RATT and on the record - Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz as OC

Do you believe Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz will be successful as Iowa's Offensive Coordinator?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Simple question. Define successful as you'd like.

V

valp0

I believe that Iowa will successfully have an offense next season.

BLSardo

BSLardo, Carnie
Reaction score
This is just masterful work of the polling mechanics.

upload_2017-1-9_16-17-18.png

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz will usher in unprecedented success for the Iowa offense before his time with the program is done. Which will be in three years when he leaves to take over New England after Bill Belichick resigns amid a cigarette smuggling scandal.

Reaction score
@DGHawk @jabberjaw @nolookpass

2 of the 3 based on the other thread and the other on, well, forever.
I am sure a guy that has been on staff since 2012, is the son of the head coach, and has no play-calling experience is going to come in and really shake some shit up. I hope it succeeds, but you can describe me as skeptical.

Reaction score
I voted success. The design of the passing game is one area where Kirk has allowed his OCs freedom, sometimes to our detriment as with GDGD. Given Brian's background with the most efficient passing game in the NFL, I'm confident that he will at least fix the broken structure of our passing game.

As for the playcalling, that remains to be seen. The fixes to the design of the passing game will help a lot.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
crappy poll. Have an expert do it next time.

Reaction score
I voted yes because I think we'll see a return to the vertical play-action passing attack, or at least something less retarded than the GDGD "forcing the defense to cover the middle of the field is cheating" offense. If he brings any semblance of the New England offense here, i.e. terrorizing opposing defenses with beastly tight ends and a bunch of nobodies at WR, I will fap myself raw.

He's obviously a fierce competitor, and he seems to truly love this program. I'm in.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I really like the BF hire.

Bringing someone like KOK or David Raih that has a little bit of extra experience with passing game schematics will give me an extra degree of comfort...

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Go Hawks. You're either with us or you're against us. Vote yes or you're a terrorist.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I voted yes; I defined "success" as respectful enough to consistently win games. Iowa plays too slow to ever have a top PPG ranking, but something like a top 50ish offense is obtainable.

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to be wrong here if 'success' is 'better than GDGD'

Last edited:

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to be wrong here is 'success' is 'better than GDGD'
That's the beauty of it though. He'll never be quite good enough for those (the usuals) who voted no so you'll get to bitch and piss and moan like the little pansies you are. Fun!

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Did he fuck his wife before they were married? Because that matters to jabber. Faith and fucking your girlfriend matter.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I predict it will be similar to KOK. It won't be explosive or particularly imaginative. But it will make sense and not be the most retarded offensive game plan ever created.

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
They clearly aren't going to change the philosophy of pro formations but I could see them playing with a little more tempo, going no huddle more regularly and using that to grind on opponents. Back to utilizing TEs and quick slants that are more favorable to the WRs skill sets.

These things won't translate to more undefeated seasons but I think they will regularly be in the hunt for the west. Maybe bumping the average win totals per season from a bit under 8 with GDGD to 9-9.5 range under BF. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Reaction score
Miller brought up a good point on his latest podcast about using more 1 TE/1 RB formations in the power running game to take advantage of one of our strengths (OL). That seems like an easy transition, especially with average fullbacks to begin with. The only problem with that is you actually have to use the receivers once in a while (and not near the line of scrimmage) to keep the defense honest.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I'm deferring judgment until I see the rest of the staff. Keep Kennedy, and that's a tremendous red flag. Also needs to bring in someone with outside experience working with a real, non-dumbfuck passing game, imo. Do those two things and I'm all in.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I'm deferring judgment until I see the rest of the staff. Keep Kennedy, and that's a tremendous red flag. Also needs to bring in someone with outside experience working with a real, non-dumbfuck passing game, imo. Do those two things and I'm all in.
Why? If it's going to be his offense, it's going to be his offense. I assume they're past that point if they decided he was ready to, you know, coordinate the offense.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
You're understandably paranoid about any Davis philosophy sticking with Brian but it's kind of weird.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I don't perceive Brian to be an expert in passing game or QB play intricacies and think he needs help from someone who is. That's independent of any lasting scar the dumbfuck Greg Davis left on him.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I wouldn't like the hire then, if I were you. No matter who they brought in to "help".

Gushawk

Reaction score
I perceive him as capable of recognizing and adopting good ideas, I just don't really trust him
to effectively revamp a passing game that's this fucked up mostly on his own and with reference primarily to his own knowledge base. And I know the good new ideas aren't coming from anyone else currently on the staff.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I perceive him as capable of recognizing and adopting good ideas, I just don't really trust him
to effectively revamp a passing game that's this fucked mostly on his own. And I know the good new ideas aren't coming from anyone else currently on the staff.
Then they should have gone with someone outside of the program with more experience with the passing game, no? Just say you don't like the hire, Gus!

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I won't stand for all this waffling flim flam gayness, gustang. Not from you. Not now.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Not true. I like the hire depending on who he surrounds himself with. If it's Bobby Kennedy and AJ Blazek and that's it, then I'm not gonna be as optimistic about it. And none of you should be either.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I wouldn't like the hire then, if I were you. No matter who they brought in to "help".
Right. Brian is the coordinator now. He's in charge. If you don't trust him to revamp the passing game then it was a bad hire.

Gushawk

Reaction score
When the staff is finalized, I'll provide a very definitive view.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Not true. I like the hire depending on who he surrounds himself with. If it's Bobby Kennedy and AJ Blazek and that's it, then I'm not gonna be as optimistic about it.
Escape hatch engaged. RATT in full ready mode.

Gushawk

Reaction score
The poll response deadline is Sept 1, boyz!

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
This is a bad look for a distinguished poster. Wait and see pssshhhhh. Gus this is the Internet where the only acceptable response is a hot take that can and will be openly mocked when it's proved wrong. Unless you're Doug.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I'll go on the record as saying Raih would fit my bill, as long as Kennedy is gone too!

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Let's say you don't get to set all these pussy ass preconditions, Gus. What would you say then? Just throw it out there. Like a man.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I can see how those incapable of immediately recognizing Greg Davis as a horrible hire might be anxious and eager for a hasty dispensation of gustang wisdom here, but this one's gonna require a bit more time and information.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'm fucking pumped about BF and I'm willing to go on the record B/C I'm not a huge pussy like ol' Gus.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I can see how those incapable of immediately recognizing Greg Davis as a horrible hire might be anxious and eager for a hasty dispensation of gustang wisdom here, but this one's gonna require a bit more time and information.
The ultimate illustration that Gus refuses to accept we live in Trump America now.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Will you remain equally pumped if he does not relieve Bobby Kennedy of his post, @Geese?

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Will you remain equally pumped if he does not relieve Bobby Kennedy of his post, @Geese?
I would like to see Kennedy go, but honestly at this point I'm just really fucking excited about GDGD being gone. I think something as simple as throwing down the field and over the middle will help out a lot in our passing game, so I expect some improvement even if Kennedy is still on staff. Our WRs are pretty shitty so I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for our passing game next season.

If Kennedy gets the boot that is just gravy at this point.

Reaction score
Kennedy is almost certainly gone, KF is just doing his standard "go find another job before I fire you" to help him out. He even did that for that psychotic DL coach that went to Nebrantska.