against a Quad 1 opponent because they are FUCKING RETARDS at the end of the game.
Teams are also shooting 92% from 3 against us in garbage time. Be nice to get a couple misses in one of these.

I don't think there's that much impact if that was 14 or 9 though.

Reaction score
Why do we use a system that values 10 point wins arbitrarily
It's being overstated a little bit. It just caps margin of victory at 10 for one component. It also factors in efficiency margin so there's still benefit to getting it above that. Overall though there isn't some magic boost for winning by 11 instead of 9.

Reaction score
The team looks better when Connor is on the floor.

I'm not saying he's our 2nd best player, but for the last several games he has been.
Might be my 2nd favorite player. Just so fucking solid. Never worry when he has the ball late.

The last 4 games he has 22 assists to 1 turnover. For the month of February he had 37 assists to 4 turnovers. That's nuts. Also shot 11-28 from 3 (39%) for the month and got 14 steals. 6.7 points, 5.3 assists to .6 turnovers and 2 steals per game in February.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I felt bad for Garza in the second half. He was completely gassed and tried to walk off the court after he hit a free throw and Fran told him to stay in.

Then he finally got taken out and his teammates rewarded him by having 4 horrible possessions in a row and letting the lead get back down to 8 points and forced Fran to put him right back in.

That was the most tired I have seen him all year.
Somebody yelled from the crowd “Garza needs a break” right before Fran took him out

Reaction score
Good win. Carver is a huge clusterfuck to get out of and this needs to be improved
If they would just use the cones on Melrose like they have at times, traffic flows right out of Finkbine and eases congestion there.

Instead everyone coming from Kinnick and the east thinks they have to get in the right lane 3 miles early and everything backs up.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
We are currently 12-7 against the top 50 in Kenpom (Syracuse is in there now) with a chance for more.
Syracuse is now getting crushed at home by a horrible North Carolina team.