Predictions for who's coming back in 2021

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Offense

Brandon Smith -I think he's a borderline draft pick and basically had a wasted freshmen year. Seems like a good teammate that might be intrigued by next year's possibilities if Iowa continues to finish strong.

Beyer - seems to be coming on a bit although probably not NFL material. I doubt he comes back but as a local kid it wouldn't surprise me.

Cronk - If he has NFL aspirations I think it's a no-brainer he comes back to show he can stay healthy.

Linderbaum -only played as a college football center for two years, local kid, could maybe use a few more pounds, and would be the leader of the team next year. I think he comes back....especially if Iowa finishes strong.

Defense

Van Valkenberg -starting to excel at big-time college football so I can't see him not wanting to keep playing

Heflin -big hawk fan, will want to experience Kinnick in all its glory, probably not quick enough to get drafted

Nixon -doubtful, but he hasn't played much D1 college football and might have some maturity issues leading the staff to encourage him to stay (he was receptive them wanting him to redshirt and talking out of transferring)

We really need Heflin and Van Valkenberg back.

thrawn

Reaction score
How many scholarships is Iowa projected to have? Just because a player wants to come back doesn’t mean iowa takes him back.

I will not DMOFR

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
How many scholarships is Iowa projected to have? Just because a player wants to come back doesn’t mean iowa takes him back.

I will not DMOFR
There is a one year exception to go up to 90 scholarships. As you point out, the player would have to be asked to come back. I don't think they would ask Beyer to come back. I would be shocked if any of the WR's would come back if they think Petras is going to be throwing to them. I think Cronk just sort of sucks, so bet they bid him a fond farewell. Linderbaum will come back.

Helfin and Van Valkenberg are no brainers. I would try to get Duncan to come back as well given he is having a pretty mediocre season, but that would be his 6th year. Nixon is gone.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’ve assumed Duncan moves on which is why Shudeck took his name out of the transfer portal last year knowing the job is his next year.

I could see Brandon Smith but doubt it. Heflin and VanValkenburg I think are going to come back. Only other long shot would be Hankins.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Linderbaum is likely gone. Top 50 prospect for the 2021 draft. That's the range where Kirk will tell him to go.

I could see Duncan, Heflin, Van Valkenburg, B Smith returning.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Linderbaum is likely gone. Top 50 prospect for the 2021 draft. That's the range where Kirk will tell him to go.

I could see Duncan, Heflin, Van Valkenburg, B Smith returning.
If Linderbaum only gets something like a late 3rd grade (or later)...he NEEDS to come back. Enough with this leave early to be drafted in the 5th shit.

a guy like Linderbaum could be a late first, early second guy.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
If Linderbaum only gets something like a late 3rd grade (or later)...he NEEDS to come back. Enough with this leave early to be drafted in the 5th shit.

a guy like Linderbaum could be a late first, early second guy.
The Athletic mock draft today had Linderbaum going in the middle of the second round.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Kirk and Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Both Nixon and B Smith seem like guys who could have monster pro days. They are not coming back.

thrawn

Reaction score
The next 2 years are going going to be a grad transfer bonanza.
You really couldn’t ask for a better time to have a bad QB. Figure out that Petras isn’t the guy in a throwaway season, if you don’t think Hogan/Labas are going to be ready next year aggressively go after grad transfers.

douglasbader

Reaction score
You really couldn’t ask for a better time to have a bad QB. Figure out that Petras isn’t the guy in a throwaway season, if you don’t think Hogan/Labas are going to be ready next year aggressively go after grad transfers.
I just don't see it unless the plan is to run off Petras/Padilla as soon as the season is over, convince Hogan to wait one more year (he was pretty much going to have to wait most likely anyways) and then grab a one year Grad Transfer and have Labas as the 3rd string as a true freshman.

Then you would have Grad Transfer / Hogan / Labas.

Only way I could see it working.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If they can make it work, hell yes.

thrawn

Reaction score
I just don't see it unless the plan is to run off Petras/Padilla as soon as the season is over, convince Hogan to wait one more year (he was pretty much going to have to wait most likely anyways) and then grab a one year Grad Transfer and have Labas as the 3rd string as a true freshman.

Then you would have Grad Transfer / Hogan / Labas.

Only way I could see it working.
If Hogan is any good Padilla will see the writing on the wall. He can’t get on the field behind one of the worst P5 QBs, he must be pretty far away. They shut the competition down pretty quickly, and remember Kirk was the only person pretending that Wiegers had a chance to start in 2017.

Last edited:

thrawn

Reaction score
Padilla had interest from most of the Ivy League. I’d go after that as a transfer 100 times before fucking around as a career backup at Iowa.

Last edited:

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't see Colbert beating out Campbell or Benson at this point. Coaches love Jacobs. Maybe Colbert plays the Leo position like Wade this year and provides depth?

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I don't see Colbert beating out Campbell or Benson at this point. Coaches love Jacobs. Maybe Colbert plays the Leo position like Wade this year and provides depth?
Uhhh...did Colbert ever play MLB?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
What I'm saying is Campbell and benson can fill the mike and will spots with niemann gone next year. I don't see Colbert beating out either of them at those two positions
Yeah, I don’t see him getting back inside. Colberts biggest weakness was in coverage though.

thrawn

Reaction score
My gut feeling says that guys who opt out anywhere wind up transferring or leaving. Not saying they should be punished, just seems like everyone will move on.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I can't imagine much of a future for a 220 lb DE who lost 5 lbs over his redshirt year and opted out his second year.

Colbert who knows what will happen. He still has two years left iirc but 2020 certainly had an impact on him.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Colbert was pretty good until the Holiday Bowl.

Maybe he’ll go the Kevin Worthy route and just be a quality backup/long snapper.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Niemann also gone, which makes sense. Very similar career arc to his brother but I think Nick may have a better NFL career

thrawn

Reaction score
I feel like Hankins has been on the verge of being really good for four years, but he’s still just fine.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I feel like Hankins has been on the verge of being really good for four years, but he’s still just fine.
He has a higher number of lame tackling attempts than anyone else on the team.